Small Flat, Big Boat???

Varne850

Visit site
We are both in our 50's .No kids at home anymore(except when they come back for money) and want to sell our detached house and buy a Flat/Apartment and move up to a larger boat. Has anybody done this and had regrets. We are both still in full time employment so cant just up anchor and go but would just like to have a bit more comfort when crossing the channel with a bit more space. Any comments? Currently have a 27ft Varne.
Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Hi varne850. Individual circumstances always vary and qa real answer needs more info. But a boatie's house is never too small, and their boat is never too big. Can you sell the house first and live on the boat, I wonder . This gives more leverage when it comes to buying back into the property market - not an urgent matter more the next year or so of course.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
We went this way, though not entirely by design. Children grown up. Sold a four-bedroomed detached house to buy a yacht to cruise in. Also sold/threw away all the paraphanalia one accumulates over the years (relief!). Cash left over provided a small income. After a while we returned to England to earn a bit more, still living aboard. Then, after three years we decided we would come ashore, mainly because it was clear property prices were about to rise. But we didn't want to lose the yacht, so we bought a 2-bedroom flat.

After living aboard, the space in the flat feels luxurious. We bought a flat within a few minutes walk of the marina and this helps in a number of ways. If we have guests, they or we can sleep on the boat. My partner can't practice her musical instruments in the flat, but she can use the yacht.

Main drawbacks - (i) well there are obvious problems living cheek by jowl in flats, that need tolerance. Ours are at least by common consent 'quiet' flats. (ii) Lack of anywhere to do DIY for maintaining the yacht. (iii) Relatives are not so keen to come and stay as they were when we had all the space of a house, but maybe you'd see that as an advantage.

B

bob_tyler

"My partner can't practice her musical instruments in the flat, but she can use the yacht."

Must be a big yacht to take a grand piano!

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Don't knock it. Busking is a very handy source of additional income when cruising.

It may not be a grand piano, more along the lines of a clarinet and saxophone. One guy we came across while cruising had a double base, a drum kit, and a full amplification outfit --- all in (or on) a 30 footer! It really got tight when he picked up a woman, but that's another story.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Varne850,

Sounds to me like you should be looking at a 35 to 40 foot cat, loads of space, stable and comfortable fast cruising, room for the visiting guests; and a great liveaboard.

An improvement on hauling a great lump of lead around that reduces the hell, sorry heel.

Don't need deep water, can be beached and reflaoted with ease and the list goes on and on. I 'was' a dedicated monohull sailer till I lived on a cat, still enjoy sailing mono's for the odd race or regatta with friends, but love the cat....

Just take a look at a few, your in no great hurry so should be able to pick one up at the right price, just take your time.

Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>