Sailing with long term illness

Wansworth

Visit site
Just set out,there’s a good year of poking about before you get to ACoruna….then the lower rias but you will need a stove for the damp if you winter in Galicia😏

OSSD

Visit site
For what it's worth, I find live-streamed content frustrating to watch - often it's just plain boring. Unlike watching the ocean & sky (yes, I am one of those sailors who finds [found] the empty ocean constantly fascinating). I could never understand those who say that they're bored on passage. But, we're all different and each to their own.

To the OP.
Good luck with your venture. More importantly, good luck to you.
I tend to agree. YT live streams tend to be somewhat unprofessional and not sufficiently planned. Unless you are REALLY into the content it tends to lose my attention. But it could be useful for sending video update back to base to be edited in.

Re being bored some context is required. I have never been bored sailing in the oceans and don’t mind the cold and wet oilies going on at 3am. Driving a large commercial vessel is very different. Nav officer has plumbed the route into the autopilot and the ship is driving itself. You are a long way from the surface of the water and the nonsense chatter on ch 16 is driving you bonkers! Eventually you look forward to the top of the hour so you have something to do by filling out the log and you can’t wait for the relieving watch!

Many thanks for your luck - I am going to need a bit I reckon.

Metalicmike

Visit site
You only live once and when you've gone through a medical trauma you realise how important that bit of life that's left. Your first step assuming that you have very little sailing experience is to enlist on a RYA sailing course, then see how you feel. (you should at the very least get your day skipper)

SvenH

Visit site
To become a writer you must write.
To "sell" a "product" you must solve a a problem or fill a need or desire desire.

There are several needs or desires that can be filled with video's about a sick guy working his way towards reliving his passion.
As far as I can see there are more reasons to try than not.

Last year a sailor in a similar situation passed away here in NL (well, Greece) . He had been very ill most of his life but that did not stop him. He ran a charity helping kids with severe illnesses to overcome obstacles, by taking them sailing, sometimes long distance racing.

He died age 50, with 2 or 3 aorta replacements and several other operations. Inspiring guy.

Good luck to you, whatever the course you take!

Last edited: