So what is on your Winter task list - here's mine ...

Refueler

Visit site
Having had serious injury this year - many of the jobs I had planned have just not been done.

Main boat : (Sunrider 25)

TMTmobbm.jpg

I managed to replace headlining fore-cabin but then injury occurred ....
Heads, hanging locker and main cabins still have failed vinyl.
Galley / bilge system needs to have non-return valves fitted.
Seacocks need new handles
Wood rubbing strake needs replacement
Genoa UV strip to be removed - I've replaced it twice over the years and now decided that I'll just remove this present strip which has torn and not bother with another.
Replace Sprayhood ... mainsail cover ... dodgers
Sand / clean up and refinish internal woodwork
Re-set mast step position.

Weekender : (Kormoran 5m)

cGmQwesm.jpg

Fit new rubbing strake
Clean up and headlining to cabin
New cabin sole and carpet
New under-bunk locker lids
Bunk 'furnishings'

Soviet Speedboat : (Progress4)

9G2EVWZm.jpg

Repaint 'decks' .. hull
Replace 'dash' where water has warped the plywood
Install larger battery system along with more instruments

Other work :

Consider Solar charging or Wind Power system on pontoon to power boats while moored.
Design more secure pontoon position system
Add further pontoon sections to extend my mooring capability in my channel.

Obviously this is not just winter work ... in fact due to winters here dropping to -25C and lower .... its not exactly inviting to go out there to work on boats. I have a Frost Protector heater set at about 300W auto in the SR25 to maintain gear above freezing. Boat work here tends to be start of spring, near end of autumn while temps are still OK.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Done oil and fuel. Change coolant, anodes, antifoul, seal/wax newly painted hull when I find out how, put mainsail back on, get gooseneck replaced. Ideally but unlikely get in boom reefing serviced. Do more winter sailing

superheat6k

Visit site
Why are you replacing the Eberspacher?
The D4 has packed up i.e. dead as a dodo. Possibly me connecting the -VE to +VE when I changed the battery recently, but not sure as that would not have created a circuit through the controller, but there is power to the loom and nothing at all happens.

So spend lots of cash fixing an old Eberspacher or simply replace with a new Chinaspacher for £94. The ECU for the D4 alone is ~ £350.

Having now fitted several of these I am satisfied they are entirely safe. The one in my workshop hasn't run since last winter. So yesterday I fired it up for the first time. Immediate start on first attempt.

Momac

Visit site
Hour meter repairs - done
Engine coolant - done
Fuel tank sender - cant yet get the old one out
Engines - fit new impeller in starboard engine . (Port engine done).
Engine oil change - leaving this until the spring/summer
Fuel filters - usually do this after a run in the spring.
Mente Automatic trim tab controls - thinking of fitting subject to chief officer approval of expenditure

So spend lots of cash fixing an old Eberspacher or simply replace with a new Chinaspacher for £94. The ECU for the D4 alone is ~ £350.
Perhaps not quite that much but certainly more money than a Chinese heater
I opted for the ECU replacement as it was an easy fit. In May 2019 the price was £182 incl VAT .
Eberspacher D4 12v Ecu/control Box - Kirknalls Ltd
1668969036599.png

superheat6k

Visit site
Hour meter repairs - done
Engine coolant - done
Fuel tank sender - cant yet get the old one out
Engines - fit new impeller in starboard engine . (Port engine done).
Engine oil change - leaving this until the spring/summer
Fuel filters - usually do this after a run in the spring.
Mente Automatic trim tab controls - thinking of fitting subject to chief officer approval of expenditure

Perhaps not quite that much but certainly more money than a Chinese heater
I opted for the ECU replacement as it was an easy fit. In May 2019 the price was £182 incl VAT .
Eberspacher D4 12v Ecu/control Box - Kirknalls Ltd
View attachment 146432
That is still over the price of 2 Chinese versions complete.

Elessar

Visit site
The D4 has packed up i.e. dead as a dodo. Possibly me connecting the -VE to +VE when I changed the battery recently, but not sure as that would not have created a circuit through the controller, but there is power to the loom and nothing at all happens.

Having now fitted several of these I am satisfied they are entirely safe. The one in my workshop hasn't run since last winter. So yesterday I fired it up for the first time. Immediate start on first attempt.
Totally agree. I have fitted two to my boat. And had one on the last boat for six years.

Momac

Visit site
That is still over the price of 2 Chinese versions complete.
Yes but replacing a ECU was very easy in my case.
I am guessing components off a chinese heater eg an ECU , glow plug , fan etc don't fit or function with an Eberspacher