How many days will be sail-able around the Clyde?

PaulGS

Visit site
I bought my 27' boat during the Scottish heatwave of June last year. Only now, as I twiddle my thumbs (waiting for temperatures to become tolerable and for winds stabilise in the teens) have I wondered just how many fair sailing days I can hope for in an average season? I'm fortunate, though I live hundreds of miles from the boat I'm free to spend extended periods when the weather suits.

dunedin

Visit site
Probably more days than most other places in the UK, as there is so much shelter in the upper sea lochs and amongst the islands. There is almost always somewhere nice to visit.
We regularly sail in winter months (3 or 4 times in January this year alone), often going for a day sail round a couple of islands.
Good base layer clothing and a decent cabin heater are worthwhile. Only needed oilskins once this year.
PS. The exception is boats berthed in Ardrossan, Troon etc, as can be a wild trip up to more sheltered parts.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Probably more days than most other places in the UK, as there is so much shelter in the upper sea lochs and amongst the islands. There is almost always somewhere nice to visit.
We regularly sail in winter months (3 or 4 times in January this year alone), often going for a day sail round a couple of islands.
Good base layer clothing and a decent cabin heater are worthwhile. Only needed oilskins once this year.
PS. The exception is boats berthed in Ardrossan, Troon etc, as can be a wild trip up to more sheltered parts.
Agree with the Ardrossan/Troon comments, we’re berthed in Troon now, really like the place, but once you’re out of the marina there’s no soft introduction to being at sea, it’s likely a lee shore and it’s important to get away from the coast quickly if there’s any onshore wind.

ylop

Visit site
It depends how fair weather sailor you are!
If you say rain doesn’t matter, and it’s only really silly strong winds that will stop you then between now and October you should be able to go out probably 150 days. If you don’t like big swell or big winds that will be reduced a bit but from 1 may to 30 sept last year I don’t recall a single day we were planning to go on the boat and called off for the wind/waves. Actually visibility was more of a concern a couple of times - when the rain is bad enough you put the nav lights on at midday. Of course where on the clyde you keep it and your ability to read a forecast and plan your trips accordingly will be important.

The sailing school boats operating from Largs/Kip/Rhu will probably be booked solid from now until Oct holidays - but their crew might be more motivated than you to head our in bad weather.

As Dunedin say if you buy the right clothes you can sail all year round in the Clyde and there are some lovely days in the off season - but easier if you can plan ahead for them or be flexible on the day of the week.

srm

Visit site
I did my YM Instructor course on the Clyde many years ago - a week in November. Engine did not work so we sailed all week, including an overnight run down to Campbeltown in gale conditions. Returned at five year intervals for a long weekend's sailing to revalidate the qualification, each time at the tail of the year and outside the normal Scottish sailing season.
On the basis of that limited experience you should be able to sail on the Clyde for much of the year.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I did my YM Instructor course on the Clyde many years ago - a week in November. Engine did not work so we sailed all week, including an overnight run down to Campbeltown in gale conditions. Returned at five year intervals for a long weekend's sailing to revalidate the qualification, each time at the tail of the year and outside the normal Scottish sailing season.
On the basis of that limited experience you should be able to sail on the Clyde for much of the year.
As ever, it depends which way the wind blows. From the west/east - go sailing. From the South - stay in the pub.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I bought my 27' boat during the Scottish heatwave of June last year. Only now, as I twiddle my thumbs (waiting for temperatures to become tolerable and for winds stabilise in the teens) have I wondered just how many fair sailing days I can hope for in an average season? I'm fortunate, though I live hundreds of miles from the boat I'm free to spend extended periods when the weather suits.
Just think how disappointed you would be if you were an economic migrant living in the South West of England and spent the 2023 season with either crew hugging buckets inspecting their last two meals or hunkered down in Falmouth due to Storm Antoni.

pessimist

Visit site
Interested to know where you moor to get year round sailing.

srm

Visit site
Reminds me off beating up to Bergen using the inshore passage between the islands in a F8. Well reefed down with lots of wind and only small waves. Sun was shining and everyone on deck enjoying the sail.

Skylark

Visit site
It depends entirely upon one’s definition of “sailing”. I moved to The Clyde after 20+years in north Wales and I now have a later start to the season and an earlier finish.

I did my YM Instructor course on the Clyde many years ago - a week in November.
I did YMI in the Clyde in a February. The pontoons were icy. On one day, a passing squal gave an indicated 50kts on the anemometer. It was bitterly cold and I caught man-flu as a result 😩

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
My brother has had a boat in Largs for a few years, haven't heard him complain yet about the weather cancelling his sailing plans.

You just need a big spray hood, good foul weather gear, and good heating ... and a strong stomach to cope with the crew barfing all over the place, but they quickly learn not to puke to windward. (y) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: srm

srm

Visit site
You just need a big spray hood, good foul weather gear, and good heating
All things that were "must haves" but have become redundant with a move to less extreme climes. Exchanged the foul weather gear for a bimini, but the damage had already been done during a few decades sailing in Scottish and west coast Norwegian waters. Shortly after sailing south I had a largish area of skin cancer removed from my forehead.