The joys of sailing

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It not been a good day
Within 30 mins of leaving the anchorage in Methoni the autopilot wouldn't hold a course, quick check and the pin that hold the pilot arm on the quadrants broke in half .
It Means a day of hand steering , no big deal .
after a fast 8 hour sail with winds of F6 up our back side ,
we reef to round the second leg of the Peloponnese know very well as we change course we be on a close reach the wind is going to be stronger plus we can expect gust off the mountain,
Two miles on and one extra strong gusts and the little Handkerchief of a Gen give way .
Not much to do now , we anchor in the small bay port Kayio , wait till the wind dies down some time early morning and see how much damage there is and if we have enough sail cloth on board to repair it .
The joy of sailing .

dslittle

Visit site
Vic I emphasise with you. We have been stuck since Sunday waiting for a starter motor to arrive. The worst thing is that the weather has been perfect for the last couple of days for our intended passage.
Guess what the forecast is for when we ‘might’ be ready to go again!!!
The joys of cruising.

capnsensible

Visit site
Im leaving Lanza Friday morning, delivering a yacht to Benelmadena near Malaga. The wind in the Straits of Gibraltar have been westerlies for months. So natch by the weekend they will be shifting to the east.......

dslittle

Visit site
Im leaving Lanza Friday morning, delivering a yacht to Benelmadena near Malaga. The wind in the Straits of Gibraltar have been westerlies for months. So natch by the weekend they will be shifting to the east.......
Sorry Chris. If we were in the Med we could help you by planning to sail out to guarantee your continued Westerly. Have a good trip...

capnsensible

Visit site
Sorry Chris. If we were in the Med we could help you by planning to sail out to guarantee your continued Westerly. Have a good trip...

Cheers! Catch up one day. :encouragement:

Oh, passed through the Straits a couple of weeks ago on a delivery from Antigua to Barcelona (hows that for name dropping) and had the wind with us, so thats the way the mop flops.

Richard10002

Visit site
It not been a good day
Within 30 mins of leaving the anchorage in Methoni the autopilot wouldn't hold a course, quick check and the pin that hold the pilot arm on the quadrants broke in half .
we reef to round the second leg of the Peloponnese know very well as we change course we be on a close reach the wind is going to be stronger plus we can expect gust off the mountain,
Two miles on and one extra strong gusts and the little Handkerchief of a Gen give way .
Not much to do now , we anchor in the small bay port Kayio , wait till the wind dies down some time early morning and see how much damage there is and if we have enough sail cloth on board to repair it .
The joy of sailing .

Whatever problems you have had during your day of sailing in Greece, it beat the hell out of any of my recent days in the office :(

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You don't mention your fridge going on the blink, Vic, so presumably can still enjoy a cold one.
Cheers :encouragement:

DON'T mention the Fridge , it's working at the moment , manage to get a part from another member from here and so far so good . Funny how so call fridge engineers cost hundreds of euros can't find the problem but a cheap Chinese part costing penny's keep it going .

One A.

Visit site
It not been a good day
The joy of sailing .

If it becomes a bigger problem than you thought, there is a guy called Michael who works out of Kalamata marina who will fix the sail at a very reasonable price.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Fridges, oh fridges.... I was having a problem with ours, couldn't get it sorted despite much good advice from the forum. So gave in and summoned a fridge man via the office at Ionion. Expected the chap we got last time but got a new bloke, been working for himself for a couple of years: used to work for Paleros at Lefkas. He sorted it in a few minutes, mainly because he was explaining things to his 'apprentice'. Turns out that the terminal coming out of the control box for the fan are only designed to allow a certain amount of current before they decide things are out of kilter and shut the fridge down. Dimitris removed one of the computer fans fitted to keep things cool and, behold, the fridge works! Chraged me €40 for the job, which I thought reasonable even if it was only a five minute job, I'd been mentally prepared for a new fridge....

Contact details are liakosms@gmail.com, phone +396983046183. He does electrical items, electronics, fridges, air con, water makers and satellite comms. Nice bloke to boot.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Fridges, oh fridges.... I was having a problem with ours, couldn't get it sorted despite much good advice from the forum. So gave in and summoned a fridge man via the office at Ionion. Expected the chap we got last time but got a new bloke, been working for himself for a couple of years: used to work for Paleros at Lefkas. He sorted it in a few minutes, mainly because he was explaining things to his 'apprentice'. Turns out that the terminal coming out of the control box for the fan are only designed to allow a certain amount of current before they decide things are out of kilter and shut the fridge down. Dimitris removed one of the computer fans fitted to keep things cool and, behold, the fridge works! Chraged me €40 for the job, which I thought reasonable even if it was only a five minute job, I'd been mentally prepared for a new fridge....

Contact details are liakosms@gmail.com, phone +396983046183. He does electrical items, electronics, fridges, air con, water makers and satellite comms. Nice bloke to boot.
Hi Duncan
Over the last seven month we had three so call expert if I add it all up I could had buy a new unit , non found the problem although at the time them leaving it worked ,
but then I could get it to work the problem was it keep working after a few days , any way in the end I went back to putting on a cheap Chinese relay and one week on it still working fine .
The really problem is these guys buy a vacuum some gas and a set gauges,, and unless that solves the problem then they want to start changes fans,control , plates , keel cooler, compressor in that order until the problem sorted in other words they have no idea how to fault find but just keep changing part until it works .
I can do that without paying hour in there labour .

Last edited: