September 1st.

grafozz

Visit site
4 x Italian boats turned up in my marina and seemed to have taken root , they have stayed put some for 6 weeks now ,
where do they empty their holding tanks if they never go to sea ?

harbours looking a bit murky ......

grumpygit

Visit site
Believe me they haven't all gone home yet. When they do the Rushkies will be out to replace them !
To be honest, we've seen a lot, lot more of the French than the Italians this year in the NE Aegean.

Visit site
Peace has also arrived in Greece - only Italian left on the pontoon here in Gouvia is looking v mournful 'cos he doesn't have anyone to talk to.....
Send him round to "G" dock. Salvatore and his girlfriend (wonderful people) will be there for weeks yet!

We had an Italian neighbour in Gaios last night. Magnificent classic 60s motorboat, beautifully restored but all that varnished mahogany and polished chromework!

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Glad to report that they're all heading back north as I type this out. Quiet once again will rule in the Ionian until next summer, when we'll hopefully be in the Aegean.......

We're leaving the Aegean this weekend and heading for the Ionian to get away from the Eastern Europeans and Russians.
We're sick of the aggression, lazy seamanship and general rowdiness, and that's just the British flotillas. The rest are worse.
The Italians, will I hope be a little more entertaining.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We're leaving the Aegean this weekend and heading for the Ionian to get away from the Eastern Europeans and Russians.
We're sick of the aggression, lazy seamanship and general rowdiness, and that's just the British flotillas. The rest are worse.
The Italians, will I hope be a little more entertaining.
Once this weather as passed we starting our way back there too .
We started our visit to Croatia with thunder storms it look like we will be ending our visit the same way .

www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

AndrewB

Visit site
Magic! The Italians have just vanished!

Favourite Italian moment last month:

"No I'm certainly not over your anchor, I've been sailing 30 years so how dare you question my competence."

When we left, we found, as we suspected not only was his chain over ours but he'd only held by tangling his anchor with ours. So when they came up together, instead of just dumping his back as per usual, we carried it over to his yacht, where he was standing on the foredeck, and dropped it down directly in front of him. Apopleptic rage, fortunately in a language we don't understand.

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Magic! The Italians have just vanished!

Favourite Italian moment last month:

"No I'm certainly not over your anchor, I've been sailing 30 years so how dare you question my competence."

When we left, we found, as we suspected not only was his chain over ours but he'd only held by tangling his anchor with ours. So when they came up together, instead of just dumping his back as per usual, we carried it over to his yacht, where he was standing on the foredeck, and dropped it down directly in front of him. Apopleptic rage, fortunately in a language we don't understand.

Clearly your fault then

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
They haven't left Sami yet, four or five of them here next to us but they are an exception to the rule: competent sailors, reasonably quiet and frustrated that a bad forecast has stopped them from heading home.
On the other hand, there a Scandawegian next door who has squeezed his boat into a space too small for it without dropping an anchor and was amazed when I was a tad irritated with him! Go figure. And now he's discovering why you should always check the outboard before you sail off on your charter yacht - it isn't working......

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
I love this day every year; the Italians have gone home, no more do I have to listen to their every conversation from a mile away. They have very important mobile phone calls to make, so important in fact that it could not be done inside their boat, but on our transom which seems to be the most discreet place...........................Bliss: September 1st, no longer do I have to listen to Mario shouting to Fiorenzo in the next marina down about nothing.

Long live September 1st!!
Cambio, Cambio!

Metabarca

Visit site
Il 1 settembre! Finalmente gli inglesi con le loro pancioni di birra e mania di comportarsi come se fossero ammiragli di una flotta se ne stanno zitti sulle loro barche invece di criticare tutti. Probabilmente stanno sotto coperta sperando che piovi; così hanno una scusa per farsi un'altra tazza di tè.
Seriously guys, you must be talking about another Italy: here in Trieste (no mobos admittedly) all is decorous and polite. On a more serious note, I'm willing to bet that yobs is yobs whatever their nationality: I'm sure that if Britain had summers, you'd be just as appalled (more, I reckon), by British yobs screaming and f'ing and mucking about on jetskis. Try asking the natives of Ibiza what they think of the 'quiet' English. At least the Italians won't throw up outside your front door.
I've notices over the past few months that banter on the forum has become increasingly heavy-handed, increasingly 'us and them', and it's starting to leave a bit of an unpleasant taste. As a British national who has lived on the Continent off and on all my life, I see the good and bad points off all nationalities, and yes, it's fun to laugh at these. But leave out the sense of superiority, please.
As for the thievery... beneath contempt. My boat has been unlocked for 20 years, the small boats along the jetty on the seafront (public access) all have unlocked outboards, I have frequently left my car and moped unlocked (the moped more than once overnight with the key in the ignition). And never suffered any loss. Care to leave your possessions unlocked in Southampton or Newcastle... or wherever?

Last edited: