She 36

Vara

Visit site
Raced in She36 cross channel once very fast,a bit wet,but that was probably a function of the way she was being sailed.......beating all the way.
The reach back home was beautiful F4/5 brilliant sun 6.5/7.5 Kn with absolutely no effort.
A lovely boat with by modern terms small accomodation,but gave the impression of being a very capable sea boat.
I'd have one!

jerryat

Visit site
Hi ACTrue,

I can't help you with any sensible details, but did get very close to buying one a few years ago. IMHO they are really great looking boats and have a very good reputation for seaworthiness and reliability. I didn't buy the one I was looking at (she subsequently sailed to the Caribbean and Med.) because at the time I just could'nt afford her, but have always had that tiny ache about what might have been.

Hope you have better luck and buy one.

Cheers Jerry

jstalpaert

Visit site
The She 36 is a S&S design, build by South Hants Marines. I have a copy of the original brochure (got it from S&S). I you are interested, i can e-mail it to you.

tugboat

Visit site
Sailing Today did a used boat test -issue 74 of June 2003. Points for:Well built, stable & seaworthy, quick to windward. Points against:Limited headroom,no aft cabin,Awkward winch positions.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
The American sailor and author Webb Chiles' last boat, Resurgam, was, I believe, a She 36 bought in the UK. It sank off Florida and he swam for ages before being picked up by a fishing boat - he wrote "Swimming" about that incident. I'm sure it isn't a reflection on She 36's generally, but might be interesting to research because he sailed many miles on her.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
ACtrue,

I sailed a She36 twice a week or more for 5 years out of Plymouth, and I have to say it was the nicest boat I have sailed during and since.....

Extremely seaworthy... and a great passage maker......

Delightful to helm.. all the feedback you could ask for, yet light and very little weatherhelm.... kept a grip until the toerails were WELL into the water, and didn't need reefing early... and when it all got to much just gently rounded up, and then off you went again... pointed well... tacked through a pretty small angle...

Sailed her in anything up to an 8, and never once felt that she wasn't going to look after me.....just generally felt solid and secure....

As you might guess, I am quite a fan of these boats... if you get chance for a test sail, take it.... you'll love her...