Summer Sailing on the West Coast

bikedaft

Visit site
The remains of the rock are still there, quite a few shattered bits of stone, all that is left of the glacial erratic that the navy blew up some time ago. The 4 onshore painted rocks marking the rock have been allowed to fade/weather. You can stand on it at LW with your head out the water. (Been swimming in there for 40 years)

ctva

Visit site
No update yesterday as Loch na Cuilce (Loch Scavaig) has no phone signal, 4G or any kind of G other than G&T. Please note, no blue sky…
0637567D-0ED6-4419-B5F6-ED38E0489736.jpeg

Today, a wee bit further up the west coast of Skye after having broken the ice to leave. Note Bob still safe with his safety line.

E5240789-A93E-494A-B995-9549BCF2D166.jpeg

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
click on the pic, they are all captioned (i think). Flickr is not always great on a mobile, try a destop etc?

this could be anywhere, though - by Erraid;
Ok, I’m not the smartest. Where is the N Coll bay? They ain’t ducks, no idea what they are but I don’t think they’s ducks. Faery Isles, only a few miles from where we keep the boat but never been there, must do. Great selection of pics btw.

awol

Visit site
I had a terrible fortnight in May - storms, clouds, rain, pirates, bitey things...

Boat May 2021
I have reported this post for gross breech of forum guidlines, at least as interpreted by me. You realise you will be responsible for the demise of anyone daft enough to think that is what the west is really like.

ctva

Visit site
I have reported this post for gross breech of forum guidlines, at least as interpreted by me. You realise you will be responsible for the demise of anyone daft enough to think that is what the west is really like.
Don’t worry, I think the next few days updates will restore normal service.

Scomber

Visit site
where is that anchorage? I'm based in Kip so am well aware of the West Coast midges :) and spend 2 nights storm bound in Canna in response to AWOL
Did you try to anchor ,and drag? Had some entertainment there when the wind blows and folks and their anchors get involved with the seaweed?

bikedaft

Visit site
Ok, I’m not the smartest. Where is the N Coll bay? They ain’t ducks, no idea what they are but I don’t think they’s ducks. Faery Isles, only a few miles from where we keep the boat but never been there, must do. Great selection of pics btw.
Cairns of Coll - you need Antares charts.

Of course they are not ducks ☺. I have some twitcher friends who are easily wound up... Guillemots i think.

Thanks!

ctva

Visit site
Well, let me start by saying Loch Bharcasaig is NOT any good with swell when there is SW winds as indicated in the pilot book and Antares charts! ? And it was only SW4-5. A very uncomfortable night. We won’t be back.

However, today we came round to Dunvegan, a very sheltered and nice place with the usual dolphin welcoming committee.

0A4B2FDE-0EB9-4328-A7DD-CFE2742419BF.jpeg
Misty MacLeods maidens.

B4C87108-D9A2-4B65-89FF-90DA35CB34A2.jpeg
Neist Point, still misty.

330025CE-4B21-4AC9-91B4-9D92057137BB.jpeg
If you look carefully, you can make out Dunvegan Castle in the ‘bright sunny’shot. ?

Malbec now being quaffed.

PS. Thanks to @Kelpie for some local info. ?

Kelpie

Visit site
No worries, shame you weren't here a week ago! I suppose the low mist obscures the hoardes of other yachts that are apparently everywhere this year (I wouldn't know, deep in to a house renovation project and boat hasn't left the mooring yet this year!)

alan_d

Visit site
I suppose the low mist obscures the hoardes of other yachts that are apparently everywhere this year (I wouldn't know, deep in to a house renovation project and boat hasn't left the mooring yet this year!)
I made my normal (if slightly delayed) start of season trip from Dunstaffnage to Loch Sunart yesterday and the Sound of Mull was unusually busy.

ctva

Visit site
When we went up the Sound of Mull last week, we did notice it was a lot busier than normal for June when neither the Scottish or English schools are off. However on the west of Skye, it is quiet, only 3/4 in at Dunvegan although the breezy weather may have something to do with it. Will be interesting to see what the inner sound and south is like over the next couple of weeks.

Weather update: wet and windy…

Quandary

Visit site
I am not sure that school holidays influence sailing much these days, the times when we took our weans cruising with us seem to be long gone, even seeing a pre menopausal wife or partner is unusual, just grumpy old gits and their long suffering spouses now.