September 1st.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Yes the Italians bring with Fun, play, a beautiful language, they are delightful to have around you.
Only downside is, they take with them, everything not nailed down :)

Keep hold of the Guitar :)
What a crass posting. I've been moored in Italian marinas for over 30 years and never lost a single thing despite the boat not being locked if I am shortly away. Not only do I trust my Italian neighbours implicitly but some are close friends who would be deeply offended by such a comment - in fact I am offended on their behalf.

Shame on you.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

funny how things may evolve, a couple of weeks ago there was a similar thread where French sailors were positively identified as the worst thieves, now the latest news calls for Italians

any bets on Greeks coming next ? :D

Says the Northern man: people from the South smell bad because they live in a hot climate, they sweat and never wash themselves

Says the Southern man: people from the North smell bad because they live in a cold climate, they think they do not sweat so never wash themselves

Aren't they more similar than their geographical distance would suggest ?

:rolleyes:

Carmel2

Visit site
The OP is about Italians mouthing off at every given opportunity; not thieves, not Texans, not French, not going back to the UK if you don't like it etc etc. I find them fine in their own back yard, but when they travel en masse they are rude, loud and generally obnoxious. This is my observation after living in Corsica for over 10 years; nothing racist, just an observation.

Long live September 1st!

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
What a crass posting. I've been moored in Italian marinas for over 30 years and never lost a single thing despite the boat not being locked if I am shortly away. Not only do I trust my Italian neighbours implicitly but some are close friends who would be deeply offended by such a comment - in fact I am offended on their behalf.

Shame on you.

Well you are not in Greece and I am ,and its a commonly held belief at the end of the season, tie, nail, lock and chain anything, that can be taken back to Italy.
I can understand you having no problem in Italian marinas, they are all down here thieving:)

Last edited:

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
The OP is about Italians mouthing off at every given opportunity; not thieves, not Texans, not French, not going back to the UK if you don't like it etc etc. I find them fine in their own back yard, but when they travel en masse they are rude, loud and generally obnoxious. This is my observation after living in Corsica for over 10 years; nothing racist, just an observation.

Long live September 1st!

I was told about similar behaviour from groups of Italians in restaurants in Corfu. I was skeptical at first, then I witnessed it myself. Jebus, what a way to cause a ruckus when people are trying to have a pleasant meal!

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

Shame on you.

What a crass posting I have know lots of poseurs for over 30 years and have always believed them to buy expensive boats because they are interested in sailing. I am offended by your comments -in fact I am offended on these poseurs behalf.

Do you recognize your own words below

One of your earlier posts. Mr Barnacle
I don't think my subjective judgement is so very different from many here when I think that the poseurs who buy their big, expensive boats because their interest is not in the sea and sailing on it...

Last edited:
Visit site
One of your earlier posts. Mr Barnacle

What a crass posting I have know lots of poseurs for over 30 years and have always believed them to buy expensive boats because they are interested in sailing I am offended by your comments -in fact I am offended on their behalf.

Do you recognize your own words below

I don't think my subjective judgement is so very different from many here when I think that the poseurs who buy their big, expensive boats because their interest is not in the sea and sailing on it...

Bob,

I am in Trizonia and heading your way!

I helped a very pleasant Italian couple in here this evening. They have a delightful litle Papillion dog. My neighbour in Corfu, Salvattori (from Napoli) is a fine chap who we would trust implicitly and he, so us. However, we are all aware of the "Red and Green Mist" when it descends in August! Maybe it is true that those who travel the furthest and therefore exhibit a higher standard of seamanship are to be trusted more, like anywhere else in the world. We all suffer from a "Great Unwashed" element in our commumities.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Bob,

I am in Trizonia and heading your way!

I helped a very pleasant Italian couple in here this evening. They have a delightful little Papillon dog. My neighbour in Corfu, Salvatori (from Napoli) is a fine chap who we would trust implicitly and he, so us. However, we are all aware of the "Red and Green Mist" when it descends in August! Maybe it is true that those who travel the furthest and therefore exhibit a higher standard of seamanship are to be trusted more, like anywhere else in the world. We all suffer from a "Great Unwashed" element in our commumities.

Your right! there are even good scousers :)

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
As someone who has commented in previous years about somewhat "over-excitable" Italians in Croatia, and even compared stories with local yachties on occasions, I must agree that I have never heard any accusation that Italians are dishonest. That has not certainly not been my experience.

Richard

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
you in your little pelloponese enclave
Pejorative words those. Who rattled your cage then?

Before you start abusing me you female fun hole**! just check JB's history of postings. He is constantly putting the case FOR the locals and any other nationals and AGAINST the brits.

Hmm. Really? Interesting summary of my posts!

I dare say you hadn't considered the possiblity that the large majority of charterers and holiday folk, whatever nationality, behave differently from live aboards in many ways. All night partying, lack of skills and knowledge of their boat, lack of care about trivial damage. These differences drive owners who spend a whole season afloat round the bend.

It's lazy, even xenophobic, to blame nationalities. That ws my point. Which most readers seemed to understand.

Xenophobia: an irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries
If there's one thing I can't tolerate, it's intolerance
So, when irrational statements are made, I like to put the other point of view. Sorry if that offends you.

By the way, if you steer clear of the southern Pelloponese during the peak season, you'll be missing one of the relatively Italian free cruising areas of Greece!

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We have seen quite a lot of Italian boats throughout the Aegean this year. All seemed to be well crewed by competent people. None of the 50 ft boats carrying large families with no evident knowledge of sailing that we grew to love in the Ionian.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I think it's time we had a go at the Russians. Lots of them afloat and ashore down this way now. They're the only ones who know what a €500 note looks like! We've had a couple of Italians here too lately, they tend to manoeuvre their boats like Ferraris whilst the Russians manoeuvre theirs like tractors. "This is how we do things in Russia!"... :)