Slappy arse awb's

Daydream believer

Visit site
I once had the misfortune to spend the night on a clinker built Folkboat ... never, ever, buy a clinker built boat if you ever want to get a good night's sleep. An overindulgence of G & T didn't even help !!
I had 2 clinker built Stellas & one soon gets used to it. It is kind of nice to go to sleep with the noise of the wind in the rigging & sea against the lands & wake in the morning, in the total silence of the early dawn, when all is still, apart from the tide gently rippling past the hull. That was in the days I could sometimes spend the night on the hook free of sea sickness

dankilb

Visit site
I’m thinking of using the armaflex-style foam insulation I’m fitting above the waterline and carrying it on under the aft cabin bunks (41’ Jen). Also want to lay the the rubber floor protector stuff in the lazarette lockers, under which I reckon most of the slapping occurs.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Slappy arses are not restricted to modern boats. The worst night I have spent on a boat was on my 1912 Anker and Jensen ex-six-metre. The waves lifted the bow causing the counter stern to crash into the water. As the wave reached the stern it forced the bow with its U-shaped section to thump into the next one.

Nights at anchor on a Renown (Longbow with aft cabin) could be interesting as well. Sleeping in the fore cabin is not advisable as the momentary episodes of weightlessness are not conducive to sleep. Unfortunately the later Westerly models all seem to have fat arses. Including the Seahawk, which I moved on to after I sold my Renown. It has a great after cabin but that can be a noisy place if there is a slop from astern.

tyce

Visit site
Had a Moody 31Mk11, horrendous slapping. Beneteau 343 does occasionally but not bad and seems much easier to stop it.

davidaprice

Visit site
Our 1987 Maxi 999 has this problem too. In the wrong conditions it sounds like someone's repeatedly striking the underside of the stern with a baseball bat - impossible then to sleep in the stern cabin, and pretty unpleasant throughout the boat. We've taken to avoiding tying up with the stern to the waves, but if that means we're stern to the jetty then it's tricky getting ashore since we don't have a sugar scoop.

Neeves

Visit site
I think the problem might be accentuated by spending nights in a marina with the stern subject to passing traffic - the solution might be to spend more nights at anchor (and then you will have so much more to contribute to anchor threads - frabtious days).

Roger's 'use your noodle' are the simple answer and for some reason I recall in the deep recesses of memory someone was spruiking inflatable versions actually designed to fit under sugar scoops and cut down slap.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
That would (might) have the advantage of being deployed deflated and inflated once in position. Getting something buoyant under an immersed sugar scoop stern could be tricky...
Noodles are actually not difficult - you tie a rope on either end and then 'work' each end bit by bit until you have cut down the slap then use the ropes you used to manoeuvre the noodle to secure the noodle. It s bit of a faff, better to have moored the other way round in the first place - even better - anchor!

Though even at anchor you can get the slap slap, but if you are at anchor you do not have neighbours who hear anything.

Jonathan

Daydream believer

Visit site
I think the problem might be accentuated by spending nights in a marina with the stern subject to passing traffic - the solution might be to spend more nights at anchor (and then you will have so much more to contribute to anchor threads - frabtious days).

Jonathan
That is a bit drastic-- suggesting -( if i have you correct)-- that one should have experience of something before offering expert advice. I hope that is not going to be a new forum policy. Once I had posted an answer there would be nothing to debate. :cry:

PabloPicasso

Visit site
If it's any consolation, it will be much worse in the boat concerned. Our HR 34 has a fairly moderate stern and doesn't usually suffer but can do if there is much of a slop from astern. A friend's Bav 34 from 2002 didn't look much different but suffered quite badly, and many newer boats much more, of course. Any surface that is close to being horizontal can cause noise. Sleeping in the forecabin helps.
Get a double ender with a canoe stern. No wide flat stern to slap

Neeves

Visit site
That is a bit drastic-- suggesting -( if i have you correct)-- that one should have experience of something before offering expert advice. I hope that is not going to be a new forum policy. Once I had posted an answer there would be nothing to debate. :cry:

Daydream - I'd never suggest actual hands on experience is require to post - if this rule were enforced the forum would soon die and the entertainment value would be lost. What would those with low boredom thresholds do?

Jonathan

Daydream believer

Visit site
I've got my Bav 36 laden down with cruising gear, and with the two tanks in the back also full, the waterline is high enough to leave no gap under the stern - so no slap.

Charter boats are lightly loaded so sit high in the water, increasing the tendency to have slappy bottoms.
It must be difficult for those who keep their boats far from home to reduce weight on the boat. Every year I deliberately take everything off except the toolbox & dustpan & brush & some rags. There are some blankets I place over work surfaces to prevent scratches. If I need anything for maintenance I take it back & forth with me. Give me a chance to get rid of superfluous gear. It always amazes me how much accumulates over a year.
What always winds me up is when I take my daughter for a long weekend to somewhere like Ostend, she has to take 5 pairs of shoes on a boat where , if she walked more than 31 feet she would fall in. :eek: When we get there she always goes compulsive shoe shopping. Still all that extra gear stops arse slapping. Not that she would notice , banged up in a hotel :)
Reckons it is more civilised than my noisy boat-- cheeky %%% :rolleyes:

Last edited: