Superyacht Crew Training

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
We rarely have crew when we are not there, but on the occasions we are not then they have the run of the boat ( there is no way to stop it).

The crew cabin is really just a place to sleep. The crew ( who is more often than not male not female in our case) is kept pretty active for the whole day and evening by the time you have done cabins, breakfast, lunch, dinner, washing, ironing, swum with kids, driven rib round and round in circles etc! If it is just my girlfriend and I they are pretty under employed and we only have crew during that time if it is between busier periods.

We are a family boat so the individual becomes part of that for the duration. The boat is big enough for them to partially vanish but given its size they naturally share to some extent the same space.

For a pretty small amount of money having summer crew turns running a bed and breakfast for kids and friends from a chore to a true holiday.

I know I am relatively unusual is using seasonal crew on a 58 foot boat, but those who haven't should give it a go - especially if you have kids. The cost is about a tank of diesel.

Thanks, that answers my question.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Not sure which J you’re referring to.

On most yachts with professional crew, there are strict rules about the crew using the guest living spaces when there are no guests aboard. A typical set of rules will be crew cabins are out of bounds except for boat maintenance and housekeeping. The main lounge areas will have crew covers on all soft furnishings and canvas crew covers on the carpets.

Sun cream on the teak is a flogging offence. Etc etc.

You usually get the use of the toys and diving gear but during the charter season there’s very little downtime to give you opportunities.

Perhaps that’s why some crews dream of a family owned boat where the family is generous and kind but doesn’t use the boat all the time.

Thanks John, I was referring to the other J (jrudge) who has answered my question.