slight oil leak from crank case cover

kashurst

Visit site
One of my KAMD 300s has developed a slight oil leak from the pressed metal cover that covers the access to the cam followers in the side of the crank case. Law of Sod the leaky one, is the cover behind the fuel injection pump.
Ordinarily the leak is very minor and I just give it a wipe once or twice a year. As it stands I wouldn't bother about it.
However I will soon be doing the valve adjustment and I will be removing all the fuel injection pipes, ECU etc to do the valves. This will probably give me pretty good access to the leaky cover too, so might be a good opportunity to fix a minor leak.

There are two bolts securing the cover. One bolt is exposed and looks easy to get at, the other is behind the injection pump. I'm not sure if there will be enough clearance to unscrew this bolt out without removing the fuel injection pump. I don't want to disturb the bolts unless I can be sure I can get it all off, clean it all up and re-seal it as I don't want to make the leak worse, and I do not want to take the injection pump off at all.

Any suggestions?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
One of my KAMD 300s has developed a slight oil leak from the pressed metal cover that covers the access to the cam followers in the side of the crank case. Law of Sod the leaky one, is the cover behind the fuel injection pump.
Ordinarily the leak is very minor and I just give it a wipe once or twice a year. As it stands I wouldn't bother about it.
However I will soon be doing the valve adjustment and I will be removing all the fuel injection pipes, ECU etc to do the valves. This will probably give me pretty good access to the leaky cover too, so might be a good opportunity to fix a minor leak.

There are two bolts securing the cover. One bolt is exposed and looks easy to get at, the other is behind the injection pump. I'm not sure if there will be enough clearance to unscrew this bolt out without removing the fuel injection pump. I don't want to disturb the bolts unless I can be sure I can get it all off, clean it all up and re-seal it as I don't want to make the leak worse, and I do not want to take the injection pump off at all.

Any suggestions?

There is a seal behind the bolt , a seal behind the cover , I’ve done a few last year including Nichos 44s
Not a long job to take pump off but you must mark up it’s position , replace the 2 o rings where the pump bolts to the spacer and timing case , get it wrong and it will run rough.

Other threads that may be of interest