Some pictures,life boat conversion and Oare creek

Mark-1

Visit site
I wonder what the origin of the name Oare is.

Near me we have "Owers", "Ower" near Southampton, plenty of places called "Oare". I know an "Oar Rythe". They must all fundamentally be referring to the same thing. ChatGPT didn't know and I'm reluctant to spoil the opportunity for a YBW digression by googling.

wombat88

Visit site
I used to sail on an ex RNLI boat converted to a magnificent double diagonal ketch. She had been the Exmouth boat in 1903. A pulling and sailing boat.

Using an old AA book of the road we sailed from Marchwood to Studland Bay where the centreboard fell out. One of our crew had brought his diving gear and was able to retrieve it.

I could make this tale run for pages and pages but it is best kept to the bare bones.

Poignard

Visit site
I used to sail on an ex RNLI boat converted to a magnificent double diagonal ketch. She had been the Exmouth boat in 1903. A pulling and sailing boat.

Using an old AA book of the road we sailed from Marchwood to Studland Bay where the centreboard fell out. One of our crew had brought his diving gear and was able to retrieve it.

I could make this tale run for pages and pages but it is best kept to the bare bones.
Please carry on with your story.

I'd rather read about that than about cars and cookery.

Boathook

Visit site
I wonder what the origin of the name Oare is.

Near me we have "Owers", "Ower" near Southampton, plenty of places called "Oare". I know an "Oar Rythe". They must all fundamentally be referring to the same thing. ChatGPT didn't know and I'm reluctant to spoil the opportunity for a YBW digression by googling.
Possibly means a muddy 'ditch' where many oares were lost, stuck in the mud. We didn't loose any that I remember, more than likely through good luck rather than boating skills !

Mark-1

Visit site
To illustrate my previous, herewith the vessel concerned.

Now, I'm curious. Where's that taken? I wondered if it was looking up Southampton Water but the buildings on the left look wrong. And how was it taken? Cruising in company? Dinghy? Lovely photo, just what I need on a grotty mid winter day, thanks for sharing.

wombat88

Visit site
Late '70s but my memory is a bit ropey. Somewhere of Cowes (Egypt Point??) looking north, I think those are the Fawley storage tanks on the left. Cruising in company with a Stella, about to drift up to the Follies for drinks.