Swinging Mooring Thames

benlui

Caribbean-South IRL-East Coast UK and everywhere e
Visit site
Im looking to put my boat on a swinging mooring somewhere in the Thames, within easy reach from Central London. The marinas are too expensive in Central London itself, so I'm looking anywhere within an hour or slightly more reachable by car from Central London.

Trying to do this without great costs, is that even possible in the Thames? I may consider a marina berth, but i think its just a bit expensive for now. Any advise much appreciated.

Im looking to move the boat over from IRL next month If I can. She's a 28 footer S/Y draw 1.6m.
My aim is to get down maybe an evening or two a week and the odd weekend, so close reach is kind of a priority. Also, as I don't know anyone on the area, are there clubs who would keep an eye on the boat while on a swinging mooring? Someone who would take my contact details?

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Cantata

Visit site
The Medway indeed, an hour would be fine. Several clubs there with swinging moorings.
On the north side of the Thames, there's also Thurrock YC you could consider if you really want to be on the Thames.
On the south side, also Gravesend SC. I don't think they have very many swinging moorings but you could try.
Erith YC has a very large number.

philld

www.bitbucket.plus.com
If you are willing to consider the Crouch, Fambridge Yacht Station is 1hr 2mins from London Bridge according to Mr Google. If you are willing to add another 12 mins, you've got the Yacht Clubs at Burnham. Both these options also have railway stations.

As mrming has said, it all depends where you are in central London. If you are on the south side the Medway would be a better bet.

Concerto

Visit site
On the Medway, besides Medway Yacht Club, there are the following clubs with moorings.
Hoo Ness Yacht Club
Upnor Sailing Club
Medway Cruising Club
Seagas Sailing Club
Old Wilsonians Sailing Club

There are also some moorings off Upnor Castle that are classed as Royal Engineers but you may not qualify if not in the services.

All of these are full tidal access with dinghy access and parking close by.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
My desk used to overlook the Greenwich YC moorings, and all I can say is I wouldn't want to keep my boat there. Just downstream is where the muck lighters are moored up and taken east in bigger batches, it's very lumpy and the boats rock and roll a lot...

JAYEL

Visit site
Thurrock Yacht Club, 5 mins walk from Grays Station, on the Fenchurch/Southend line, or A13 from central London Come down and take a look. Access to water at all states of tide. All marina facilities at do it yourself prices. Helpful and knowledgeable sailing staff. Lift out facilities. Large car and boat park. For a 28footer you would expect to pay £600/700 per year for swinging mooring, Membership, locker. and tender. Excellent clubhouse. Club night and racing Thursday evening. Give us a call on 01375 373720. always someone there every day from 09-30 until 17-30, or better still come down on a Thursday evening and check us out. Thurrock Yacht Club, Kilverts Wharf, Grays, RM17 6JF.

benlui

Caribbean-South IRL-East Coast UK and everywhere e
Visit site
Thank you for this information. Im interested in this, as from East london is super easy. Im interested in a Marina berth thru this coming winter and a swinging mooring for the summer, is there any issues/wait lists for berths? I may try to get down over the next few weeks to have a look and meet and greet. Also, does someone keep an eye on the moorings, I mean Im assuming the club keeps contact numbers etc to be able to alert me if something were to happen? Thanks again for the useful information its very appreciated.