Some rusty anchor chain links

nictbrown

Visit site
I have a good length chain for the anchor but some links to the end are rusty. Not so that they are obviously weakened. Could I please have advice on how to treat these please. Regards Nic

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Unfortunately there is only one effective answer,

Saw them off.

If you dont the rust on them will accelerate the failure of the galvanizing on the bit it lies on in the locker.

Any treatment put on a chain wears off in a few days at anchor

David ps Take a look at my site www.yachtman.co.uk

bedouin

Visit site
I've had the same problem. The options are either

(i) Cut the rusty pieces off

or

(ii) Have the whole lot re-galvanised (cost about £100).

I chose the former as it was only the last few feet - and the chain is still plenty long enough without them.

James

Visit site
Hello, What if the rusty links are in the middle of the chain? Can you jenolite them (rust treatment) and then paint them?

G

A simple and effective solution would be to wire-brush the rusty links and paint with aluminium paint (Halfords) - my anchor and rusting links were treated like this three years ago and today show no signs of rust coming through. In my case however, the anchor only gets used half a dozen times in the season.
Tom

david_bagshaw

Visit site
If you use the chain, unfortunately paint always comes off.

We use to mark the chain with various coloured paint to know how much we had let out, it always came off after half the season...... now use coloured cable ties instead, which last & last.

Re Galving chain is particularly difficult for the firm to get the dirt & corrosion out of the top of the links.

David ps Take a look at my site www.yachtman.co.uk

nictbrown

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. The links in question are near the end and I rarely (have never yet in fact) used the whole length of chain. So my thoughts are to paint, see how it goes and if this is not successful then I will chop off the length with the bad links. Regards Nic