Spirit of Cardiff

G

Alan Priddy's brave if somewhat ambitious Round the World in a RIB record-breaking endeavour, "Spirit of Cardiff", has seen the lot over the last two months. Since leaving Gib on April 7, they've had broken outdrives, abandoning crew, bureaucracy, monstrous seas, close encounters with container ships, sharks and cannibals. OK, I made the last bit up, but they've had a hell of a trip and are now running out of time and money on the Canadian west coast. Since fourth crewman Alan Carter, a crucial PAYING member of the team, baled out in Dubai, the project is seriously under funded to complete the course. Many of the problems they've had were unforeseeable (literally - they hit an unlit fish farm in Malta), so its not a question of under-budgeting at the start.

IPC Marine Media are having a whip round to raise (hopefully) enough for a tank of fuel for one leg - about £500, leg length depending. But they need more. We are appealing to the MBY Chat Forum faithful to dig deep and come up with a few coppers to chuck in the kitty - every bit helps as apparently they really are in danger of running out before they reach Gib and the finishing line. Whatever you think of the sanity/logic/credibility of Spirit of Cardiff's goal (and you'd be forgiven for thinking it's pretty loopy idea...), they're not giving up and coming home early, which is commendable.
If you have any appreciation or admiration for what they are doing, please make a pledge to the 'MBY Give Spirit a Chance' appeal. Together, we can help to get them round - at least to get them to the next port! In return... well, you don't get a lot actually - we can print a 'thanks to all who...' in the mag and perhaps Alan will do a credit in the South Wales Echo on his return. Hmmm.

Please make out cheques, however modest, to "Offshore Expeditions" and post to Will Stirling at Motor Boat & yachting, IPC Media, Kings Reach Tower, Stamford Street, London SE1 9LS.
For larger contributions or corporate sponsorship, contact Nadia Lehmann on 0780 279 5583. Many thanks

DepSol

Visit site
Hey I have been doing my bit, bought em a stereo which got me into the South Wales Echo, so I am now er famous in Wales....I think ;-) Got the cuttting to prove it.

Which leg are you thinking of doing?. I wll go a few quid more.

Dom

I just want my boat back in the water ;-(

jfm

Visit site
Re: Hang on a minute Will....

Will, can you give some idea of what is needed so people do not donate "blind". I mean, if they need £150k then it's a waste of money donating £50 because it will get them a bit further but they'll still fail. Equally if they only need £500 then potential donors ought to be told what will happen to any donations in excess of that.

Also, we should be told if success is at all possible. I've lost count, but how many days are left to beat the Cable Wireless record? And how fast do you have to go to cover that distance when you're currently t'other side of Canada? If the answer's 30 knots, there is no point in making a donation. If it's 10 knots, there probly is

Not being funny, but Priddy is not a charity and so I will not donate if I'm not given the whole story. Not the detail, just 4 or 5 sentences of the big picture. They have a support team running the project in the UK, so presumably the info is available?

All imho and :)

longjohnsilver

Visit site

JFM have just taken another look at their web site. The aim was to get round in 75 days, they set off from Gib on April 7th so according to my sums that now makes it 67 days with still 000s of miles to go, so record almost impossible, except praps fastest circumcision Cardiff to Cardiff!

Am I missing something (maybe a Mangusta 105!) or is the record now impossible, now just a sort of rescue mission.

Also seem to remeber a few days ago their site announced that they'd found a major sponsor who wanted to remain anonymous. Maybe depsol can answer more of these questions.

Like you, don't see much point in sending money for an already doomed project.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by longjohnsilver on Thu Jun 13 19:56:09 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

hlb

RIP
Visit site

Also, cant get to inspired by Cardiff. It's about as good as Cosignia as a marketing tool. Nah send the money to me and I'll bob round to Exmouth. Much cheaper.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Portugal

Maybe you could plan the fastest ever trip to Lagos!! Presume you've given up on that plan, Exmouth much easier.

BTW saw a notice yesterday inviting all boats to go up the ship canal and spend the night in Exeter, all free of charge! Only problem is that you have to be there next Wednesday!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Portugal

Gave up plan for Lagos. After it pissed down all week. And took about 10 hours to get there and ten back. I hate public transport.

I'm sure I could get to Exeter by next Wednesday John. But it's not much of a chalenge. Less course there sponcering me with some new engines or summat.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

jfm

Visit site
Re: Mission Impossible even in Mang 108....

So it's 8 days left to break the record, and they're currently somewhere near Vancouver heading for Panama Canal? Will S, if LJS has the facts wrong please advise, but I hope you see my point......

DepSol

Visit site
Its only a bit of fun a few quid to people trying to do something different. I dont mind but then I havbe a different motive but i dont mind if people wont give its all your hard earned so why give it away?

Dom

tcm

Visit site
Tosspot appeal BUT...

offshorte expeditions isn't a charity as jfm says. So this cd be seen as someone launching an "appeal" on account of not having enough loot to return from salcombe. Or not having enough money to pay thier mortgage.

They can't blame the lack of funds on a lack of Alan Carter, cos he's only a quarter isn't he? And they shld've had enuf loot to do it anyway so that when that doctor chap left he left his loot in the project too. And they had two years, and they only needed about 2litres a mile @ 30pee = 50,000x30p = 15poxy grand which ok isn't nothing but fer chrisakes I mean goodnes me drone blah complain criticize Garmin 175 obvious fish farm spares mobile phone badly planned not how I wd have done it underfunded etc etc.

NONETHELESS if I saw spirit of cardiff in a bay and they had ooerrun out of petrol cos no money I would tow them in regardless. So I'll sendem £25 quid today on account of er giving me a good laugh/food for thought and cos they're in the virtual shit with no juice needing an e-tow in.

I reserve the right to continue supercilious armchair whingeing, at least for the duration of £25 quids worth of juice, of which I am less than halfway thru.

DepSol

Visit site
Re: Tosspot appeal BUT...

Well done Matt but for your comments so far and for the remainder of the journey I think £25 is VFM, but at least you've made a contribution. H forget my last comment, read it again myself and it confused me!

Dom

tcm

Visit site
Re: VFM

I am guessing what this means, (very f mean/miserly?). Or mebbe very f marvellous?

Remeber you have commercial reasons for sponsorship. But this now quite different, a cry for help. Best thing now is to make for shore and get on a plane.

The concept of generosity is normally reserved for "deserving" cases rather than for glory seekers who set off in underfunded no-hope homebuild without spares who increae their speeds in harbours (and hit things) and then tootle along the high seas at far lower speeds than they claimed that they would when they wanted to lure potential sponsors to a "record challenge" that was doomed within a few days of start. As a sponsor, you could (of course, you won't) feel a bit done over that the project became so embarassing so quickly (thru their own fault) and became doomed to failure almost as soon as it started (also their own fault- I still say that many others must have used Valetta without wamming into the fish farm).

I have on numerous occasions given bods a tow in after arm waving etc and same with car as I have towrope. BUT on no occassion (yet) has the towee said "oi, NO, not that harbour - we're enroute to Gibraltar and are almost 1/4 the way there, so kindly make appropriate course come on come on you cheap git!"

all in good humour, etc etc and if they all give 25 quid then etc etc

jfm

Visit site

Still no word from Priddy camp/Will S about parameters of this fund raising. Anyway, inspired by TCM's donation praps best to bury hatchet and make a donation too, so I will.

Also, I have loads of airmiles - would they like 150000 BA miles, enuf to get the three of them home? Offer is made seriously, what I really mean is can the Priddy team in Uk jump onto this forum and say what they really need help-wise? What would really help, is it just cash or are there other things too? Comeone Priddy-support-crew, tell us!

DepSol

Visit site

I am only kidding you know that, just good to see that you are willing to put in JFM too. I am sure Alan et al will be grateful.

Dom

tcm

Visit site
Re: Major sponsor

Think the "major sponsor" was £500 quid - cost of one fill-up? The pics on their website show flat calm and they're doing...18knots. Which is my tightarse speed whilst playing cards or watching the tele and no particluar rush to get anywhere, harumph.

Obviously, Dom should have been in charge of raising the money, praps starting with ringing up all the existing sponsors and tellem they are VFM. Wonder what he said to the volvo chap? - "You're blimmin late! Late! I've been here 20 mins etc etc..."

still in good humour, tho :)

AJW

Visit site

Not a member of the Spirit of Cardiff support crew but rubberyboat enthusiast and was there (wiv lots of other people) to wave 'em off in Cardiff. After their problems in the Far East a fund raising drive was started on the rib.net forum with the objective of raising £10k which would get 'em home. So far the rubbery community has raised £5k or so which 'aint bad IMHO. The £10k might get 'em home but Alan P and I'm guessing Steve & Clive as well have got considerable financial problems when they get home. Thats their business/problems but is at least and indicates a degree of commtiment to achieving something pretty special rather than having an extended jolly around the world.

The SoC attempt is yer classic British amateaur against all odds in a home made boat and with no money. They did try for the heavyweight corporate sponsorship but with a combination of a poor climate post 11/9/01 and frankly a boat and crew thats just isn't sexy enough. (c.f Cable and Wireless.) they struggled. All credit to them for bliimin well trying though.

Clear C&W's record is not possible anymore. They will get the record for fastest circumnavigation under 35ft which is a helluva achievement in itself. Their spirit and conviction has driven a fair number of people to put hand in pocket to help out. So like TCM, criticise away but contribute as well. Moral high ground and all that!

AJW

hlb

RIP
Visit site

Hmm. It's getting much more interesting now. They seem a particularly barmy lot. I'd leave them out there where they cant do any more harm. Well not to us lot anyway!

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

DepSol

Visit site
Re: Major sponsor

Spirit runs Yamaha engine, seems to be a good one as it has taken a couple of knocks and only had one gearbox problem due to the knocks it took. So dont know the engine hours but more than most do in 5 years I presume and its still going strong. Lets hope some of the boat manufacturers start talking to Yamaha.

Dom