The Forum Burgee.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Since I retired from providing them. Do folk still fly them. Is the new system working, or is the community spirit now dead.

Are there still big rafts of forum boats, on big get together's. Do we still have a forum Christmas party??

Do we still get marquees provided at marinas, for big forum meets?

What happened to the forum panto.

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Hi Hadyn,

I can't really answer some of the questions as before my time here, but I fly the mouse with pride and always keep eyes open for others! I got mine from you anyway so not used the new process. I also find the community spirit good - have met an number of fellow YBW forumites and communicated via PM with many more and all have been great folk. On a small scale we also do our best to promote the social cruising etc. I tried local pub meets, but most were just a couple of us I'll perhaps try again soon! I think perhaps because many local boat's owners live further afield and aren't local at the same time. Most of our boat gatherings are outside of the YBW forum and in that aspect, Facebook fortunately/unfortunately (depending on viewpoint) seems to work well. Aside of the Fletcher Rally, we've participated in 3 small 'on the water' gatherings since May and have another in the form of a cruise around from Torquay to Dartmouth this weekend. This last one evolved from on friend down from Stoke-on-Trent and has grown to 5 or 6 vessels by last night - a couple local plus Plymouth, Wales & Swindon! I have steered a number of boat enthusiasts to this forum as I find it the best in terms of people, input and broad coverage (geographic and in terms of boats/knowledge). The biggest downside I find here for posting is images which have to be resized, uploaded elsewhere and linked whereas F/B uploads and resizes in one action and that produces more spontaneous responses. Never partaken in a forum Christmas Party, but more than happy to meet up with any forumites visiting South Devon if we can :)

Best regards,

Robin

rafiki_

Visit site
I too have a genuine HLB supplied pennant which gets flown when appropriate. There is a good mobo community down at Portishead, some of whom are regulars on here, some not. A few of us are going up to Bristol for the Harbour Festival this weekend, and aim to kepp the spirit/wine/beer flowing.

oGaryo

Visit site
I too fly the original HLB provided pennant.. we used to do Beer and Natters but that appears to have fallen by the wayside too. c'est la vie, things move on and we generally don't need the formal events these days now that the forum is established, long term friendships built wirh little groups of buddies meeting on a regular basis without the formalities

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
We used to fly one of the original pennants but unfortunately it had a bit of a hard life and has now been retired. I understand they're collectibles now!

I contemplated getting one of the new ones, but the price made my eyes water.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Since I retired from providing them. Do folk still fly them. Is the new system working, or is the community spirit now dead.

Are there still big rafts of forum boats, on big get together's. Do we still have a forum Christmas party??

Do we still get marquees provided at marinas, for big forum meets?

What happened to the forum panto.

I took my 'special one' to Cardiff last weekend but, while there were several other forumeers around, no-one remarked on my 'wearing of the green' on the port signal halyard, with the RNLI Guv'nors' pennant I found in the same drawer. This special forum pennant was in BRG green cloth, which I haven't seen elsewhere. The darned thing went west - literally - off the Culver Sand while my attention was diverted, and I miss it.

See here....

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?402244-Lost-stolen-strayed&highlight=lost%2C+stolen%2C+strayed

NickTrevethan

Visit site
My old one went with the old boat, so I'd love a new one. And a new red ensign as some toerag pinched mine yesterday.

Of course not having big sticks and white flappy things on this motorboat, not sure where to fly it.

gravygraham

Visit site
Still got mine thanks Hadyn. And unfortunately I can't remember seeing another being flown here in Kent. We're off down the south coast tomorrow so will keep my eyes peeled!

Firefly625

Visit site
Hadyn,

I have my original burgee as you supplied me some years ago, put up whenever we are on board, getting a little tatty round the edges now... but it does get noticed and have met various other forumites who have spotted it. The best bit is I bought 2 from you, I still have a brand new "original" which I may break out for our summer holiday...

But through this forum I have met some really nice folk, only yesterday afternoon I pulled into Mercury car park and spotted a couple of old buffers sipping tea sitting on a trailer deep in contemplation about goodness knows what, and it was nice to be able to join them! :)

maybh1

Visit site
The community spirit is alive and well Haydn

The support I got when I was wading my way through the trauma of Paul's illness was just wonderful:encouragement: I am sure that Pauline feels much the same at the moment and don't forget how the Forum rallied round in your hour of despair. I shall treasure the messages of support and advice I received

I have been to loads of Forum Meets with the East Coast crowd - curry nights in London, Laying up parties etc etc and have had really good nights with great people

Mikej has also held two Do's which have been just brilliant

We do have a Forum Burgee but as the boat seems to have taken up residence in Fox's Yard Shed for the forseable future whilst she awaits new windows there is not much of a chance to fly it

It all seems to be going on under the radar - but I believe the Forum is alive and well (even if it is a bit predictable at times)

May
xx

duncan

Visit site
whilst my 'special' was last seen leaving Cherbourg on a supposed round the world voyage it's replacement is raised and lowered in unison with the ensign :)

the long retired original hangs (sort of) in the workshop as a reminder of better days!

ricky_s

Visit site
I still have my original one from HLB and did use it once at an East Cowes meet up last year. Did see others flying theirs that weekend but don't think I've seen one since.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yup my several forum burgees have adorned my various boats for years. I have yet to see another one in the Med though

Greg2

Visit site
Despite having been on here for a long time I never got round to getting a burgee. I tried on one post-Haydn batch but didn't make the short list and I have no idea what the 'new process' is. All suggestions gratefully received :)

jac

Visit site
As a Raggy we proudly fly ours whenever we're aboard but never spoken to any forumites because of it. Can see Lisilous from our boat but apart from that one not seen others when out and about.