STUDLAND - How much do they want???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailBobSquarePants

Visit site
For those of you following Studland Bay threads, you will know that the there are plans being discussed to further restrict anchoring in Studland Bay, perhaps even further than the current voluntary no-anchor zone.

The MMO has been set up with the power of decree in this matter, and it taking it's guidance from regional authorities. The one covering Studland Bay is called Finding Sanctuary, which I guess gives some of the thoughts on it's slant.

Finding Sanctuary itself is looking at polls being conducted by organisations such as the Marine Conservation Society, who are firmly set on getting as many conservatories approved as possible. They have an interactive website to conduct their "poll" (which automatically defaults to a "YES - I want a sanctuary there" vote), and which also shows pictures (the ones for Studland include fouled anchors left in the delicate seagrass, right next to the seahorses in the next frames...).

One of the pictures shows their preference for a new, ENFORCED no-anchor zone. The text of their spiel tells at great length how "all users can share the bay".

But what is hidden in their proposal is the nature of the bay itself, and it's value to boaters. The southern extent of Studland Bay is the only Southerly and Easterly protected anchorage from Kellyhaven to Swanage, and is a much needed refuge for yachts in times of blows and unexpected storms.

Indeed, the utility of the southern extent is best shown on Google Maps, which has satellite photos of the bay - clearly showing boats using the bay, and WHERE they are using it (because it is sheltered).

I have taken the liberty of taking a Google Map, and performing a scale overlay of the MSC proposed ENFORCED no-anchor zone:

Studland%20Bay%20Overlay%20-%20Google%20vs.%20MCS.png

As you can see, the vast number of boats (those not obscured by Google's refusal to publish sea maps) fall squarely into the proposed ENFORCED no anchor zone (outlined in blue lines)!!

That is the MSC's "solution" - take the area most of value to boaters, and propose that we move our anchorage into the unprotected northern reaches, in the interest of "sharing" with scuba divers and the seahorses.

I just wanted to point this out graphically, so that we can see what is being proposed - not in text, but with our own eyes.

Last edited:

SailBobSquarePants

Visit site

Seajet

Visit site
It shows exactly the area I'd want to anchor in for safety in the advent of a storm.

Yup. Now why am I not falling over in surprise ?...

This will have to be bounced straight at the Finding Sanctuary / Local Group rep',

I suggest everyone possible sends their comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seajet

Visit site
OK mail sent to Ms Betts re. the MCZ depicted in sailbob's post, hope everyone does the same.

Has anyone got a map, or even an idea to describe, re. the Voluntary No Anchor Zone - VNAZ = which is meant to be in situ' at Studland right now ?

I haven't found it yet...or rather I have, on the reply Caroline Price sent to me but I can't open it; anyone ?

http://www.dorsetwildlifetrust.org.uk/voluntary_no_anchor_zone_vnaz.html

I would point out that the RYA's policy towatds MCZ's and other info' on their approach can be seen on the links Caroline Price sent to me on the 'Look Out - The MMO is Coming' thread, suggest these links are well worth a look.

Last edited:

oldharry

Visit site
'Building Block iA11' proposed seabed conservation area actually covers not just Studland bay, but mosty of Bournemouth Bay on a line drawn from Peverill Point at Swanage, to a point S East of Dolphin sand, back to Hengistbury Head. This could limit or prevent any activity on the sea bed, including commercial, oil exploration and anchoring.

The chartlet is the area for conservation proposed by the MCS, a registered charity,who who have no actual jurisdiction except as one of a number of advisory groups being consulted by MMO.

The specific proposals for Studland as shown on the chartlet involve the preservation of the 'Eelgrass beds' and would if put in place disallow any activity which is damaging to them - primarily, anchoring. The contention is that anchoring is causing irreversible damge, and the beds do not heal up, This is based on findings of a 2 year study by Dr Clifford of Soton university wh has published a paper showing that anchoring is not a 'sustainable activity' in Studland. That is, the eelgrass 'does not recover', and the damage caused by an anchor observed ripping through the grass bed 2 years ago is shown to have if anything increased in size. The sand in the exposed patch is looser and the fine silt that binds it together is lost by wave action which undercuts the rhizome mat (root mat to you and I) of the adjacent bed. The conclusion is therefore that "the eelgrass beds are being irreparably damaged and are at risk of being lost." Anchoring should therefore be stopped before the beds are irreversibly damaged.

I saw this presentation last week, at the MMO meeting.

The fact remains this damage has been continuing for 80 years, and the beds have not been lost, and ALL the photographic evidence of damage was recent.

I was hauling lumps of weed out on my anchor 35 years ago. There is now no trace of that damage that I can see.

MMO, who are responsible for the final decision, and putting legislation in place have told me this afternoon (monday) that they will need to engage with a wide range of different interests, not least the boat owners, if any management of the bay is considered necessary. They think it is too early to say at this stage.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
When I spoke to Caroline Price of the RYA today she stated that 'there is no evidence yet that anchoring does cause any damage, which is why the Voluntary No Anchor Zone was tried, as a 'Control' specimen'.

As I mentioned earlier, she went on to say that due to poor publicity, boats had still anchored in the VNAZ, so the results are either inconclusive or of no use; I don't know where they're planning to go from here, I got the impression the VNAZ would be tried a while yet.

Which is why I am keen to see a map of the VNAZ, I cannot open it for some reason;

http://www.dorsetwildlifetrust.org.uk/voluntary_no_anchor_zone_vnaz.html

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
I have actually joined facebook (shudder!) in order to register my support to keep anchoring allowed...............what do I do next? Yes, I KNOW this is getting boring for everyone out there, please bear with me, I am actually running Ccleaner right now.........so could somebody point me at the right page (www.address please) so that I can contribute to our boating future. As usual, thanks in advance....and sorry for the hassle.

Seajet

Visit site
Facebook

If you look at your own home page there should be a search box, probably near the top.

You only need to type in 'studland' and the 'save Studland campaign' should come straight up.

Any prob's please say...

Status
Not open for further replies.