Stupid - hit breakwater stones ...

Refueler

Visit site
Looking good !….interesting that the yard isn’t used to bilge keels…have you got the right hull for the local waters ?

We have no tide to speak of ... water levels change with wind direction and rainfall / snow melt.

We do not have drying out boating areas as UK etc. Therefore Fin keels are the norm. I only know of mine and one other BK boat permanently here ...
No point in yard having provision for Bilge Keels ... for the odd one or two that winter here - they stand on wood blocks.

My need was to raise the boat so GRP guy could work inside of that keel ... but we did not want to stand boat on its keels until that is finished.

William_H

Visit site
I notice in one photo a stain on the hull above the water line. I get tormented by this stain on my little boat. I can clean it off with oxalic acid or even half a lemon. (in water from the water). I wonder if waxing the topsides above the A/f would help stop this stain. It appears after just a couple of months in the water. ol'will

bikedaft

Visit site
Once the inner keel joint is ground, filled, matt / resin ... then it will be light overall sanding of hull ready for primer where GRP work made and then overall Antifoul.

Once that's done - she can be stood on her keels .....

Final phase is then to rebuild the cabin 'furniture' ... when removing to access the internal keel area - woodwork was found rotten ... but lets be honest - boat was built in about 1973 .... so that's not bad 50 odd yrs !!
I have new woodwork cut using old as patterns ready to install.

3khe0hml.jpg
love that cooker! we had one for about 40 years in a 1973 Halcyon Clipper 27. cannot remember which part could not be replaced in the end... everything had been replaced several times, perhaps it was the back/chassis?

(Dad got stainless pot "grills"? made up, as the mild steel ones kept rusting. but the new ones were so massive they acted as heat sinks... )

Refueler

Visit site
I notice in one photo a stain on the hull above the water line. I get tormented by this stain on my little boat. I can clean it off with oxalic acid or even half a lemon. (in water from the water). I wonder if waxing the topsides above the A/f would help stop this stain. It appears after just a couple of months in the water. ol'will

You mean the brown water stain ?

Oxalic takes that off ... but it returns soon after launch ...

I used to remove it easily with Cilit Bang Lime and Rust Toilet cleaner - but later when 'greenies' made Cilit Bang change the formula - it no longer did the job.

I've waxed - tried all sorts to delay the staining - but it still appears.

Refueler

Visit site
love that cooker! we had one for about 40 years in a 1973 Halcyon Clipper 27. cannot remember which part could not be replaced in the end... everything had been replaced several times, perhaps it was the back/chassis?

(Dad got stainless pot "grills"? made up, as the mild steel ones kept rusting. but the new ones were so massive they acted as heat sinks... )

That is an original Calor Gas brand Cooker ... only matter is that the oven 'flame' is worn and i ts either low or full on with little variance of control - BUT it still all works a treat ... Full English - no problem.

Its not gimbal'd ... its fixed - but I have still provided a good meal of it while heeled under sail.

Ribtecer

Visit site

I used to remove it easily with Cilit Bang Lime and Rust Toilet cleaner - but later when 'greenies' made Cilit Bang change the formula - it no longer did the job.

I've heard you can fix the problem by have it "mopped" where they remove the top layer of the oxidised gel coat.

I need to try it on my boat.

Refueler

Visit site
I've heard you can fix the problem by have it "mopped" where they remove the top layer of the oxidised gel coat.

I need to try it on my boat.

Good luck ... I've heard so many 'remedies' for it .. we can add another one ...

Best one I heard was paint boat brown !!

Let me know if it works.

Refueler

Visit site
Too late now but a little concerned ... the slings carrying front have settled and now the pads have slightly deformed the hull .. you can see when looking along the hull. Hoping that when she's out of the cradle - the hull will 'pop' back !

GRP guy is taking advantage of the good weather and cracking on with completing on the inner underhull side of keel. Once that's done and cured. There will be general light sanding of the hull and an application of primer where needed and then full antifoul job. May as well seeing as she's up high - making job much easier.

Then recent idea was to drop mast - launch her and motor her round to home mooring (have to pass under 3 bridges). But now because we still have to clean up interior and then fit new plywood bulkheads / galley furniture ... we are looking at getting my truck pal to bring her to home .. stand her next to my workshops where we have power / tools etc. to complete the interior work.
If I was to 'sail' her round - then I still have the lift out to do .. so why not just truck her home .. cost about 100 - 150 euros ... (yard lift in to water would be about 80 anyway ...).

Before next season - have to consider how to set about moorings ... thinking to add a narrow finger so MoBo one side and this sailboat other side ....

johnalison

Visit site

According to one source, the staining/wax builds up and it is necessary to refresh the hull with cellulose thinners before rewaxing. A friend did this and it looked good at the time, but I don’t know the end result.

Bouba

Visit site
Too late now but a little concerned ... the slings carrying front have settled and now the pads have slightly deformed the hull .. you can see when looking along the hull. Hoping that when she's out of the cradle - the hull will 'pop' back !

GRP guy is taking advantage of the good weather and cracking on with completing on the inner underhull side of keel. Once that's done and cured. There will be general light sanding of the hull and an application of primer where needed and then full antifoul job. May as well seeing as she's up high - making job much easier.

Then recent idea was to drop mast - launch her and motor her round to home mooring (have to pass under 3 bridges). But now because we still have to clean up interior and then fit new plywood bulkheads / galley furniture ... we are looking at getting my truck pal to bring her to home .. stand her next to my workshops where we have power / tools etc. to complete the interior work.
If I was to 'sail' her round - then I still have the lift out to do .. so why not just truck her home .. cost about 100 - 150 euros ... (yard lift in to water would be about 80 anyway ...).

Before next season - have to consider how to set about moorings ... thinking to add a narrow finger so MoBo one side and this sailboat other side ....
€100 to transport a boat ?
I don’t think most truck drivers would get out of bed for €100

Bouba

Visit site
He transported my pontoons ~180kms to my home .. lifted into river ... all for 150 euros.

At sellers :

vRomPSnl.jpg

At home :

kKv7kujl.jpg

ryA0hiol.jpg

pb0k6kml.jpg

but now re-arranged with pontoons in a line across canal ... easier to run electric / water etc.
Tell him...that with your contacts here...he could work all round Europe....for mates rates😳😜