Starter motor

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I need a new starter motor for my Volvo Penta D2-55. Would you have any reservations to buy a cheap aftermarket type? https://www.parts4engines.com/volvo-penta-d2-55-starter-motor/

Or rather go for an original? The aftermarket is 1/4 the price!!

Reliability is definitely a priority here. I do not wish to increase the risk of not being able to start the engine.

I'd be happy with that particular aftermarket starter, P4E are a reputable company.

No Regrets

Visit site
The original would have to last four times longer to make it the right price.

One can only guess at the possibility of this, but it's tempting :encouragement:

Gwylan

Visit site
Try these people. Did a very good job sorting me a starter motor for a Volvo 2003 - a few years ago.

startermotor-alternator.co.uk

Posse

Visit site
Thank you for all the good input. I have ordered the new starter motor from P4E.

The issue with the old one is that apparently the pinion does not grip into the ring gear quickly enough, causing significant wear of the ring gear on the flywheel.

The starter can probably be refurbished, but given that the cost of a new aftermarket starter is much lower than the cost of a mechanic to take the engine apart (not to mention a new ring gear), I prefer to replace the starter. But will definitely look into refurbishing the starter to keep as spare.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Just a lazy solenoid then. Eminently repairable. As the OP has bought a replacement unit he would be well advised to get the solenoid replaced and keep the old starter as a spare.

Don't even have to go to Volvo for a solonoid! We have a parts distributor in Scotland called Dingbro and they stock a range of solonoid which are less than half the cost of green ones and seem to work just as well. No doubt other distributors stock them!

srp

Visit site
Thank you for all the good input. I have ordered the new starter motor from P4E.

The issue with the old one is that apparently the pinion does not grip into the ring gear quickly enough, causing significant wear of the ring gear on the flywheel.

The starter can probably be refurbished, but given that the cost of a new aftermarket starter is much lower than the cost of a mechanic to take the engine apart (not to mention a new ring gear), I prefer to replace the starter. But will definitely look into refurbishing the starter to keep as spare.
If the problem is the ring gear then a new starter motor is not going to solve it. However, since the starter pinion is so much smaller it is usually that which takes most of the punishment. They are very easy to take apart and refurbish. - look up Rachel Gingell starter motor refurb on YouTube - admittedly hers is off a tractor but they’re all the same.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ00AG9d42c