What engine have I got

Refueler

Visit site
Perkins may have been a cheap but agricultural 'replacement' but LR / Rover produced the early engines, see for example Land Rover engines - Wikipedia.
In the article other suppliers of originally fitted engines are given due credit..

Think you also need to delve deeper ......

No doubt you'll question Volvo's use of Audi engines .. then the take-over of the design and Volvo building own version in house - the 5 cylinder series. Volvo consistently denied it - but evidence showed them to be 'brand covering' ...

The use of Peugeot engines with collaboration with Renault / Volvo to produce the PRV engines branded Volvo for the 7 and 9 series cars ..

Just examples out of so many ...

The automotive world has for decades after decades had a murky swap over of engines ... and Wikipedia is not proof of anything ... sorry.

geem

Visit site
Geem .... go deeper into rebadging ..... Perkins was supplier of no-label engines to many ... usually in kit-box form .....

Even the humble black cab was supplied rebadged Perkins ... which was basically the 4-99 / 4.107 for ages ...

TBH - doesn't bother me one iota whether you accept my version or not ... grew up with them ... along with many other engines / tractors etc.
Perkins never supplied engines to LR. Go back to the beginning of LR. They were all petrol engine from Rover cars. The diesels were their own development. No Perkins ever fitted by the factory.
I wasn't certain if Wikipedia was correct so asked my LR fanatic friends who owns one of the oldest series 1s. He confirmed never a Perkins

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Think you also need to delve deeper ......

No doubt you'll question Volvo's use of Audi engines .. then the take-over of the design and Volvo building own version in house - the 5 cylinder series. Volvo consistently denied it - but evidence showed them to be 'brand covering' ...

The use of Peugeot engines with collaboration with Renault / Volvo to produce the PRV engines branded Volvo for the 7 and 9 series cars ..

Just examples out of so many ...

The automotive world has for decades after decades had a murky swap over of engines ... and Wikipedia is not proof of anything ... sorry.
I wouldn't disagree with any of the examples that you give above, but your Land Rover statements re Perkins lack any factual basis, lets see some evidence.... my last post on the subject until you do

Last edited:

jamie N

Visit site
If it's about LR's, shouldn't John Morris 'mod'ify opinions here, being as he's a regular on a LR forum, which will be able to say the number of teeth on the ring gear of each model!

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
If it's about LR's, shouldn't John Morris 'mod'ify opinions here, being as he's a regular on a LR forum, which will be able to say the number of teeth on the ring gear of each model!
I’ve owned/driven any number of Landrovers from Series to Defender TD5 but I’m staying well out of this one. For those who want to try their luck, they can ask the question on Landyzone, but be warned, they don’t take prisoners if you make foolish statements.

(But I’m actively looking for a TD5 90 MOT failure to rebuild on a new chassis.)