Standing rigging replacement in Plymouth

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Interesting to read that Allspars are not having a stand at Southampton Boat Show this year, according to an email they sent out.
They are so well known and if anyone wants rigging done in an area where they are they are going to be high on the list for people to get quotes from, it's the same with sailmakers. Why go to the expense when your name gets you the interest.

DownWest

Visit site
That's a bit troubling. I have some similar jobs for 'the rigger of choice' down there, including a new masthead tricolour unit. Hmmm...

This is a good example of a well-known principle in marketing:
A firm can spend years building a good reputation, but one ( or two ) bad experiences can destroy that 'public perception' in a day. A respected business leader - from last century - pointed out that people expect a good service so, if they get that, they may tell 2 or 3 of their friends. If they get bad service, they'll let everyone in their circle know the name of the firm that failed them. These days, via forums and social media, that runs to hundreds who get 'the hard word'. He insisted his staff spend 20 times as much time/money solving a problem/mistake so that the disappointed customer ends up telling their friends how good that firm was.

That's a principle that Lewis, of GS Products understands. He's personally battling with the fourth attempt to have a simple package of 'boaty bits' delivered to me, involving emails, phonecalls, and his own interactions with two different courier companies. He's certainly trying hard....*

*Edit: His perseverance has paid off - at the fourth attempt, this afternoon.
You missed the bit where he said that if the firm makes a mistake, but corrects it quickly, the customer tells more people than if they do it well first time, or badly, as it shows concern and respect for the costomer.

As an inveterate DIY.. I use S3i for making the bits and supplying parts. But, like Jimmy Green, only supply bits.