Summer Sailing on the West Coast

Kelpie

Visit site
Yes, two trots of 5 yellow visitor moorings. Very new and shiny. I think lots are getting lazy and only go where moorings are available. Considering you could anchor several hundred boats in here, I share your thoughts.

I believe the moorings were supplied by the fish farm company. Bit of goodwill to the community.

cpedw

Visit site
I believe the moorings were supplied by the fish farm company. Bit of goodwill to the community.
Community on Rum - apart from deer?
There's a QR code on the mooring buoys to facilitate paying the £10 fee. But no internet on EE or O2 in Loch Scresort :confused:

Stemar

Visit site
Today’s stop, Loch Breachacha, Coll.

The sun, castles (two!!), deserted sandy beaches are all just photoshopped. ?
View attachment 117520
It's all right, we Sassenachs know it's the one day a year when it isn't raining and the reason the beach is empty is because the midges have carried off the holidaymakers to suck them dry at leisure

D

Deleted member 36384

Great Saturday sailing in the Sound of Jura, quiet anchorage but Sunday winds were too lite, so motored back to the marina.

51261377098_a7590d15dd_4k.jpg

Another member of the RYS enjoying Scottland's West Coast this weekend. This boat's tender, looked like a classic Riva, about 20' LOA, went whizzing past and then they pulled it up a ramp into the stern.

51261395088_a0ecfe7ab7_4k.jpg

Cheeky Girl

Visit site
Great Saturday sailing in the Sound of Jura, quiet anchorage but Sunday winds were too lite, so motored back to the marina.

51261377098_a7590d15dd_4k.jpg

Another member of the RYS enjoying Scottland's West Coast this weekend. This boat's tender, looked like a classic Riva, about 20' LOA, went whizzing past and then they pulled it up a ramp into the stern.

51261395088_a0ecfe7ab7_4k.jpg
where is that anchorage? I'm based in Kip so am well aware of the West Coast midges :) and spend 2 nights storm bound in Canna in response to AWOL

D

Deleted member 36384

... where is that anchorage? ...

Eileen Mor in the Maccormaig Isles at the entrance to Loch Sween, Sound of Jura.

There are two anchorages, one at the mouth of the inlet, in 5m, one at the wide bay at the end of the inlet, in 3m. There are two rocks in the wide bay that restricts depth at LW if your keel is around 2m and swinging room; the small cliffs to the left of the landing and the rock slopes to the right have rings that can be used to moor and restrict swinging. Some kelp but sand patches can be picked to drop the hook in.

I would anchor further in than I am in the picture. One of the rocks was just at my stern.

Tides flow strongly each side of the island and if sailing at slow speeds it can be tricky getting to the north as the boats flow with the tide. Some shallow reefs near by.

The island is maintained by NTS with an old church ruin, monks cell in a cave with a later ruined church added, stone Celtic cross and a grave at the southern end. When we were there visitors on a RIB arrived, out of Tayvalach for a visit plus one other yacht that left. I have been here a few times and this is the first time we have met others.

Outer anchorage I would use in stronger winds if forecast wind direction was a weather shore as holding is good. Fairly deep close to the shore as sides rise steeply from the inlet.

claymore

Visit site
Agreed - we always get inline with the middle of the landing place, beneath the bothy. Try as I might we have yet to find the rock. There is talk that it was blown up years ago but I thought you might find debris - which we never have.
Lovely place for overnighting - perhaps not in strong northerlies. Good coffee stop on way north from Gigha

claymore

Visit site
Churches rarely if ever point any other way for some strange reason.
Its interesting to see that it seems to line directly with little chapel in the loch - is it Na Keil just up the way.
This drivel is produced on my mobile phone and solely dependent on my memory with no help from a chart, AA book or anything else
Apologies

wully1

Visit site
And the grockles are out...
Belfast coastguard, Islay lifeboat and a helicopter were casualty working this afternoon when a plumby voice asks CG for a radio check...then wants to know where the nearest transmitter is.

SaltIre

Visit site
Churches rarely if ever point any other way for some strange reason.
Its interesting to see that it seems to line directly with little chapel in the loch - is it Na Keil just up the way.
This drivel is produced on my mobile phone and solely dependent on my memory with no help from a chart, AA book or anything else
Apologies
The chapel to which you refer is, I think, the one at Keills which is dedicated to St Cormac - as is the one on Eilean Mor in the MacCormaig Isles. The loch on the mainland, which looks south between the two, is Loch na Cille.
Keills Chapel and Cross

JumbleDuck

Visit site
View attachment 117611
Bob reckons the rock has gone but the bits remain.
I preferred it when he didn't set himself up a sailing directions guru as well. Has he really been there often enough to lecture about the holding? With which, incidentally, I have never had problems, including overnight stays and (fetch the smelling salts) expeditions ashore with nobody left on board. Eek.

In Ye Olde Days I used to tie my Jouster up alongside at the sheer rock which is, I think, about his 1.3 sounding. I haven't tried doing the same at the new jetty, because the place is getting busier and it seems a little antisocial.

Last edited: