Speed Seal

pawl

Visit site
hi, I might be wrong but I didn't think that Speed Seal supplied the impellers, just the cover and seal. You should be able to get hold of an impeller fairly easily.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
As I was desperate for spares for my speedseal life, my engineer pal ran up a batch of PTFE disks and metal ones from a supplier who described the material as "bronze specified for naval applications". It is not the same material as the originals. I am a rotarian and my plan is to sell the excess (quite a few due to minimum materials order), defray materials cost and then give any surplus to charity. These are to fit the pump on a D2-40 and come absolutely with no guarantee of any sort at £10 for one of each plus post at cost. If this is of any value please let me know.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
They didn't make one to fit my Volvo MD1 so I got my mate to make one. He machined a groove in some brass plate, cut the slots and I bought thumb screws and O- rings off internet.

earlybird

Visit site
Over 20 years or so I made "speedseals" for 3 engines that I owned, a Yanmar and 2 Betas. I used bog standard 1/8" brass sheet from a model engineering suppliers, probably CZ108. Never had the slightest problem with corrosion.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Is it DZR brass? If not, I'd keep a close eye on it. If you don't know it's turned to copper, as brass is wont to do around sea water, it could get expensive.
I no longer have that boat but there was no evidence of dezincification when I last checked it. I doubt if the original cover plate was DZR.

mikegunn

Visit site
In my experience I have become sceptical of any advantage that the Speedseal may offer over the OEM configuration. I found that the rotating discs wore eccentrically, permitting an internal leakage path around the impeller and reducing the pump’s efficiency. Even with the Speedseal kits fitted I suffered a couple of impeller vane failures. The only good thing about the kit was the provision of knurled thumbscrews to replace the slotted head screws. Eventually I removed the Speedseals and fitted 3mm thick transparent plastic covers. Surprisingly they only suffered very light scoring in use but with the aid of a torch I was able to check on the integrity of the impeller vanes very quickly. I should add that it was not my original idea, but one that I borrowed from a good friend.

TernVI

Visit site
There seemed to be a period in the mid 90s, when I first owned my own yacht, people were always going on about impeller failure.
I think Speedseal was born out of that.
I think impellers are more reliable these days and the need has largely gone away.

earlybird

Visit site
I saw the basic benefit of a Speedseal as a means of replacing the flimsy, fiddley paper gasket by a much more easily handled o-ring. The kurled thumbscrews were an additional benefit.
I think many oe pumps now use o-rings anyway, so reducing the attraction of the aftermarket item.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I had mine made to allow easy access to the pump innards - it was very awkward to get at originally. The problem was certainly eased with speedseal look alike and the O ring much better than a paper gasket.

Ainsley

Visit site
As I was desperate for spares for my speedseal life, my engineer pal ran up a batch of PTFE disks and metal ones from a supplier who described the material as "bronze specified for naval applications". It is not the same material as the originals. I am a rotarian and my plan is to sell the excess (quite a few due to minimum materials order), defray materials cost and then give any surplus to charity. These are to fit the pump on a D2-40 and come absolutely with no guarantee of any sort at £10 for one of each plus post at cost. If this is of any value please let me know.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Is it DZR brass? If not, I'd keep a close eye on it. If you don't know it's turned to copper, as brass is wont to do around sea water, it could get expensive.
My one wore & prevented the pump working properly. I made one in brass 5 years ago & have not found any problem whatsoever. I feel that people can over think these things sometimes. I expect that wear on the face will happen long before dezincification.
just out of interest - if dezincification did happen- what would actually happen then?

VicS

Visit site
My one wore & prevented the pump working properly. I made one in brass 5 years ago & have not found any problem whatsoever. I feel that people can over think these things sometimes. I expect that wear on the face will happen long before dezincification.
just out of interest - if dezincification did happen- what would actually happen then?
Rather soft copper with little mechanical strength will b e left which will wear away more quickly than the original brass would. You might not notice the dezincification as such

Daydream believer

Visit site
Rather soft copper with little mechanical strength will b e left which will wear away more quickly than the original brass would. You might not notice the dezincification as such
. It is not going to be true "copper" so will be rigid . So 8 years with a bit of luck & you may have to make another. Not exactly a big deal is it. The first one only lasted 10 years as well :unsure: I think Volspec wanted £ 14-00 when i asked. Enough brass for 2 cost £4-50 Cut a disc with a hole saw, left it circular & drilled the holes for the screws in it. never bother with the paper gasket, always drips; use gasket compound. It is reversible so if it does wear I can just turn it over. (cannot do that with a volvo one as it has part Nos engraved in it which will damage the impeller) Job done.
Like I said, on can over think these things.

Last edited: