Sunday afternoon smile [smile]

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
On a lighter note.

Being in a state of "resting" now, I was detailed by SWMBO to go and clean the bog (as my Mum is coming later).

So, one starts using the bath cleaner stuff and notice the name - "Cif". Tell me who in their right mind would rename a perfectly good product as "Cif".

The original name "Jif" suggests breezy, quick cleanliness. A job well done. Sparkling perfection. Upon being asked to clean the bathe you'd say - "I'll have it done in a Jif!"

Cif of course suggests a sexually transmitted disease. Here the response might be "I'll go and get the Cif!" "OK dear - don't be too long".

Not quite the same effect.

Must be something to do with those Euros!

Magic

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

claymore

Visit site
Ulay to Olay

Gone from a pleasant suggestion - You lay.... to a bullfighters victory call
Perhaps they'll change Islay to Elay which will make it sound like something to do with carpet

regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rabbie

Visit site
Re: Ulay to Olay

You're dead right mate. And lets hope the Spanish don't get to grips with Domestos. Probably name some plonk thus.
Rab.

Forbsie

Visit site
Isn't Sellotape in Australia called ....................Durex?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

Shanty

Visit site
Re: spanish...

First day at school in the States. Fresh from the UK at the age of ten. Made a mistake in what I was writing, so stuck my hand up & asked the nice lady teacher for a rubber....... that's when I discovered the American word for condom.

Artemis

Visit site
Re: Domestos

The Achia Claus winery in Greece produce "Domestica".

I gather the marketing campaign they ran in the UK didn't have a great deal of success...

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I seem to recall..........

...a brand of (?German?) fizzy orange called pschitt.

Conversely, the reason Vauxhall's Nova became the Corsa is because the original name didn't travel well ("No va" is Spanish for "doesn't go"). In the same vein, you may recall a campaign for French golden delicious apples a few years ago, which used the tag line "le crunch". It's said that the original proposal from the (English) ad agency was to use the line "le bite". Unfortunately, this is a French expression for a portion of the male anatomy that you wouldn't necessarily want to get your teeth into...........

Finally, does anybody know the Norwegian for "yacht broker"? I seem to recall it's similarly hilarious, but can't remember why.