Shrimpy sails again !!

chrisedwards

Visit site
Hmmm.. I did say I wasn't condemning him. his was an admirable adventure.
I wouldn't stick the guy on a pedestal though. while he was drifting around bumming this and that off others the rest of the world was working. farming or fighting wars and everything else to keep the world turning. he's only the nautical equivalent of someone who drops out of society and backpacks around the world on the charity of others.

we could all apply a little of shane actons ways to our lives. maybe have a more modest yacht, work less as a result and have more time to sail it. somebody once said to me: 'Don't get caught up in the rat race -even if you win the race, you are still a rat'. Good Point.

shanes cruise wasn't a bad one. I just hope that when he got home he cut his hair, had a shave and got a job.

and Brutus is an honourable man....

Gelmaster

Visit site
Jeesh.... Live & let live.
Muhammed Ali alias Cassius Clay, refused to fight any war, but he will always be one of the greatest.
I think "Contessaman", that you have lost (been outvoted) a topic of discussion, and that you are desperately going way too deep.
I am 100% sure that everyone respects the armed forces for what they accomplish for the peace of mankind.
Wind your neck in !

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
[...] The book is a tale of him traveling the world being helped by everyone, everywhere. Without the good will of those honest hard working people the world over he would have been down and out from the outset.[...]
You really do need to bear in mind that Shane Acton wrote his own books - they were not the work of a professional ghost-writer.
Books never contain the unbiased Absolute Truth of events - they are works of art as perceived through an author's perceptual filter, and consolidate as a reflection of the author's own character - that, and as the result of several 'edits' by the publisher to ensure that the book finally emerges as an entertaining read.

Shane's books are but one person's accounts of the events that occurred during his travels - to take them at face value as being absolutely factual is no different as believing that what you read in the newspapers must be true.

But let us suppose for one moment that the events are Absolutely True, or as near true as any one person's narrative can ever be ...
Had Shane Acton wished to portray himself as a self-sufficient, highly independent individual, then that is the literary bias he would have employed - but he chose to target considerable focus upon those who assisted him. So why might this be ?

Perhaps he wished to repay their kindness and generosity in the most appropriate way he knew of; perhaps he wished to share any fame that his books might bring; perhaps he suffered from an innate modesty and didn't have a burning desire to inflate his own ego, as others might have done around the yacht-club bar.

maby

Visit site
While I suspect he may have put a bit of lipstick on the pig, he certainly did make the voyage and, as an ex-Caprice owner, I would stand in awe of anyone that could sail one across the Channel, let alone round the world.

By his own admission, he knew virtually nothing when he set out, and the fact that he wasn't killed several times over was an incredible tribute to his resourcefullness - and sheer pig-headedness. That said, his actions in setting out were pretty reckless and, if he hadn't made it round, the world's judgement of him would have been very different...

Cloona

Visit site
well here we all are years later remembering him -

is there any truth in the marijuana thing or is it just random

jimmcgee

Visit site
no were in the story is there any mention of marajohanna or talking fish ? , if your looking for that stuff read tinkerbell !! lol that guy was wired to the moooon .

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I wouldn't stick the guy on a pedestal though. while he was drifting around bumming this and that off others the rest of the world was working. farming or fighting wars and everything else to keep the world turning. he's only the nautical equivalent of someone who drops out of society and backpacks around the world on the charity of others.

shanes cruise wasn't a bad one. I just hope that when he got home he cut his hair, had a shave and got a job.

I think maybe you need to re-read it. Have you forgotten that he was in the military before he went off on his journey? That he worked in his home town to save to buy the boat? That he worked on building sites in Cornwall to earn the money to fit out and save some money for the trip? That he worked in various ports in odd jobs, and doing repairs, teaching navigation? That he and his patner did the gruelling work of taking their boat round shopping malls in Australia? That they worked for best part of a year at some mining camp in Australia?

Yes, he had lots of help from many people. He made no secret of that, and always expressed his gratitude. I think it telling that he received help from the very poor and the very rich. You suggest he was putting nothing into society, but even aside from his working, he was putting inspiration, companionship and purpose into the lives of a wide range of people who very gladly supportedd him in their various ways/. I doubt many of us have jobs which enrich the lives of as many people, or as much as he did for those he came in touch with.

I don't know and I don't care whether or how much dope he smoked. He certainly doesn't come across as a stoner. He was always up and doing something, even before his voyage.

P.S. IIRC he did indeed get a haircut and a job when he came back, but couldn't settle, and set off again!

contessaman

Visit site
I think maybe you need to re-read it. Have you forgotten that he was in the military before he went off on his journey? That he worked in his home town to save to buy the boat? That he worked on building sites in Cornwall to earn the money to fit out and save some money for the trip?

He didnt do much time in the marines. He didn't fit in. You'll all hate me for saying it but I'll wager he was on the dole as well as doing the odd bit of building work.

Clearly what makes me tick is different to the majority of folk on this forum. Most of you appear to be genuinely touched by his efforts, inspired by them. I can't help who I am and as I said in my first post; hats off to the guy for pulling it off, but I just cant see him as a role model. He was unprepared, he coped well with a little luck and a degree of hardiness but it could have gone so horribly wrong. Would-be sailors picking up the book then thinking they can head off into the yonder in a tiny boat could easily meet an untimely end.

I've obviously come accross as an ignorant jarhead biggot on this one, but I really was underwhelmed with the book. I have been touched by a great many tales of adventure and survival, but not this one.

maybe you can all help me out?

Here is a tale of an undoubtably pleasant man. He has no money, a tiny boat, and no idea what he is doing. He heads off into the blue, doesnt manage to kill himself, and eventually becomes a hardened blue water sailor. He handles a small yacht (but by no means the smallest) very well considering its original intended use. He does a few favours and odd jobs here and there but doesnt need much money as he has no real out goings. Thats his story.

To my mind, this is no different to the scores of couples and families who set off on the ARC and beyond every year. Yep they have a better boat, but then they probably worked a hell of a lot harder than shane to pay for it. They probably had a better idea of what they were doing at the outset with some level of training/experience -such that they have a fighting chance of making the trip without somebody having to risk their necks going to rescue them. And yes, no matter what they thought they knew at the start, I expect the learning curve was exponential, and they would return as hardened sailors.

so whats the difference? I just cant see it! please enlighten me. Is it the shoestring budget? would you all feel the same if he had delayed his voyage a year or two, knuckled down to a proper job and done it in say, a 30 footer??

Is it the small boat? because what shackleton did in the j'ames caird' blows it out of the water. more recently a wayfarer dinghy has sailed to iceland..

I just dont get it!!

chinita

Visit site
I am with you, Contessaman.

He was a hippy who chose to express himself by taking to sea. Nothing wrong with that BUT, as a seafarer he does not rate, even by the standards of his own day.

May I suggest that his admirers take the time to read Roger Taylor's two books and compare the two individuals in terms of attitude and ability.

To the OP, I don't have pdf but I have a very tatty, waterstained, copy which I will happlily post to you if you PM me with an address.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
He didnt do much time in the marines. He didn't fit in. You'll all hate me for saying it but I'll wager he was on the dole as well as doing the odd bit of building work.

Clearly what makes me tick is different to the majority of folk on this forum. Most of you appear to be genuinely touched by his efforts, inspired by them. I can't help who I am and as I said in my first post; hats off to the guy for pulling it off, but I just cant see him as a role model. He was unprepared, he coped well with a little luck and a degree of hardiness but it could have gone so horribly wrong. Would-be sailors picking up the book then thinking they can head off into the yonder in a tiny boat could easily meet an untimely end.

I've obviously come accross as an ignorant jarhead biggot on this one, but I really was underwhelmed with the book. I have been touched by a great many tales of adventure and survival, but not this one.

maybe you can all help me out?

Here is a tale of an undoubtably pleasant man. He has no money, a tiny boat, and no idea what he is doing. He heads off into the blue, doesnt manage to kill himself, and eventually becomes a hardened blue water sailor. He handles a small yacht (but by no means the smallest) very well considering its original intended use. He does a few favours and odd jobs here and there but doesnt need much money as he has no real out goings. Thats his story.

To my mind, this is no different to the scores of couples and families who set off on the ARC and beyond every year. Yep they have a better boat, but then they probably worked a hell of a lot harder than shane to pay for it. They probably had a better idea of what they were doing at the outset with some level of training/experience -such that they have a fighting chance of making the trip without somebody having to risk their necks going to rescue them. And yes, no matter what they thought they knew at the start, I expect the learning curve was exponential, and they would return as hardened sailors.

so whats the difference? I just cant see it! please enlighten me. Is it the shoestring budget? would you all feel the same if he had delayed his voyage a year or two, knuckled down to a proper job and done it in say, a 30 footer??

Is it the small boat? because what shackleton did in the j'ames caird' blows it out of the water. more recently a wayfarer dinghy has sailed to iceland..

I just dont get it!!

To compare his voyagng with a typical ARC boat is a nonsense. For a start he was singlehanded.

Better to compare him with other singlehanded circumnavigators people like Joshua Slocum, Bernard Moitessier, Vito Dumas, Krystyna Chojnowska-Liskiewicz amd Jessica Watson.

I for one do not say he is a role model for sailors in terms of his preparation skills but it is hard to beat his example on bottle and stickability.

Perhaps he is the ultimate example of the Pardey's mantra "Go small, Go simple, Go now

I think there are few circumnavigators who would not be prepared to buy him a beer and a packet of fags when they meet him in that bar in the far far west.

Signed Out

Visit site
OK. Not yet read the book. And don't want to just come across as jumping on the "lets pick on Contessaman" bandwagon...

But.

I just can't pass by some comments made.

So the fact he didn't last long in the marines and didn't fit in is a counter to his being in them? "Sorry lad, you joined the armed forces, thus accepting the chance of going into combat and being killed, but you just aren't one of the team". Hmmm.

And going by the working in the mines reference, I feel that counts as working rather hard. I suspect not all in the rallies sweated blood to get their Hallbergs. And those on rallies not getting in harm's way and making any choices that could require rescue? Hmmm, let me think about the Indian Ocean/Arabian Gulf...

But answering the important question, what did he do?

Inspire many it seems.

(As ever, my tagline stands).

Even Chance

Visit site
The book sounds a good read. Somebody says its on a freeware PDF? Anybody care to help me to obtain it and read it please?

The guy sounds like he had a grand old life aboard. I can only dream and aspire......

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
I cannot understand why some people on this thread, who - as far as I know - do not have their own track record of outstanding intrepid achievement, are seeking to compare those who are known to have - seemingly in order to rank them in some kind of 'heroic enterprise' league table.

It reminds me of the conversations often heard between hopelessly out-of-condition pot-bellied men as to who is the best striker within various football teams - when they themselves would have great difficulty in just running the full length of the pitch without collapsing ...

I remain in awe of anyone who sets off to cross even one ocean in a small boat.

Kelpie

Visit site

I just dont get it!!

Well if it didn't inspire you, it didn't inspire you, and that's that.
I would certainly not feel the same about it if Acton had saved up and bought a bigger boat. The whole point was that he just went and did it, in the boat that he could afford at the time. If you like, he represents one end of the spectrum of the 'sell up and go' mentality. Some people occupy the other end of the spectrum, with an 80ft shiny boat and paid crew. But each to our own.

I wish I had the balls to just get up and go, like Acton. But I have some things to do at home first.

Your comparisons with Shackleton or Taylor are a little tangential. Taylor only sails a few weeks every year. Shackleton did it out of necessity over the course of a few days. Neither is an example of a lifestyle choice. Not to put down two great sailors who have also inspired me hugely.

The Wayfarer trip to Iceland was not particularly recent, mid 60s, but all the more remarkable given the equipment available back then.

Robin

Visit site
Shane Acton made a cardinal error in doing something in a boat that didn't fit the long keeled massive ballast ratio design criteria, therefore he absolutely had to be on some kind of drugs, or was mad or some kind of no hoper. How DARE he do that and expose all the myths.

Those that can DO. Those that cannot, CRITICISE.