Coast Guard Policy on tasking a rescue

ylop

Visit site
Does anyone know what the policy is to task a lifeboat to rescue a stricken vessel?
My experience of listening to CG comms is almost the exact opposite from you imply - you are likely to get a lifeboat even if you were just keeping them informed about a problem!
At one point they informed the distressed vessel they would need to arrange for a commercial tow,
Did the skipper tell the CG on the radio what assistance he wanted/required? Thats supposed to be part of the PanPan call - often the CG have to tease these details out of people BUT if he said “I require a tow to Portland” that will have been his downfall… if he just required a tow to the nearest port of refuge (or to shallower water / the sea start area) he may well have got a different response.
totally exposed and in approximately 50m of water, anchor was down but they couldn't have had much scope out to hold in bad weather.
Did he communicate his lack of scope to the CG? Was the wind blowing on/off shore? Were conditions expected to worsen? Presumably the anchor held for 4 hrs so it wasn’t that marginal.
How long do you have to wait?
You “have to wait” until you say or do something to trigger an upgrade, and no alternative exists. The CG don’t decide to launch a lifeboat, they decide to ask a lifeboat to consider launching. The launch authority at the lifeboat then has to weigh up the factors involved. The fact he was anchored not drifting wouldn’t have helped that balance, if he tasks the lifeboat to a long but low risk tow it’s not available for any mayday in the area for several hours - they MIGHT be able to reanchor the casualty and respond to a mayday but unless coincidentally close not quickly. One of the launch authorities questions (in his head if not aloud) should be “who else could go to their aid”.
This was an 8m vessel so I felt okay to tow them but what about bigger motorboats, the chance of another pleasure craft coming along big enough to tow a boat over 40 feet for that distance is pretty remote.
But the CG also knew what size he was and likely how much other traffic was around. A 20+ mile tow for a 40+ft vessel - probably ends up being a fishing boat, a large well equipped RIB, a pilot boat or MOD launch or another large pleasure. In many cases they will tow you where they are going, or where is least out of their way.

When you responded and said you were happy to tow - that removed the need for a lifeboat. Had you said I’ll go and see if I can help, then called CG to say vessel too big, conditions too poor, etc that would have updated their picture and let the MRCC consider the options. The surprising thing is they had been there 4 hrs when you arrived - was it exceptionally quiet or were no other vessels in the area offering assistance? Or had they spent 3.5h trying to fix it themselves without advising CG?
I actually feel concerned if I were to find myself in their position.
Did they seem “concerned”? Was that obvious from their comms? I suspect part of the decision process is “does the skipper seem to have this under control.

What was wrong with the boat? A towing bridle is a useful thing, but a can of fuel and fuel filters are probably more helpful for a lot of breakdowns.

ylop

Visit site
When sailing back from Ostend yesterday (Sunday) there was a pan pan from a yacht with an engine issue . It seems it was 10 miles east of Ramsgate & wanted a tow. Dover CG seemed to tell them to forget it & use their sails (10-15kts east so Ok but 1.5-2m swell)
Pan pan went on for ages & finally they got to Ramsgate. But as it was getting dark. Ramsgate port said that no one was available for a tow. So more pan pans as they sat outside. We could not get the full story so there may have been other issues.
What surprised me was that after about 1.5 hours the CG finally told them a lifeboat was coming from Margate, NOT Ramsgate, to tow them in.
Seems really odd that no one would come out of the harbour to get them. I am also surprised that there was no lifeboat at Ramsgate. Or at least one available for manning. I did read that manning was becoming an issue due to crews being fed up with "wasting"(depends on one's view of life) time picking up rubber dinghies & suffering abuse from occupants of said dinghies, as well as abuse from those ashore, who do not want the occupants to arrive anyway.
This must put the RNLI in one hell of a dilema.
SO. Is there an RNLI at Ramsgate ( cannot discuss dinghies on the forum so please do not) If there is , is it currently manned?
Any possibility the ramsgate boat was already tasked on another job? Or off service for a repair? Your hypothesis about manning issues sounds unlikely to me as for everyone you describe who opposes the use of lifeboats for such work, there are several who applaud it.

wallacebob

Visit site
Kinghorn RNLI Lifeboat | Burntisland
Shouts! 46 & 47 of 2024

At 13:25 this afternoon we were called to the aid of a yacht off Fisherrow that had a suspected engine fire at sea. Whilst the Fisherrow harbour master took the vessel in tow, our crew treated the owner for smoke inhalation and sea sickness, then handed him over to the Scottish Ambulance Service for further treatment on shore.

At 18:10 this evening we launched to assist a yacht off Kinghorn that was struggling with their sails in a freshening Easterly wind. One of our crew boarded the yacht and helped them to bring their sails down/under control, before helming their boat to Burntisland for further repairs. Kinghorn Coastguard were on hand to help us berth the yacht up when we arrived.

In both cases, these yachts had been recently purchased and this was their first sail under new ownership. We would thoroughly recommend getting to know how to operate your new vessel before taking it out for a trip, and where possible ensure you have experienced people on board to help you fix any issues that arise during your shake down.

#sar999 #rnli #proudofourcrowd

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Am I correct in assuming that the cost of a commercial tow would need to be met by the boat owner and that his insurance are unlikely to cover it (if it was simply mechanical failure and not an accident)?

ylop

Visit site
Am I correct in assuming that the cost of a commercial tow would need to be met by the boat owner and that his insurance are unlikely to cover it (if it was simply mechanical failure and not an accident)?
That seems likely - the one possible exception would be if you could convince them that if you didn't get a tow then the boat would have been at risk of sinking / serious damage. A neighbour in a marina last year had had a commercial tow for about 10 miles (admittedly from marina to marina so not an urgent job/call out fee) but it was "only" about £250 - which in the scale of boat ownership is not that much. He just phoned around a few places which do workboat stuff / service moorings etc.

Richard.C

Visit site
There's some here that are critical of the OPs question but have previously accepted a tow from the RNLI when a commercial tow was offered (and then take the mickey out of the OP rather than answer his question)

There's always more criticism online than constructive help, given my recent experience I thought sharing of towing company options could be of benefit to many. Anyway doesn't appear any information is available from respondents so far. If nothing else I hope's it's raised awareness for some as the experience did for myself.

wonkywinch

Visit site
There's always more criticism online than constructive help, given my recent experience I thought sharing of towing company options could be of benefit to many. Anyway doesn't appear any information is available from respondents so far. If nothing else I hope's it's raised awareness for some as the experience did for myself.
We clearly share different views about the function and purpose of the CG/RNLI. I also don't have a list as my boat has large bits of white flappy cloth and I consider under most circumstances, I could sail myself back to a safe haven/anchorage.

SC35

Visit site
I've had some strange experiences offering assistance.
Most notable was one dude in a smaller motorboat who had lost power near a shipping channel and put out a Pan Pan.
I responded, and threw him a line - it took a lot of persuasion for him to take the line as he was paranoid I was going to put in a salvage claim :ROFLMAO:
In the end, he accepted, I towed him out of the shipping lane then the RNLI rocked up.

The first question the Coastguard seem to ask these days for a Pan Pan is if you are a member of Sea Start.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Yeah, fully appreciate the RNLI is not intended to be a breakdown service, but how do you get help if you need it? Would be really nice if the Coast Guard had a solution to offer for a fee and not to just be left to your own devices or until it became a mayday.
I agree. Particularly if someone is out of range of a phone signal. What happens if nobody answer the radio and/or nobody is able to offer a tow?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Well done firstly, and if I was the rescued boat I would demand you take a payment for your troubles , at least £200 to cover fuel and your leisure time .
Well done again.
Be more than £200 she was a right thirsty bugger when I liked playing with her green lumps .