Sunsail Rip Off

ccscott49

Visit site
Thats nothing! Nautic Mahon in Alcudia, charge €50 an hour for a worker, and pay them €6, now thats a rip off!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Where does anybody get the idea that self employed yacht skippers get paid or their national insurance get paid when they're not working? Retainers?? Ha!

I'm just grateful I don't work full time in the yachting industry in this country - if you don't work you certainly don't get paid, - and nobody else pays your National Insurance/pension/etc etc

Just to be controversial - it is not the same in the motor-boat scene. If I had to work full time earning my living yachting, I know where I would go! Please note! I am not suggesting Sunsail is any better or worse in this respect. Some schools are better than others at paying their staff, but the basic principles above apply in all the ones I've had dealings with.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AOWYN

www.clinksystems.com
It is usually the people that don't know a margin from a hole in the ground that know the least about running a business. As Adam Smith pointed out the baker does not get up at 4 am to make bread for the love of his fellow man, and of course if Sunsail is such a rip-off then going into competition and undercutting their prices should still be very lucrative.......

<hr width=100% size=1>

alant

Visit site
This 'mark-up' is normal.
'Pay' for Qualified Skippers (including Instructors) is very poor - a Yachtmaster Instructor can get as much as £75/day (when the sailing school decides to pay up - rarely without chasing for some prominent ones).
Many Skippers are expected to 'work' (at least be on-call) for a 24 hour period, with the punters never seeing the 'principals' of the school/charter company at all.
However although the MCA have recommended hours of work, this is impossible to police. The MCA & the RYA will step aboard charter & school boats - checking out the required bits of kit are correct, but do not check out how many hours the skipper has been working for & are totally uninterested in the levels of remuneration- even though this could reflect upon the safety of the boat/crew.
Work out the hourly rate on that & would get better at Tesco (without the responsibility).
Imagine a corporate charter, with at least 6 punters (none with any boating experience), they will expect to learn sailing in the morning - have a liquid lunch (mandatory for most events companies) - have a sailing 'race' in the afternoon - arrive back safely in all weathers - just step off the boat leaving their squaller - with little thanks because they think the Skipper has received the whole amount charged (fat chance).
What a grand life we lead.

<hr width=100% size=1>