Sideshift St230

RobertWood

Visit site
Hi, thanks for letting me join your forum.
I have a Merry Fisher 795 S2, with standard bow thruster, but she’s still terrible to get in our berth with tide & wind.
Looking at a Sideshift ST230 which bolts on to the outboard leg.. currently on offer til Friday! Looks a bit crude but does it work? Anybody fitted one or has one?
Thanks v much.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I’ve not seen one of these before. Interesting!
However just watching some YouTube videos, I’m not convinced. Looks great in calm situations but that’s not the problem you have.
Not being funny but how about booking some lessons with a pro. Probably like me, we like to learn by experience ourselves but how many times have you berthed in the wind and then tried it again another half a dozen times. You will with a pro.
Having had two single engine boats before a twin you do have my sympathy :)

stelican

Visit site
Hi, thanks for letting me join your forum.
I have a Merry Fisher 795 S2, with standard bow thruster, but she’s still terrible to get in our berth with tide & wind.
Looking at a Sideshift ST230 which bolts on to the outboard leg.. currently on offer til Friday! Looks a bit crude but does it work? Anybody fitted one or has one?
Thanks v much.
As you already have a bow thruster and you are propelled by an outboard you should have no problem getting sideways movement.
May be worth spending a few hours with an instructor.

RobertWood

Visit site
I’ve not seen one of these before. Interesting!
However just watching some YouTube videos, I’m not convinced. Looks great in calm situations but that’s not the problem you have.
Not being funny but how about booking some lessons with a pro. Probably like me, we like to learn by experience ourselves but how many times have you berthed in the wind and then tried it again another half a dozen times. You will with a pro.
Having had two single engine boats before a twin you do have my sympathy :)
Hi DavidJ thanks for your quick reply. I thought like you initially & tried the professionals in Plymouth, SeaRegs but after 9 months of chasing they could not find an instructor who was confident on single OB MF’s 🤦
I did find a very experienced professional & had several great sessions, but would just like a ‘get me out of jail’ option for those windy gusts.

alandalus11

Visit site
You say the thruster bolts onto the outboard leg. When your leg is turned won't that make the thruster useless? The leg would need to be straight ahead for any real side thrust?? or am I missing something. Just get lots of practice in and good tuition.. You should easily be able to use the leg and bow thruster you have to get her to move sideways..

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site
Hi DavidJ thanks for your quick reply. I thought like you initially & tried the professionals in Plymouth, SeaRegs but after 9 months of chasing they could not find an instructor who was confident on single OB MF’s 🤦
I did find a very experienced professional & had several great sessions, but would just like a ‘get me out of jail’ option for those windy gusts.
Try Scotsail in Largs they use a Merry Fisher 725 with a Suzuki 150hp outboard.

They made us practice going in and out of finger berths many times up at Largs in a force 5 to 6 wind, never used the bow thruster on board and had to do it all just using the outboard, the course was well worth the money and the instruction was great, at the end of it my wife who had no boating experience at all before this came away with her Powerboat Level 2 ticket.

scotsail.co.uk

Canopy Locked

Visit site
Ditto to above - used to have a Merry Fisher 755 (no BT) single engine - some practice will help.... as will getting someone to show you how to use spring lines - a real eyeopener when I was shown how - get one line on a cleat and you're home dry

simonfraser

Visit site
i have a MF 695, one OB and thruster
pulling out of the slipway with a strong cross tide and wind needs a lot of power to keep her away from the jetty
tuition def helps, some berthing conditions may just be too stressful

matt8442

Visit site
Evening Robert,
I had the sideshift ST 340 bow and SS340 stern thrusters fitted to my Sunseeker san remo 35 about five years ago. The thrusters worked really well, allowed me to get the boat in single handed in blustery conditions. Usual anodes and an annual clean off and antifoul as per most things hull related, but the kit was good quality. Only downside is the looks, but you balance that out against the confidence and control you get on the boat. Sold the boat two years ago, still see her down the marina, and the new owners still use the same thrusters, so still working after five years of use. Appreciate that’s not the ones your wanting to use, but just thought I’d give you feedback on what I thought of sideshift as a product.

Gustywinds

Visit site
I am also interested in any information on this unit. As I'm going to be going solo quite frequently, I've pretty much been limiting my boat search to shaft drives with bow and stern thrusters (or space to fit one) or twin sterndrives with bow thruster. I saw a tech fitting one of them yesterday and it looked pretty simple. He said he had fitted several but had no idea as to it's effectiveness. He also didn't know if the wireless control could be linked to something like Dockmate or Yachtmaster.
I'm going to call the dealers when I get back to UK
To be clear, its this model About Outboard and Sterndrive Thrusters - Sideshift Bow Thrusters and Stern Thrusters