Solent to Newhaven in one?

Visit site
Leaving from either southampton or Osborne, what are the rough timings and pitfalls of trying to do this trip in one. Never been further "turning left" than Portsmouth Harbour so any advice gratefully received.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I can't remember the details, but in general just make sure you have as much tide (and weather) in your favour.

Eminently doable. I did Lymington (IIRC) to Brighton in one hop (stage 1 of several on the way to Suffolk), in the depths of winter (Jan/Feb, ice on decks!), in a 23 footer, single handed. I think I did consider planning a stop-off somewhere in eastern Solent, but decided in the end to make the most of a weather window and go for it in one hit.

masterofnone

Visit site
Regular do Cowes or Gosport to Newhaven, normally thru Looe channel but if blowing round the outside. Normally now space here on visitors pontoon. Depending on boat speed you could make eastbourne; but then you've got to lock in.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Looe Channel shortens it a bit, but it's not a nice spot. I always feel a bit spooked there though no bad experiences. I'd avoid it if winds are fresh.
I'm not sure of the timings but if you get it right you can get about 8 or 9 hours of fair tide going east, just look at the tide atlas, or I will tomorrow.

Habebty

Visit site
As above, tide timing is all important. Looe Channel good route in <f4-5 if wind with tide. Outside round Owers can be just as bad in certain conditions. Have regularly done Gosport to Eastbourne in one hit on way to Suffolk too. Check availability of visitor berths at Newhaven as I read somewhere on here that wind farm boats take up a lot of space there now.

RupertW

Visit site
Wind farm boats only take up outer pontoons which restrict visitors in high Summer and I didn't see them at all when I was there last week.

Obviously it might be a night entrance if the tides dictate that but I based my 24 footer there for the last 8 years and it's usually a good run from the Solent through the Looe although it's sometimes been less than pleasant the other way and I've often stopped off at Brighton and Littlehampton because I like them.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
All depends on you and the boat! Annually I sail from Chichester to Shoreham. I sail in day light and once into early November there is only just enough (if you want a bit of spare just in case). My boat is a 29ft Konsort so I average just under 5 knots and it takes about 8 hours. And I take favourable tide for the majority of the time. If I had to push a significantly longer distance I would be fighting the tide so much more. Recommend the Looe channel unless the weather is bad,in which case I would not be doing it. It is a tidal "gate" and an interesting place.....
For that distance I would overnight in Littlehampton or Shoreham, although I have yet to go into Littlehampton and want to. Sussex Yacht club you can dry out on the pontoon, though phone a weekday morning to check. Or the Marina at Southwick through the lock which is fun.
Alternatively if you can cruise at 6 knots ignore all l say!

Seajet

Visit site
As for timings around Selsey, ask Moby 2 as he's been offshore there rather a lot; I'll try to get him to have a chat - I've deliberately never been a foot east of Chichester, for a reason; unless you're bound past the Thames across the North Sea, have you been to Newhaven - in Sergeant Wilsons' words ' I say, are you sure that's terribly wise ' ?

All the attraction of a tramps' armpit, still away you go - nb check what berthing is available re wind farm sods.

Why not try Chichester harbour, for crying out loud ? Mail or PM me and I'll tell the good bits and where to avoid.

Last edited:
Visit site
thanks for the advice guys, it has set my mind at rest, and given me things to research. AND an excuse to purchase more charts!
The boat is a Trident 24. We are fairly competent nowadays, but it is unfamiliar coast to us, so will be interesting.
Reason for the trip, we have sold the Trident, so it's going to it's new home. It has been a fantastic boat to learn on, and we are sad to see it go, but we cannot justify having several boats. For the short term we will be concentrating on our 30ft wooden classicyacht. Teak decks to scrub, and portholes to polish (at least there will be when I can source some at a reasonable price)

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
[Edit: Crossed posts - Shouldn't have stopped typing for breakfast.]

The main tidal gate is the Looe, with something like 5kt streams in the worst places. I have anchored there a few times when I failed to make the gate in time and you could play tunes on the rode. You want to aim to be at the Looe for ~3hr before HW dover to get the greatest SOG you are likely to see hereabouts. Earlier for fair tide for longer. No more tidal gates en route.

Personally, if the sea is a bit rough from the SW I will go through the Looe Channel as the Owers takes some energy out of the waves. If it is northerly then definitely go inshore.

- Littlehampton ebbing river current is very fast - On the wrong day you will not stem it with 5kt.
- Shoreham has a good entrance at all states of tide and you can anchor in the outer basin if in need of a rest. Little rough bit for about a cable SW of the entrance due to pebble build up. Big shiny power station chimney if all electrics die and you have to revert to the stone age.
- Don't hit Rampion wind farm.
- Brighton Marina has a dreadful entrance in any swell.
- Newhaven's offing has particularly unpleasant waves in poor weather.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Good advice there from a local :).
I've just been playing with my Marine Navigator app and from Osborne bay to Newhaven via the Looe is 52nm,so I would reckon on 13 hours in your boat (conservative but prudent). Not sure we have 13 hours daylight now although that may not be an issue for you. Keep the wind farm rhetoric in perspective, if you can hit the Looe channel you should be able to miss the wind farm! More possible the construction boats could nab your berth.....
I have only been into Newhaven on a ferry but the impression I have from reading here is it is an all weather entrance unlike Brighton, but unless you are a serious masochist why would you be out in bad weather?

laika

Visit site
However long you think it will take, it will probably take longer. Plan for that. The proportion of our trips from the solent to brighton which have been into easterlies defies the laws of probability. Moreover if it's not an easterly the wind invariably makes the line from the Looe channel to Brighton a dead run. I suspect though that this curse may be specific to me.

Acknowledged that the smallest boat I tend to make this trip in is my friend's centurion and more commonly my own heavy 40-footer but I suggest people are over-stating the perils of the Looe channel. You' should have tide with you. Unless you've left it late you won't be going east through there with the tide at full clip. And if it's blowing a gale from the east you probably don't want to go anyway. Our last trip 3 weeks ago we hit it not too long after the start of the flood against an F4 easterly. Bit bumpy but unremarkable. Going "round the outside" lengthens the trip considerably.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
As for timings around Selsey, ask Moby 2 as he's been offshore there rather a lot; I'll try to get him to have a chat - I've deliberately never been a foot east of Chichester, for a reason; unless you're bound past the Thames across the North Sea, have you been to Newhaven - in Sergeant Wilsons' words ' I say, are you sure that's terribly wise ' ?

All the attraction of a tramps' armpit, still away you go - nb check what berthing is available re wind farm sods.

Why not try Chichester harbour, for crying out loud ? Mail or PM me and I'll tell the good bits and where to avoid.

I have used Newhaven as a stop off on passage up of down the channel but it wouldn't be my first choice as an outright destination

RupertW

Visit site
I have used Newhaven as a stop off on passage up of down the channel but it wouldn't be my first choice as an outright destination

That’s partly why I’ve kept boats there so much over the decades - I want my base to be somewhere I’m happy to sail away from not sail to for a night out.

Seajet

Visit site
That's one way of looking at it I suppose.

I'd be tempted to set off ' 2nd star to the right and straight on 'till morning ' - a return trip to Newhaven must be soul destroying, I find it bad enough returning to beautiful Chichester knowing the trip is ending.

Visit site
That's one way of looking at it I suppose.

I'd be tempted to set off ' 2nd star to the right and straight on 'till morning ' - a return trip to Newhaven must be soul destroying, I find it bad enough returning to beautiful Chichester knowing the trip is ending.

yea, thats the plan, night or very early start, and just keep going. One way trip, but it would be good to get home on train in good time

dancrane

Visit site
Reason for the trip, we have sold the Trident, so it's going to it's new home.

I'm fascinated to know how much extra your buyer paid, to have the yacht delivered. Not a bad idea...

...lots of owners are probably better able to make a long passage in the boat they know and are selling, than an unaccustomed buyer.