Ship struck and destroyed Baltimore bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concerto

Visit site
Shocking report but thankfully at a quiet time of day. Today Baltimore will be in double shock, firstly the loss of life and secondly the traffic chaos for probably several years.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Yes, spotted it a couple of hours ago. Quick AIS check showed Dali[SG] and track. I think it was doing 8-10 kts a mile or so from the bridge. Veered to stbd and slowed at that point. Only a quick look but obvious something wasn't right by then. It will take a while to investigate. I hope they rescue some from the water but doesn't look good for anyone crossing at the time.

Last edited:

fisherman

Visit site
You can see they switched on a lot of deck lights and forward searchlight or similar, then cloud of smoke from presumably going astern. Unluckily seems there were workmen, vehicles with flashing lights, but no actual moving vehicles at the point of collapse.

Minerva

Visit site
Looking at the photos it looks like the bridge does not have any ship collision mitigation barriers in place as is common in the UK / Europe.

Looks like it comes down to poor safety standards & cost cutting

veshengro

Visit site
There will be some frantic voyage rescheduling going on in Baltimore Port, I'm sure. After rescues, I would think clearing the Fairway would be first priority. Even when I was last in Baltimore Port, long before Container Terminals etc: it was a very busy Port.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
am i the only one thinking that bridge disintegrated really quickly?
It did look as if the supports had no ship collision mitigation barriers. Did seem to show the ship hitting one support and that would just topple. That side of the bridge would collapse immediately with no support and the section towards the other support would not be balanced. One part would fall down and the bit on the other side of that support would then pull the remainder down. Looked like a pretty quick cascade.

There will be some frantic voyage rescheduling going on in Baltimore Port, I'm sure. After rescues, I would think clearing the Fairway would be first priority. Even when I was last in Baltimore Port, long before Container Terminals etc: it was a very busy Port.

I'd agree that they will want to clear that area once things settle down as it will get the port back into operation. I think the fairway is only 300m wide and 15m deep with 4-5m depth either side of the dredged channel. Road traffic will suffer major disruption for a very long time but shipping should be OK in a much shorter time.

Last edited:

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Those poor b*ggers on the bridge, they wouldn't have stood a chance. All that debris and hitting the water from that height. I expect that the water temperature is only 5-8 degrees too, you don't last long in that especially wearing heavy work gear.

penberth3

Visit site
Looking at the photos it looks like the bridge does not have any ship collision mitigation barriers in place as is common in the UK / Europe.

Looks like it comes down to poor safety standards & cost cutting

Complete and utter nonsense. Above a certain weight/speed no barrier is going to help.

Mister E

Visit site
Those poor b*ggers on the bridge, they wouldn't have stood a chance. All that debris and hitting the water from that height. I expect that the water temperature is only 5-8 degrees too, you don't last long in that especially wearing heavy work gear.
That was my thoughts watching it being shown on TV when they said about people working on the bridge.
So the rest of it those poor souls didn't stand a chance.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Footage showing two losses of power.

Just a thought, the Captain would not have been in charge, but rather a Pilot from the port, who wouldn't be that familiar with the ship.
The Pilot advises the Master who always remains in command of the ship------Apart from the Panama Canal where the Pilot takes command.

lustyd

Visit site
Must admit I wasn't expecting the failure to be that fast along the whole length of the bridge. Surprised how long the lights were out on the ship for failure 1 too, I'd have expected nearly immediate backup systems to fire up for lighting at least

Status
Not open for further replies.