Summer Sailing on the West Coast

D

Deleted member 36384

... just grumpy old gits and their long suffering spouses now.

I am afraid your remote and isolated boating shields you from the truth. If you happened to enjoy the pleasures of marinas, like the much harangued Craobh Marina, by people who don't frequent it, because decades ago, someone dared to advance West Coast sailing beyond wet, haired shirts and anchorages, you would see that your observation are not true.

Only this weekend, a family on a yacht were preparing their dinghies and SUPs, loading them on the boat, before they set sail from said marina. Previously I have talked to other boat owners with their offspring impatient to get going. Lots of MOBOs this year with grandchildren shrieking with joy at the excitement of boating. Only last weekend, anchored as described in this thread, one of the boats that pulled in had a young person on it!

(-; They are out there, in greater numbers than you suppose.

Being serious, you do have a point, when you and perhaps my generation fall off the edge of the world, sailing may well be in terminal decline.

wully1

Visit site
, like the much harangued Craobh Marina, by people who don't frequent it,

What? One of the friendliest, helpful marinas going ,not to mention having the best views ever?

Even better now with the wonderful cafe at Craobh Watersports - where you can hire SUPs, kayaks and dinghies- on one side and the recently refurbished Lord of the Isles pub, now serving food, on the other.

D

Deleted member 36384

What? ...

It's incredible how many times loss of that anchorage is brought up, not just you JD, or the building sight comments, or the number of times its passed through different owners, or the houses are so poor quality etc. Its a bit like you will get your boat vandalised at Dunstaffnage or that Puilladobhrain is only fit for newbies. I have been going to Craobh since at least late 80's, and love the place, as well as Puilladobhrain and the walk to The Trowser House.

wully1

Visit site
I like Craobh very much. It's just a shame that we lost a nice anchorage for it and that it has been a building site for forty years ...

1. Anchor in Lunga Bay? it’s not like the west coast is short of secluded anchorages if that is too busy for you.
2. Building site? Just wait until they properly get started on completion of the original plan..

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It's incredible how many times loss of that anchorage is brought up, not just you JD, or the building sight comments, or the number of times its passed through different owners, or the houses are so poor quality etc. Its a bit like you will get your boat vandalised at Dunstaffnage or that Puilladobhrain is only fit for newbies. I have been going to Craobh since at least late 80's, and love the place, as well as Puilladobhrain and the walk to The Trowser House.
Perhaps that accurately reflects how annoyed people felt about having a fine anchorage turned into a building site for many years? I like the marina and have seriously considered basing my boat there. The land side of things is a still a bit of a dump and the "pub" is pretty dreadful, but that doesn't bother me. And anyway, I have been to Carrickfergus.

Quandary

Visit site
And anyway, I have been to Carrickfergus.

Aha JD another opportunity for you to malign Carrickferegus, it is a deprived wee town that lost most of its industry but nothing like as sad as Larne. But the Sailing Club there (of which I am still a member) is one of the most vigorous and democratic in Ireland, sending competitors to the Olympics, it has a fine castle and some traditional Irish pubs a welcoming marina and a competent boatyard. You must have spent your visit in Wetherspoons?

awol

Visit site
Aha JD another opportunity for you to malign Carrickferegus, it is a deprived wee town that lost most of its industry but nothing like as sad as Larne. But the Sailing Club there (of which I am still a member) is one of the most vigorous and democratic in Ireland, sending competitors to the Olympics, it has a fine castle and some traditional Irish pubs a welcoming marina and a competent boatyard. You must have spent your visit in Wetherspoons?
You forgot the King Billy on a horse statue!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Carrickfergus itself is a nice enough place, even if the social feel is a bit awkward for the outsider (or, presumably, the Roman Catholic). Whole lotta red, white and blue. I was referring specifically to the marina, which is a rectangle of perfectly acceptable berths surrounded by a 1972 East German housing development, and is the dreariest place I have ever visited by boat. Very handy for Sainsbury's, though, and the castle is a gem.

Last edited:

ctva

Visit site
I can report that I’ve never been to Northern Ireland, not through any reason other than I’ve just not got there yet despite Q extolling it’s virtues every time we meet.

Well this morning it is sunny but still 20 ish kts through Loch Dunvegan. We might even get ashore this evening when the wind is due to abate…

dimdav

Visit site
On a lighter note and as we wait for more pics...

I told my wife that I think I'm becoming obsessed with Beyonce

Wife said, whatever floats your boat

I said, no that's buoyancy