Strobes - did anyone use one in JAC 08?

Dyflin

Visit site
Just reading Heavy Weather Sailing at the moment where a boat had one fitted and used it successfully during storm conditions. I think that in those circumstances no one would argue with you as to the rights and wrongs.

AFAIK they mentioned how useful it was for aircraft & helicopters to pick out in the seas etc.

srm

Visit site
Way back in the 70's I was working in the Persian Gulf. Local boats had a light bulb mounted on the top of their masts giving an all round white as their only navigation light.

I have been wondering if this may be better than a tricolour for a slow moving vessel (5 knots or less) as it will have a greater visible range for a given power than coloured lights. In open water it will look like a stern (or anchor) light and as such should be avoided by other vessels.

It would also avoid any confusion that may occur if using a strobe.

Sean

PacketRat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have been wondering if this may be better than a tricolour for a slow moving vessel (5 knots or less) as it will have a greater visible range for a given power than coloured lights.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sean: I've been wondering about this question for LED tris. Recently I bought a 25 W masthead tricolour, which rates at 3 NM white and 2 NM coloured. But I also bought one of those £35 LED bulbs. I was perplexed as to why they would bother putting red and green LEDs in it when the filters would take care of the red/green colours with just white LEDs.

Now if you shine a white light through a red filter, the other colours are filtered out, which reduces its visibility. But if you shine a red light through a red filter, then pretty much all the light is going to get through.

Incandescent bulbs chuck out their light indiscriminately in all directions, so the wattage can be used to identify their power.

For LEDs, which are directional, you have to refer to the luminosity or candelas. The small amount of information about the bulb moaned about the bulbs of other manufacturers not being powerful enough, and I'm wondering if the manufacturer was trying to make the same point. Perhaps they are indeed as bright as white lights. I don't know, but it's possible. LEDs are getting more powerful and cheaper all the time. It all gets terribly complicated because you also have to take into account that the sensitivity of the human eye is not the same for different colours.

One way or another, I bought a new 25 watt tricolour and the LED for a total of £100. It uses 3.5 watts. So I was happy enough with that and didn't investigate strobes.

I haven't done a JC, but I've signed up for JC10.
Robin

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Way back in the 70's I was working in the Persian Gulf. Local boats had a light bulb mounted on the top of their masts giving an all round white as their only navigation light.

[/ QUOTE ]
All round white is an acceptable configuration for a power boat under 7 metres less than 7 knots.

Visit site
Yes, I had one on Goldie but didn't need to use it. However I am a bit of a 'belt and braces' bloke and like to keep my options open!
Some time ago I was sailing to meet another boat in very poor viz. It was almost impossible to spot my friend although we were both lit up so I tried the strobe for about 15 secs. Instant success so I have always carried one since.
Ref LED's, The same friend built a masthead Led unit for Goldie using the latest high power items. These were coloured LED's in a white anchor lamp. Simple range tests proved to me that it was brighter than the standard tricolour so I was happy to use it on the Jester. I do not know what power it consumed because it wouldn't register on my NASA battery monitor. The standard unit registered a drain of 1.2 amps!

CPD

Visit site
My view is that you should be looking out for others, not making it easy / assuming that others may be looking for you. I realise that there is a hole in this argument, as strobes MAY make it easier for others to see you. HOWEVER, my view is that if you see anything, you keep away from it in the open. There is absolutely no need to refer to colregs, as you really shouldnt get that close for them to come into effect. The best example I can give was of picking up ships on AIS who were potentially on a colission course, then calling on VHF to suggest that they maintained their course, and you move. Keep them informed of what you are doing, and let them know when you are satisfied that the risk has gone. I can remember doing that at least 3 times, and the depth of weather forecasting given in return was invaluable.

Coming back to strobes however, my thoghts are that normal lookout patterns should enable you to pick up anything that needs to be avoided, using normal lighting patterns. Having said all that however, I can understand and fully respect the belt and braces approach, and if you think it would make you safer (and not just feel safer !) then go for it. I didnt hear of anyone using one on JAC08. There was a case of someone mistaking a lightouse for a strobe lit vessel however. It may even have been me.

CPD

Visit site
And as a general point re lights, definately go LED. The reduced power drain made a massive difference.