Steel boat build - Almarine 1200fa

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Perfection takes time...I for one am not looking at this as a boat build or even as a finished product...if a craftsman goes to work each day and produces fine work then that is the story in itself...even if it takes forty years and he doesn’t have a finished product...ie it’s the journey not the destination

I can fully appreciate that and have said as much but as someone that is not averse to a bit of wood butchery and tin bashing I am aware of just how long such a project takes and as such am interested in the man hours involved. Even full time one must be looking at over a year.

Bouba

Visit site
I can fully appreciate that and have said as much but as someone that is not averse to a bit of wood butchery and tin bashing I am aware of just how long such a project takes and as such am interested in the man hours involved. Even full time one must be looking at over a year.
As far as I recall, John works half time and has taken twelve years ....and is almost finished

JOHNPEET

Visit site
One of the things that I mentioned in my initial post was that my main regret with this project is that it has taken me 11 years to complete. There have been a few times where I’ve taken a couple of months out to undertake building works on the house, but the project has never stood for any period with me having lost interest or otherwise.
Up until May 2020, I was working full time in the NHS and typically put about 22 hrs a week into the boat. In May 2020, I took early retirement at 58 (that had always been the plan and was not influenced by the need to complete the boat). Since then, I have worked most days on the boat and probably putting 40 hours a week in. One things for sure - the days, weeks, months and years have just flown by!

There have been times/tasks on the build that I’ve absolutely hated (grit blasting for one!) but overall, I have really enjoyed the build and thrive on the practical and technical challenges. My working life in the NHS has definitely helped - the depth and broad range of engineering that I’ve experienced is not easily come by elsewhere in working life! I’ve been so fortunate from that perspective.

The boat is now very close to completion. Arrangements are now in place to remove the shed roof a week on Saturday and then the boat gets lifted and transported at the end of this month.

Last edited:

Nick Epps

Visit site
I’m not sure that I can cope with all these kind words! I may have to stop posting on this thread ??

To be absolutely honest, I think the one thing that has carried me through this project, is that I have masses of patience! I almost never give up on anything! Ive also found the majority of the various aspects of the project genuinely interesting and enjoyable.
John, I'm very new to this forum and particularly to this thread, I am in awe of the skill involved here, on every level....I thought I was a handy, but you are on a different level somewhere close to God like.....

Bouba

Visit site
One of the things that I mentioned in my initial post was that my main regret with this project is that it has taken me 11 years to complete. There have been a few times where I’ve taken a couple of months out to undertake building works on the house, but the project has never stood for any period with me having lost interest or otherwise.
Up until May 2020, I was working full time in the NHS and typically put about 22 hrs a week into the boat. In May 2020, I took early retirement at 58 (that had always been the plan and was not influenced by the need to complete the boat). Since then, I have worked most days on the boat and probably putting 40 hours a week in. One things for sure - the days, weeks, months and years have just flown by!

There have been times/tasks on the build that I’ve absolutely hated (grit blasting for one!) but overall, I have really enjoyed the build and thrive on the practical and technical challenges. My working life in the NHS has definitely helped - the depth and broad range of engineering that I’ve experienced is not easily come by elsewhere in working life! I’ve been so fortunate from that perspective.

The boat is now very close to completion. Arrangements are now in place to remove the shed roof a week on Saturday and then the boat gets lifted and transported at the end of this month.
I don’t think I could have done as good a job even if I had devoted my entire life to it…chapeau

JOHNPEET

Visit site
John, I'm very new to this forum and particularly to this thread, I am in awe of the skill involved here, on every level....I thought I was a handy, but you are on a different level somewhere close to God like.....

It‘s funny you should say that! My wife keeps making reference to “oh, my god!”, shortly before putting her head in her hands and rolling her eyes! ??‍♂️

Dino

Visit site
Fantastic thread that I’ve just caught up on. Seriously impressive craftsmanship from John.
So what’s the plan for the boat when you get launched? And where will you be based. She would make a great boat for travelling around European waterways and onwards.

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Fantastic thread that I’ve just caught up on. Seriously impressive craftsmanship from John.
So what’s the plan for the boat when you get launched? And where will you be based. She would make a great boat for travelling around European waterways and onwards.

I’ll be based in the Menai Strait and enjoying the North Wales coast initially.

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Deckheads!

One of the things that I’ve tried to do throughout the build, is to try as far as possible to maintain access to equipment and services. There are obvious limitations on this, but the majority of the electrical and mechanical services can be accessed should the need arise. All of the oak cabinetry can be removed if required without it being damaged. When I share the seating modules in the saloon area, you will see that they can all be removed in just a couple of minute, so that anything installed behind can be accessed easily. I have also carried this through to the deckheads. All the beading and panels can be removed to access wiring or anything else that may be needed. The panels are cut from 4mm ply, painted on the backside to seal from moisture and they have foam backed vinyl glued onto the face side. Not to everyone’s liking, but I think it’s in keeping with the rest of the finishes that I’ve used throughout.

801AE2F5-EE3D-443D-A6A6-F4BE5513D7A5.jpegBD41C6BF-7249-4C66-9C40-1367E41C99A3.jpeg9AC9B147-FDF3-48E9-9400-F1CABB820BD9.jpeg967D72C2-29EF-4CAB-B7E1-A13FB408C887.jpeg68CD458B-260F-40AF-B201-1C388E0667C7.jpeg2FE9C63C-677B-4819-9F39-79482D75351F.jpeg942DA551-2072-48E4-BE6B-355ECCC9091F.jpegA6720209-DB4A-4B20-9D45-A3537E16E7C4.jpeg2042DE5A-6E31-4A17-B1F1-FA49C4C7041E.jpeg9F749112-E9E9-4C4A-BBE0-1A3FF9CE46A7.jpeg176B94CE-E5D5-458A-965C-85D7C58AEEE5.jpeg328D8076-91CD-4D42-BFF6-FBBF4C313549.jpeg

Greg2

Visit site
Cracking job!

Very sensible to account for access to things and something that you and any subsequent owners will very much appreciate as the boat gets older.

I have done lots of work on our various boats and getting to stuff is always the major challenge. Our Broom wasn’t too bad as they were quality builders and used mechanical fixings but our Sealine was a little more tricky as they made extensive use of sikaflex / adhesive, although to be fair a panel in the deck head above the aft berth gave good access to wiring etc even if it was a bit of a rats nest! Our current Hardy has been the easiest, which is just as well having spent the last two winters working on it!

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Cracking job!

Very sensible to account for access to things and something that you and any subsequent owners will very much appreciate as the boat gets older.

I have done lots of work on our various boats and getting to stuff is always the major challenge. Our Broom wasn’t too bad as they were quality builders and used mechanical fixings but our Sealine was a little more tricky as they made extensive use of sikaflex / adhesive, although to be fair a panel in the deck head above the aft berth gave good access to wiring etc even if it was a bit of a rats nest! Our current Hardy has been the easiest, which is just as well having spent the last two winters working on it!

Always considered the Hardys to be proper, well made boats! ?

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Swim platform!

So you’ll remember the stainless steel framework fabrication that I did for the swim platform, well it now needed a GRP deck! First job was to make a template for the outline of the deck. I then transferred that onto an MDF base board and formed the peripheral upstand that would define the outline/edge of the platform. Next a fillet of polyester filler and then sealed. Multiple coats of mould release wax polished up and the two thick coats of gel coat. Then five layers of 450g CSM and poly resin and allow to cure. I then cut lengths of 18mm ply to create thickness and reinforcement. They were bedded on more catalysed resin and a further five layers of CSM applied and allowed to cure. Finally, a thick coat of polyester topcoat. Once cured and separated from the base board, find a willing family member to help lift the finished result up onto the framework. The platform was then bolted down to 8 stainless gussets which I had welded to the frame. The bolt heads were counterbored into the platform and the recesses were filled flush with catalysed top coat. All in readiness for the synthetic teak decking.

44F96CE6-1945-41F0-9F32-6239A7A88126.jpegAF90EE91-1A55-4053-8DF9-663C44628E9F.jpeg7FA2812B-AB47-4181-BE85-80E6715F6518.jpeg287D9B42-0098-4189-92A2-0B255B9A2D98.jpeg4CDB9B74-6683-4DFD-8548-1E27F2DB7DBC.jpegDB328014-F179-442C-8A52-216A5702D540.jpegE8BF2CAD-16F2-4CA0-A71D-F7F71BB12413.jpegFFB3979B-DB45-49B2-A0DA-4C83DADF040C.jpeg7BEB7FE5-01D3-4B33-ABC3-83DF555AE910.jpeg85AD164C-A8B6-4C62-BF3C-F6A0D1F17F8E.jpeg1898A52E-75C0-4E4C-9E24-776F26B326CF.jpeg376F607D-049C-4D4D-BECD-71D042016F8B.jpeg

Bouba

Visit site
Damn you !! ... I know this is going to be perfect again even though you haven’t shown us the finished swim platform ??