STUDLAND - How much do they want???

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldharry

Visit site
Studland - where are we at?

At risk of being accused of double posting, I am posting here in 'sticky' an enlarged version of a post elsewhere giving a summary of the two sides of the argument to date.

There are two arguments, both backed by fairly solid scientific data, which I can refer you to if you wish. There is also a loophole in the legislation, kindly provided by the RYA at the draft stage of the legislation.

The conservation, anti anchoring argument is: Eelgrass beds in the sheltered portions of the Bay are home to a range of marine species, including two protected species - the Undulate Ray, and Seahorses. The Seahorse Trust discovered in 2002 that Seahorses are breeding there - the only known site in the UK. As an aside is perhaps unfortunate that Undulate Rays eat Seahorses, but that is a fact of nature! Seahorse Trust Divers have found a number of gaps in the Eelgrass bed, which they attribute to extensive anchoring activity, and they asked Dr Clifford of Southampton University, an expert on eelgrass, to investigate. He conducted a 2 year survey and concluded that anchoring 'could' (his word) damage the eelgrass beds, and therefore advocates 'caution' (again his word). Conservationists therefore believe that the area should become an 'MCZ with bottom protection' in order to conserve the eelgrass habitat. 'MCZ with bottom protection' means that any activity that could disturb the seabed, such as anchoring, is prohibited.

The pro anchoring argument was much less focussed which is why BORG became involved to help give a coherent response: On the science of the damage of the anchoring debate, both BORG and the RYA, having studied the reports, firmly believe that the evidence provided is insufficient in a major social and recreational facility to justify banning anchoring at all. This view is based on Dr Cliffords own evidence: shortly before WW2 he tells us the Eelgrass beds in the bay were almost wiped out by disease. BORG has confirmed this from Luftwaffe aerial reconaissance photographic surveys taken before and during the war. The eelgrass beds re-established themselves and have been growing ever since. Throughout the entire recovery phase, Studland has been increasingly heavily used as an anchorage for small boats, and prior to the boating boom it was heavily trawled by local fishermen - an activity known to damage and destroy eelgrass. Dr Collins is on record as saying that the eelgrass beds are in good condition (BBC Open Country 18/12/10). Eelgrass is slow growing but has extended to over 1 sq Km area in the bay in spite of the heavy frequent anchoring activities. BORG does not argue that the beds might not be larger and better if that had not happened, but we, with the RYA maintain that anchoring has not prevented the re-establishment of the grass beds, and is therefore in the terms of the MCZ legislation a 'sustainable activity'. i.e. not only is the Habitat is not under threat of extinction or destruction of the Eelgrass because of anchoring, but is surviving quite well and expanding. The gaps and holes in the Rhizome layer of the Eelgrass bed (the root mat that it develops, which gives it cohesion), are in some cases attributable to moorings and bad anchoring practices. However we find that gaps in eelgrass beds are a normal feature, brough about by fresh water ingress (Eelgrass dislikes fresh water and does not grow near stream and run off points) and are also caused by regular current flows near the bottom. These are features not evn mentioned by Dr Clifford, but which have prominence in reports by other researchers elsewhere. Dr Clifford survey lasted two years. Eelgrass is a slow growing plant, and other researchers have found that it does re-establish over a 5 year period. Conclusions based on a 2 year study must be at least highly questionable.

It is unfortunate that due to the aggressive attitude of conservationists from the outset the debate around Studland has become deeply polarised. Both boat owners, and local residents have been engaged in a long, bitter and acrimonious debate for nearly two years over the whole question of 'Management' of the Bay, so that little meaningful debate is now possible.

Finding Sanctuary - the regional body responsible for collecting data and submitting MCZ recommendations to DEFRA have already nailed their colours to the mast by saying (9/12/10, FS website) that they will NOT consider an outright anchoring ban in the bay, but boats will always be able to anchor there for 'reasons of safe navigation'. BORG supported by RYA have asked them to define 'reasons of safe navigation'. There has been no response to date.

MCZ legislators insist that when considering an area for MCZ status the 'social and economic impact' of doing so must be assessed and taken in to account, and should as far as possible be minimised. Until very recently, nobody has bothered to count the boats in Studland, so there is little data to go on. Natural England is in the process of conducting a survey, the interim results of which I have seen. BORG from its own first hand knowledge of the Bay produced estimated figures, which, when adjusted to allow for the NE survey indicators, suggest between 10 and 12000 boats a year visit the bay. This means that in excess of 25 or 30000 people visit the bay by by water each year. NE figures suggest this may be a lot higher, and the real figure may exceed 40k.

This in turn indicates that Studland Bay is among the top most heavily used and important open sea anchorage in the UK, possibly in Europe even. Clearly the 'Social impact' of closing it altogether, or even any serious limitations on its use is greater here than anywhere in the UK waters, within the classification of Sea anchorage. The 'economic impact' would also be substantial, as even if only 20% of vistors go ashore, that will impact Studlands local economy by up to 8000 vistors. Then within the wider region the supporting infrasructure of the boating community in Poole would be affected as vistors no longer have this beautiful facility and turn elsewhere.

Tomorrow (tuesday) BORG will be represented at the final meeting of the Dorset Local Group, whose task it is to submit data and recommendations about the possibility of Studland becaming an MCZ. This will go the 'Regional Stakeholder Group' of Finding Sanctuary who will consider the submission, and may ask for more inforation and data before passing the submission on via Natural England and the MMO to DEFRA for Ministerial Approval (or otherwise!) in 12 months time. There will be further consultation and information gathering processes along the route, in which BORG has been promised a place alongside RYA.

It is very important to remember that there is NO DIFFERENCE between the proposal for an 'MCZ with bottom protection' for Studland, and proposals for most of the other sites in the list in my earlier posting. The ONLY difference is that Studland has received much publicity, and is therefore headline news. While we are all busy shouting the odds over Studland, many other areas are being quietly recommended for 'MCZ with Bottom Protection Status', behind our backs! Balanced Seas is much more cagey and circumspect about for example major Solent and East Coast anchorages. Try and find out what is REALLY happening there, and Studland pales in to insignificance. Dont just take my word - go and have a look for yourselves if you can find it buried in the mumbo-jumbo of jargon and smoke screen.

Last edited:

Eon

Visit site
Sharing

Whats wrong with sharing the mooring with the wild life if our Angkor are damaging the sea bed which is taking a few years to recover then why not let them put down pick up buoys in the areas already damaged and ban dropping the hook studland could police it and charge a small fee for maintenance of the swinging moorings in the busy periods this is a way forward as i think we may win the battle but I've got my doubts about the war,:rolleyes:

oldharry

Visit site
Most boat users would agree that the incredible environment we sail in needs to be looked after properly, and a lot of us are distressed (and I can point you to dozens of posts saying this) about for example the commercial interests that are just hoovering up every living thing off huge areas of the seabed regardless in the interests of profit, then throwing back everything they dont want, or are not allowed to keep because it is too small to be allowed to land as a commercial catch, having killed it all anyway.

And if there was genuinely something that was clearly at risk from anchoring in Studland Bay as one Poole yachtsman said to me recently, we would be out there helping them to protect it.

But if you re-read my post above more carefully, you will see that the evidence we are being given does NOT prove that the eelgrass beds are being damaged by even a narrow margine by anchoring out there.

However it seems that the governments advisors are likely to decide otherwise anyway, and some form of management and anchoring bans will come in to being if they have their way. BORG is now working hard with Finding Sanctuary, governmental Marine Advisors and the RYA to get at the truth of the matter, and to try to find some way forward which will allow us to continue to visit this beautiful place while meeting the government's conservation objective quota targets. For in the final analysis that is what is actually happening. Conservation quotas are being busily filled with little reference to people who actually use the sea either to make a living or for recreation.

Seahorses are no longer part of it, except as a quota target element.

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
Whats wrong with sharing the mooring with the wild life if our Angkor are damaging the sea bed which is taking a few years to recover then why not let them put down pick up buoys in the areas already damaged and ban dropping the hook studland could police it and charge a small fee for maintenance of the swinging moorings in the busy periods this is a way forward as i think we may win the battle but I've got my doubts about the war,:rolleyes:

The little fee for picking up a mooring buoy will become big to pay for the man and boat to collect the money. Can't comment about elswhere, but at Studland the eel grass seems to spread further out each year and last year gave me the most problems in anchoring at Studland. Around 4 attempts to get the anchor to hold to my satisfaction.

Seajet

Visit site
There is also the little mentioned fact that a relatively few eco-moorings at Studland Bay will not be of much use to the numbers of visiting boats in good weather, especially as the wave action is generally too much to allow rafting.

It seems a fair bet that high speed powerboats from Poole - with different mooring characteristics to sailing boats - will get there first.

Good luck to them, but the difficulties need to be explained to Finding Sanctuary, allowing relative late-comers, sail or power, to find their own space to anchor; and of course if given the choice it won't be on Eelgrass !

The BORG and other relevant bodies are due to meet to discuss this.

Last edited:

SailBobSquarePants

Visit site

Everywhere this has been tried in the Med, the reports from sailors visiting is that they never install ENOUGH eco moorings to meet demand. Take a look at the aerial photos of Studland, and you can see what looks to be boats in the HUNDREDS on a nice Saturday afternoon. They will probably drop 10-30 eco moorings and call it a day - this has been the pattern elsewhere.

And the eelgrass is not taking a "few years" - according the the scientists involved (on the conservancy side!), the eelgrass runs in decades long cycles of bloom and bust. It has now been recovering since WWII! So it is not like a temporary ban would be temporary in actuality.

Eon

Visit site
Studland Sharing

Hello All,
I have had and still have problems with satisfy the environmental people mainly with quality of soil and meeting the demands they set along with balancing ponds and discharge of storm water Etc, don't get me wrong my feet or keel is truly on the side of freedom however I've seen the ever increasing legislation on whats good for us, we may be able to hold back the tide for a while but i still think its good to have a plan B yes boat hook you right the cost of a man with a small boat would put the cost up how about paying on line or by mobile phone text with the buoy number I'm sure there would be a way congestion charge springs to mind! however I'm getting of the point unless we do some thing we are in danger of losing the right to moor at many places. We need to have a compromise plan thats good for all I can't plough up a green field to build homes until I've re-housed all the snakes, snails, frogs etc Hardway sailing club is having trouble straighting out its pontoon because of trout and flying birds this is going to get worst and the only way to handle it is compromise.

Eon

Visit site
Everywhere this has been tried in the Med, the reports from sailors visiting is that they never install ENOUGH eco moorings to meet demand. Take a look at the aerial photos of Studland, and you can see what looks to be boats in the HUNDREDS on a nice Saturday afternoon. They will probably drop 10-30 eco moorings and call it a day - this has been the pattern elsewhere.

And the eelgrass is not taking a "few years" - according the the scientists involved (on the conservancy side!), the eelgrass runs in decades long cycles of bloom and bust. It has now been recovering since WWII! So it is not like a temporary ban would be temporary in actuality.

I agree trouble is i can't think of anything else to suggest I have moored in studland about 6 times in the last years as i favor swanage the beers better but i can see whats coming well done with the web-site if theres any thing i can do please just ask.

Seajet

Visit site
Eon,

the snag with even 100 moorings is that the conservationists themselves say it's more like 300 boats on a summer weekend.

We have to fight for the right to anchor if there's not a mooring available - IF any more moorings are laid at all, that is just an idea at present.

oldharry

Visit site
Eon,

the snag with even 100 moorings is that the conservationists themselves say it's more like 300 boats on a summer weekend.

We have to fight for the right to anchor if there's not a mooring available - IF any more moorings are laid at all, that is just an idea at present.

The fundamental problem is, who pays to have the moorings laid, whether its 30 or 300? And once they are there, who runs them, insures them and maintains them, and pays for a man in a boat to go round and collect fees for using them? And how on earth would it be financially viable even on a 'break even' basis, without an unrealistically high charges. Of course the costs would be cut considerably if you left the little man in a boat out of the equation - but then how does it get paid for?

If ANYONE has any sensible/realistic/workeable suggestions then I would like to hear about it, because this is the major stumbling block of the whole idea. I am given to understand that if a limited number of moorings were in place this would be seen to 'take the pressure off the eelgrass beds sufficently' for the anchoring ban not to be needed.

The whole thing is very like telling visitors to a beauty spot they cant park their cars there any more unless they arrange to put in a car park for themselves. Totally unrealistic, but thats what we may be faced with.

ANY ideas, anyone?

WestwardBound

Visit site
Is there anything like "environmental protection credits" that can be awarded to companies which would sponsor moorings. BP comes to mind, especially since they have plenty of access to commercial divers and tenders/barges.
Or perhaps the companies involved in the nearby offshorew windfarms could similarly sponsor morrings. Too big ?
Local businesses could sponsor buoys if a way could be found to advertise this. Small businesses might like the good will generated by this among the crew local and visiting boats but they would need the connection to be obvious. Perhaps a little plaque or similar on the mooring pick up.. That might be hard to sell outside of marine businesses but and the moorings will be expensive enough that a small business could not help much. Not great ideas but I haven't any better ones at the moment.

Seajet

Visit site
WestwardBound,

actually I think they're very good ideas.

We're already trying to explain to local businesses that a lot of trade will be lost if Studland goes,as a great many boats stop off there before or after Poole, and without the anchorage Poole becomes a pain of a diversion with tidal gate problems etc.

Obviously costs and numbers, and whether there will even be any buoys is all in the air at the moment, but I'd have thought local businesses, not necessarily marine, would be keen to get their name on a mooring at the right price.

Racing marks in the Solent are sponsored...

Eon

Visit site
I think we need to break it down, as there are a number of points here

1, Who is the governing body of this patch of sea bed and is it possible to get the necessary permission to do this.
2, How is the set up going to funded and by whom.
3, Who's going to manage it.
4, What about liability / insurance
5, Visitor numbers. I think we need to realistic and work on a first come first serve idea like Lymington town quay or Yarmouth when its full its full you can aways moor further down the beach, but to cater for 333 if thats the maximum visiting craft at one weekend in the height of summer is a bit over the top, and to have several moorings swinging empty the rest of the time isn't cost affect or helpful to the environment. ( needs looking into)
6,Is the BORG able to open discussions on this?

Like the idea of local business funding.
Wind-farms know there eggs when it comes to driven pile.
But maybe the racing marks type mooring maybe best as these could be removed in the winter.
Hate to say this but what about MDL or one of the other big marina boys yes i know we would be looking at 26 quid a night as a last resort maybe

Seajet

Visit site
Eon,

steady on...we don't know what 'the plan' is yet by a long way, hence all the meetings; and yes BORG is discussing options with those concerned, but a way yet before we start talking about any buoys let alone numbers.

Robin

Visit site
Sledgehammers to crack eco nuts

We don't need a mass of expensive eco moorings to solve a problem that is not even yet proven to exist. By all means stick some down as (free) replacements for the few local moorings but to mess around and spoil this bay with a whole new mooring field is complete and utter eco madness. As one who has been anchoring (and swimming and snorkelling) in Studland for nearly 40 years, I have seen the eel grass increase significantly over this time, to the point where finding a clear sandy spot to drop the anchor on is getting harder. Any comments of it being damaged by anchoring from recent studies and especially from the SHT are no more than 'instant observations' until some proper scientific research is carried out over several years, anything else is like using today's weather to justify or disprove global warming.

All that we need in Studland is to be allowed to anchor, simple and uncomplicated, just as it has been since Noah. The seahorses haven't minded so far or they wouldn't be flourishing and increasing in numbers, breeding even according to the SHT, and the eel grass is growing not vanishing.

NOHOH

Visit site
Here Y`are Cobbas

The Aussies have got THIS idea... http://www.capemarine.net/swingmooring/swingmooringmedia/SMP_Brochure.pdf

All we need is ten or twelve of THESE.... designed to take up to 30 boats each, each of the first ten sponsored by one of the ten largest British Companies and provided free to users...and the last two sponsored by Seahorse Huggers Anonymous and the Diving Academy.
They would certainly enhance the look of the place, and break up the swell in a stiff south-easterly......and no...I`m not entirely serious (of course)....and no I`m not being entirely facetious either

Seajet

Visit site
Robin,

I'm with you, certainly Plan A ! It looks as if there may need to be a compromise with some eco-moorings, fine as long as the rest of us can anchor; we'll see.

Nohoh,

my steam driven PC ( well, self actually ) can't open your file, but I know someone who can, so will have a look out of curiosity...

oldharry

Visit site
I think we need to break it down, as there are a number of points here

1, Who is the governing body of this patch of sea bed and is it possible to get the necessary permission to do this.
2, How is the set up going to funded and by whom.
3, Who's going to manage it.
4, What about liability / insurance
5, Visitor numbers. I think we need to realistic and work on a first come first serve idea like Lymington town quay or Yarmouth when its full its full you can aways moor further down the beach, but to cater for 333 if thats the maximum visiting craft at one weekend in the height of summer is a bit over the top, and to have several moorings swinging empty the rest of the time isn't cost affect or helpful to the environment. ( needs looking into)
6,Is the BORG able to open discussions on this?

Like the idea of local business funding.
Wind-farms know there eggs when it comes to driven pile.
But maybe the racing marks type mooring maybe best as these could be removed in the winter.
Hate to say this but what about MDL or one of the other big marina boys yes i know we would be looking at 26 quid a night as a last resort maybe

You make a number of interesting points Eon: 1. Studland Bay seabed actually belongs to Crown Estates, who until recently were not worried about laying moorings. There are 53 mooring sites owned by Studlanders in the bay, 35 of which are in current use. Crown Estates have put a moratorium on laying any more pending the outcome of the discussion about conservation managment issues.

2,3 and 4. Bottom line is, unless these questions can be answered, there will be no more moorings in the Bay

5. BORGs estimate is that 10,000 boats anchor each year in the Bay. Natural England did a survey, which suggests that figure is low, but have not published the result, although I have seen it. The conservationists say this places too much pressure on the Studland Eelgrass bed, which is one of the most important ones, if only because it is still growing. I think this is their response to our claim it doesnt need protection, for the same reason!

6. BORG is currently leading discussions between government conservation advisors, the MMO and Finding sanctuary, with RYA, and SBPA 'on side' to find a way forward that meets the conservation needs, without closing the anchorage. There is a possible solution which all parties are considering at present, and we will need quite a few more discussions with all concerned before we can say we have a way forward. But unless that solution is agreed, and your points 2,3 and 4 can also be answered, then the governments advisors will seek a conservation order that closes the Bay as an anchorage. This, even if Finding Sanctuary decides to recommend after 2 years study, that it should remain open. FS are still looking at the Bay, and will make their recommendations in August this year.

The final decisions about the Bay, and the whole MCZ process will be made at government level this time next year, but local and regional recommendations have to be in place by August 31st this year.

Last edited:

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I've said it before and I'll say it again, MCZ's are OBLIGED to take into account 'social impact'. If the figures for boats impacted by any legislation in Studland are at or above 10,000 then I can't imagine any other site having a greater social impact.
I strongly believe BORG, RYA et al should be pushing this line VERY hard. There is a strong possibility of being compromised into insignificance.

Status
Not open for further replies.