Spirit of Cardiff

DepSol

Visit site
Re: Yamaha

Not just that but to check everything else out. You would have a field day if the bellows went cos they didnt check them;-) Doing that soret of mileage in crappy weather always best to check, basically a check up and oil change every 8000 miles is good, no? WHere are you at the mo? In the Med?

Dom

I just want my boat back in the water ;-(

tcm

Visit site
Re: Yamaha

ah, gearbox oil change just a phrase for checking things, praps clive not v techie.

No, uk atthe mo, boat in med. Grand tour to corsica, balearix, spain and return starts mid-july

MagellanAlpha

Visit site
Like AJW, I, too, am a Ribbie and I'm new to this forum. So, Hi Folks!

And what got me here was Will Stirling's appeal for a little help to get Alan Priddy and his crew plus RIB back to the UK - having successfully completed one of the most demanding voyages by motor boat - EVER.

Will's appeal is gracious and well-founded. And if you can help us hit the £10K target needed to make sure Priddy doesn't grind to a spluttering halt there'll be a lot of your rubber boat cousins that will be very grateful to you indeed.

A few of us started the appeal for the £10K (which is what Alan himself told us he needed to cover excess costs and lost revenue) about a month ago and initially we made good ground. We have now hit the halfway mark at £5K but we seem to have run out of steam. The original premise was that we only needed a hundred people each to give £100 and we'd be home and dry in no time.

But why bother?

Well.... speaking as a someone who, after two sailing circumnavigations, has finally realised that there's more to life than waiting for the wind to have fun on the water, I am mighty impressed by Alan Priddy. He is a master seaman and I admire his spirit of adventure, his sheer bloody-minded stubbornness and, above all, his unstinting helpfulness. Yes, it's true, he does have a reputation of always being there for ANYONE who needs a helping hand. As an ambassador for the power-boating fraternity I doubt if there is anyone who deserves, in my opinion, more respect.

So, people, please rally to. Send a cheque for what you can afford off to Will. Be part of this great adventure. And wouldn't it be great if a power boat man could follow young Ellen MacArthur as Yachtsman of the Year? That would really make the rag and stick crowd sit up and take note. Yeah!

Mike Garside

tcm

Visit site
Re: Hi mike

Nice post - and Hi!

But, imho, can't easily compare Ellen McA with Priddy. Or well, you can but AP doesn't come out very well. The record was the hook, the target, the raison d'etre. It was off the agenda after the med, and arguably the moment they hit that fish farm.

Agreed it's all good rubbery fun, tho, but almost embarassing for powerboating - and certainly for most serious sponsors, IMHO, since sailboats with one small female and no engine took a shorter time than will a crew of four/three rufty tufty men in a powerboat. Will the record even be recognised since its so slow? Yeah, ok, keep going, never say die and so on but um now he's hoping that everyone'll pitch to sustain his attempt that HE KNEW HE COULD NOT COMPLETE UPON DEPARTURE cos he didn't have the fuel money, or anywhere near. So shld be example of NOT-yachtsman of the year along with that Eric bloke who always
calls the RNLI.

Better option wd've been to set new record for 100 times riound the IOW, much safer, no fishfarms, small crew needed, and easily as mad, mad, mad, mad mad - the main attraction of this project.

Personal niceness of AP noted and not in dispute.

MagellanAlpha

Visit site

TCM, you make a strong point - strongly. And when you put it like that there's many who would agree with you. But I can't accept that you can't compare Ellen and Alan. They are both driven by their own personal dream. They are both brave romantics and strong, individualistic characters. There's not a lot like either of them.

They differ in only one major respect. Ellen, a young, winsome female is a marketing man's dream ticket. Alan is ....well...he isn't any of that. Not a lot going for him on that front.

You can also compare the trials and tribulations of racing an Open 60 round the world and flogging round in a 35 foot diesel powered RIB. Both challenges, whether alone or with a crew, have an equal quantity of total bloody awfulness about them.

I have to admit that I haven't driven a RIB round the world and after my experience of a 12 hour passage in mine, with a force 6 on the nose, driving back to St Mawes from Cardiff, I probably never will. The relentless noise and spine-shattering discomfort is going to take some getting used to.

But I have driven a single-handed Open 50 round the same route as Ellen and I have to say, although it was the most exhausting thing I have ever done, I am sure it could not be as awful as going the whole way in a RIB.

So why not Alan for Yachtsman of the year? Or tell me of just one British mariner who's achievement in 2002 is likely to better than that of Priddy when he get's back in one piece.

Mike Garside

DepSol

Visit site

Alan Clive and Steve for Yachtsmen of the year, three cheers ;-)

Dom

G

You're pro- Spirit of Cardiff for Yachtsmen of the Year....
So can we have a cheque then?
Go on.... think of the SW Echo publicity...

G

Absolutely right Mike, I'm totally behind you.
So can we have a cheque then?

DepSol

Visit site

Will if you do your home work I have already done my bit for SOC crew. Organised their Soltron sponsorship here and Japan bought 20 miles pledged £40 to a fuel stop and bought them a stereo and inverter. Go spirit go.

Dom

MagellanAlpha

Visit site

OK, Will. Cheque on it's way. And no doubt Nadia, who controls the kitty and sends out the "Certificates of Appreciation", will, in due course, send me another to add to the small pile building steadily on my desk.

Now... how about a few more of you joining Dom and helping out a great British underdog - who CAN succeed. Send Will a cheque equivilent to just the price of round of drinks. "Every", as they say, "little helps!"

Cheers.

Mike Garside

KevL

Visit site
So if he runs out of fuel in his rib and is therefore unable to manover what does he hang his black balls on, how many and is there a black triangle involved? :cool:

--
Tides - Never there when you need one.
Wind - Always there when you don't.

KevL

KevL

Visit site
I've got this mental picture of Tuts standing on the flybridge holding a broom with a frying pan tied onto it with a bit of string. Close to the truth?

--

KevL

hlb

RIP
Visit site
No you've missed the point Kev. It's hung up as a warning.
She chucks it at the buggers if they dont get out the way!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

KevL

Visit site
Must be a bit of a bugger when you want to do the bacon and eggs thing next morning. Anyway if you are within frying pan throwing distance I do hope you are not on the plane or you will upset all those nice raggies and they won't give a passing wave to you. ;-)

--

KevL

G

Re. SoC donation scrounge - My apologies for badgering Dom, I did not know of your prior involvement with SoC. Will do better homework next time. Go Spirit go (now in Mehico..!!)
will

tcm

Visit site
Price of a bottle of Balvenie, guv?

They've met up with some other boat in the gulf of mexico and had a nice chat for an hour or so. And they had a nice tour round that town too, whassisname, er well almost all the ones they visited so far. Blimminek, even my donkey voyages don't dawdle this much. Wonder what they're like when they're not axshully out trying to break a record? I bet they all go to sleep eh?