The French do the Fastnet with no fuss

dunedin

Visit site
Whilst we seem to make a huge deal out of racing to the Fastnet, and even give away our traditional race route, the French seem to just get on and race - and rounding the Fastnet, even from France, is no big deal ...... 51st La Solitaire du Figaro Stage 1 - Day 3

It does seem that in offshore racing, we are a long way behind in terms of capability now

matt1

Visit site
Whilst we seem to make a huge deal out of racing to the Fastnet, and even give away our traditional race route, the French seem to just get on and race - and rounding the Fastnet, even from France, is no big deal ...... 51st La Solitaire du Figaro Stage 1 - Day 3

It does seem that in offshore racing, we are a long way behind in terms of capability now
I'm planning a solo rounding of the Fastnet as a potential qualifier for the AZAB in June next year so was following them on the AIS. Interesting and some good speeds being acheived

dunedin

Visit site
And INCREDIBLY close and competitive one design racing, in a fleet of 35 boats. After nearly 4 days racing to the Fastnet and back
- the winner was just 1 minute 35 seconds ahead of the second boat, after match racing tactics to the finish
- the first 18 boats across the line within 30 minutes
Must be very exciting in a fleet that close
51st La Solitaire du Figaro Stage 1 - Overall

flaming

Visit site
And INCREDIBLY close and competitive one design racing, in a fleet of 35 boats. After nearly 4 days racing to the Fastnet and back
- the winner was just 1 minute 35 seconds ahead of the second boat, after match racing tactics to the finish
- the first 18 boats across the line within 30 minutes
Must be very exciting in a fleet that close
51st La Solitaire du Figaro Stage 1 - Overall
Must be flipping exhausting sailing in that fleet singlehanded, knowing that if you sleep you will lose places...

Birdseye

Visit site

Wrong way round IMO. The French do make a big thing of it which is why big French companies buy boats for competitors as a way of generating publicity inside France. They are way more nationalistic than we are so the idea of all these French successes in yacht racing is a good way of selling your products to French people.

Big British companies, the few that are left, dont behave like that. The last one to do so was IMO the British Steel Challenge, though Ineos / Land Rover do some support for the Americas cup effort. Will anyone buy a Land Rover as a result? Of course not.

flaming

Visit site
Will anyone buy a Land Rover as a result? Of course not.
Especially not now... As Ben dumped Land Rover for Ineos...

It's all about brand recognition etc though isn't it. You have the name Ineos associated with America's cup racing, and cycling, and that forms in your mind a positive impression of the company, so that when you come across them at another point you are more receptive to their message.

Or that's the theory anyway....

matt1

Visit site
Given the fleet size and closeness of racing I don't get how there aren't collisions between them. They must have their AIS alarms on a very short radius

Reassuring for anyone contemplating SH sailing and goes to show your chances of being on exactly the same bit of water as someone else at the same time must be very very small

flaming

Visit site
Given the fleet size and closeness of racing I don't get how there aren't collisions between them. They must have their AIS alarms on a very short radius

Reassuring for anyone contemplating SH sailing and goes to show your chances of being on exactly the same bit of water as someone else at the same time must be very very small
Basically they very rarely sleep. The new boats are so much slower with the autopilot driving that the skippers are spending very long periods at the helm. Odds of 2 boats being on a collision course and both under pilot with the skipper not looking where they are going are extremely small in that fleet.

ashtead

Visit site
Should you ever be in Cherbourg when the Figaro fleet is in its well worth a look as they prepare to depart . Completely different attitude on the pontoons to that found in Uk circles. Obviously a complete lack of fenders but in some way it’s like a load of french racing cyclists gathering as you walk about and listen in. As mentioned plenty of sponsors but perhaps tax incentives ? What’s culturally different is you seem to have a far greater level of interest from those who would normally be watching the cycles or suchlike and a higher level of media coverage to make it an event but perhaps the Cherbourg approach isn’t favoured in say The Hamble to attract a wider audience ?

Bobc

Visit site
Sailing isn't a stuck-up middle-class sport in France.

One thing I love to see on the Tour des Ports is all the teenagers in their "dirt-box" looking 22fters, sleeping on the sails and such. Look more closely though, and the boats are all very light (completely stripped out), and have very sorted rigs.

It seems to be more about the sailing and less about looking good out there.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
For those interested in the Figaro Solo race, a documentary describing the whole history of the race since the first edition half a century ago. French language only, though some very nice images. All the big "names" of French ocean racing come from that race; when the new Figaro 3 was introduced a number of them went back to take part in it even if now involved in Ultim, Imoca or AC.

Documentaires

Birdseye

Visit site
Basically they very rarely sleep. The new boats are so much slower with the autopilot driving

OK its off topic but is this really true? It could be, probably is, that I am a crap healm but I always reckon that the pilot is marginally better than I am because it doesnt lose concentration. And I defy anyone not to lose some concentration when going without sleep.

But the real point I was making about LR is that British people (as a sweeping generalisation) , dont buy British products because they are British and in some cases avoid them because they are British. Thats why BL went bust and the likes of Renault and FIAT survive. Its why there is no British yachtbuilder but there are big French ones. So there really is no point in the few big british companies left financing yacht racing because the adverisiting value is close to nil. Ineos do so because thats one rich man who is patriotically inclined - its not a business decision as such.

matt1

Visit site
The B&G pilot (9 axis) on my boat sails the boat faster then I do (albeit she is a cruiser) even in waves. I have struggled with it steering to apparent wind but I think that is user error on my part , I haven’t got to grips with it yet

[178529]

Visit site
Living mostly near la Trinité, wandering down at the weekend just brings home how ahead France is generally with sailing and racing. Many of the big trimarines are moored here and provide great interest. The marina is stuffed full of pogos, djangos, b2s and Archambault's . You suddenly realise that the UK doesn't really make yachts anymore. Maybe it has just lost interest in sailing.

halcyon

Visit site

One thing I love to see on the Tour des Ports is all the teenagers in their "dirt-box" looking 22fters, sleeping on the sails and such. Look more closely though, and the boats are all very light (completely stripped out), and have very sorted rigs.

It seems to be more about the sailing and less about looking good out there.

That's one of our problems, back in the late 80's Mylor boats were commuting to France, 27 foot boats, now we have 40 foot boats that do not leave the moorings. We have now been bought up on H&S, we see the danger, not the joy or challenge.

Brian

Birdseye

Visit site

"Stuck up" ? Or chip on shoulder?

Of course sailing in both countries is a mainly middle class sport. Only the middle class can afford to buy a boat. If that is, you believe there is such a thing as "class" these days.

[178529]

Visit site
"Stuck up" ? Or chip on shoulder?

Of course sailing in both countries is a mainly middle class sport. Only the middle class can afford to buy a boat. If that is, you believe there is such a thing as "class" these days.
There isn't really the same class system at all in France. Or Ireland thinking about it.

halcyon

Visit site
I really dont know what you think exists in the UK and doesnt elsewhere.

Do not think it's class, just a different type of owner. Back in the 80's go to Mylor all the owners had vans with their name on, or basic car, but owned a old but well matained boat, on a summer day the moorings would be empty. Today you have SUV's and top end cars, new boats and during summer the mooring remains full.

Brian