Solent Coastguard failing to deal with MAYDAY on Sat 13th September 2014

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The man was a pompous buffoon with - from what I could gather - very limited practical experience who declared to be gospel all sorts of bollox. In my experience, what is taught by the RYA and how things are done in the real world is not necessarily the same thing.

The RYA was teaching that Maydays applied to a person in grave and imminent danger many years before it became official ... to the despair of the Marconi man who did my VHF exam.

Playtime

Visit site
The MOC wouldn't have got R104 to do anything else. The course of action is set by the helo crew, even down to which hospital they want. Again, something not liked by the power hungry at the MCA (although it's an MCA asset, R104 works "under" ARCC. God help us all when ARCC transfers from RAF to MCA)

R104 was not tasked immediately. The first action was to dispatch Hamble Lifeboat to accompany the casualty to Hamble Point marina, to which the casualty skipper was already steaming with all speed, where an ambulance was requested to meet them. R104 was subsequently tasked to rendezvous with the casualty and fly them straight to Southampton General. This was undoubtedly the better option.

I read it that the condition bx had come from the CG / asset side. If it was from the casualty skipper, fair enough.

Your interpretation was correct - the condition bx was from Rescue 104 reporting the CG. It should have been on Channel 0.

nicho

Visit site
121.5 is also an emergency voice frequency used in aviation. It is an "emergency broadcast channel".

Known also as D & D (Distress and Diversion), handled by ATC at Swanwick. They can also pinpoint any pilot who is lost and with no transponder, by triangulation and give them bearings and distances etc to their required destination (never used them yet, honest!). In emergency situations, it is best to transmit any aviation Mayday to the station you are already talking to - saves a lot of fiddling with frequencies when you may not have much time.

I have to say, on the face of it, the CG response left a lot to be desired on this occasion - sorry to hear the lady didn't make it.

Visit site
Known also as D & D (Distress and Diversion), handled by ATC at Swanwick. They can also pinpoint any pilot who is lost and with no transponder, by triangulation and give them bearings and distances etc to their required destination (never used them yet, honest!).
My boss had to call on that service as a newly qualified PP with family onboard for a joy ride. He expected a serious talking to when back on the ground but he was complimented for calling on their assistance as soon as he lost his bearings, they said their worst type of call is a panicked PP pilot who admits navigation defeat with minutes of fuel left.

MrB

Visit site
Known also as D & D (Distress and Diversion), handled by ATC at Swanwick. They can also pinpoint any pilot who is lost and with no transponder, by triangulation and give them bearings and distances etc to their required destination (never used them yet, honest!). In emergency situations, it is best to transmit any aviation Mayday to the station you are already talking to - saves a lot of fiddling with frequencies when you may not have much time.

I have to say, on the face of it, the CG response left a lot to be desired on this occasion - sorry to hear the lady didn't make it.

Don't you mean Shanwick OC (atc)? Most ATC's monitor 121.5 as does the RAF.:)

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
R104 was not tasked immediately. The first action was to dispatch Hamble Lifeboat to accompany the casualty to Hamble Point marina, to which the casualty skipper was already steaming with all speed, where an ambulance was requested to meet them. R104 was subsequently tasked to rendezvous with the casualty and fly them straight to Southampton General. This was undoubtedly the better option.

I must have been listening to a totally different conversation then, because I clearly heard the chopper pilot say the casualty was staying on board the yacht and proceeding up to Empress Dock. It seemed odd at the time, because of the additional delay but then I thought that as treatment was being administered on board, the patient would be better there rather than go through the trauma of being winched up into a helicopter.

davel

Visit site
I must have been listening to a totally different conversation then, because I clearly heard the chopper pilot say the casualty was staying on board the yacht and proceeding up to Empress Dock. It seemed odd at the time, because of the additional delay but then I thought that as treatment was being administered on board, the patient would be better there rather than go through the trauma of being winched up into a helicopter.

Yes, that's what happened. The casualty was landed at Empress dock by boat. The helicopter subsequently landed there and departed some 30 mins or so later. No idea if the casualty was on board.
We heard the Hamble lifeboat make three unanswered calls to Solent CG during the shout.