Sold my Boat Today to a Repeat Customer

Irish Rover

Visit site
Anyone following PBO will see me spamming for advice, and probably know by now, I'm in the process of buying a new to me boat. I advertised my current boat on ApolloDuck late last week and asked a local small time broker whom I know to advertise it for me on a Turkish website. I had some interest from both but nothing concrete. Yesterday I was contacted by a guy who bought my previous boat from me in 2017. He asked to meet and view the boat with his wife - the boat is on the hard for painting, polishing and engine maintenance so pretty manky outside and a lot of clutter in the cabins - tentage, cushions, folding table etc etc.
Anyway he came with his wife and another couple and had a look around. I told him my bottom line price. He called again today and we had a short chat about a completion and handover date. I now have his holding deposit in my bank account. Happy days.

srm

Visit site
He obviously likes your choice of boats.

Not a repeat customer but a slightly similar occurrence last month. I did not advertise my boat but word got about. A guy looked at it but decided he could not easily resell it as he only wanted her for one trip - no not drugs. As a result of that interest another guy contacted me though he really wanted something bigger. He and his girlfriend came to look, she liked it. The following Sunday they invited me for lunch - on my boat. The price was right and a deal was agreed with money in my account on the Monday.
The price reflected the fact that she had been obviously neglected for around three years due to serious health problems. The guy was happy not to need a bank loan and to do the remedial work himself. He later told me that it was the only boat they looked at that did not smell of damp or mould inside, and his none-sailing girlfriend thought it was a "hippie boat" with good energy.
Now there's a new selling point.
It was interesting how many people advised the new owner to buy her. They described her as an older, solid, go anywhere, boat with all the gear he would need. But then we are in a marina frequented by long distance sailors and AWBs are a small minority.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
OK, I had a bout of 'it's a small world' syndrome....this guy was Irish and flew the triclr, and was off to Turkey..

oldgit

Visit site
Reasonably convinced that all the buyers of my previous boats would buy from me again, if only due to the fact that usually only sold after several years work and largish fortunes spent getting everything on the boat working properly again , then getting the strange idea that a "better" boat is out there .
The perfect example of hope over experience ?

Irish Rover

Visit site
I bought the boat I just sold in 2017 in Lefkada from a Swiss couple who had owned it for the previous 11 years. He was an engineer and an extremely fastidious guy. He spoke no English but with the help of his wife, who spoke a little, and our pal Google, we managed. When I viewed the boat I could see how much he loved it and I felt like I was being interviewed by a future father in law. The boat was in beautiful condition and, when my son and I went to collect it 4 months after the sale was complete, they drove from Switzerland to Preveza to help us get it ready and show us the ropes. I invited them to Türkiye for a holiday later that year. We stayed in touch for a few years but I hadn't heard from them for around 4 years. I sent them a message yesterday to let them know the boat is sold and they wanted all the details - how many hours on the engines now, who bought it, what I'm buying.

srm

Visit site
I have been down to my old boat a few times to advise. Have agreed to coach with boat handling and using the Monitor windvane steering. Around 8 tons displacement, longish keel, keel hung rudder, and bowsprit in the marina will be a bit different to his board sailing and HobiCat off the beach. Should be interesting.

rib

Visit site
Anyone following PBO will see me spamming for advice, and probably know by now, I'm in the process of buying a new to me boat. I advertised my current boat on ApolloDuck late last week and asked a local small time broker whom I know to advertise it for me on a Turkish website. I had some interest from both but nothing concrete. Yesterday I was contacted by a guy who bought my previous boat from me in 2017. He asked to meet and view the boat with his wife - the boat is on the hard for painting, polishing and engine maintenance so pretty manky outside and a lot of clutter in the cabins - tentage, cushions, folding table etc etc.
Anyway he came with his wife and another couple and had a look around. I told him my bottom line price. He called again today and we had a short chat about a completion and handover date. I now have his holding deposit in my bank account. Happy days.
Well done Irish rover.... Luck of the Irish :).. May see you again later in the year

oldgit

Visit site
For a sad few selling a boat is like selling a member of the family and great deal of solace can be found if the boat goes to the "right" new owner .
My last boat was sold to close relative and is moored just a few boats away.
Have more than one occasion walked over and pointed out he ought to be taking more care of "my" old boat. ☹️