Seacock handle broke

Bouba

Visit site
It’s possible (I haven’ the wherefore all to test it)....that if the seacock is in the closed position, you can change it to 180 degrees and it might still function.....but, if the seacock is open then it will only go one way

Refueler

Visit site
Paul, there is no concept of "correctly fitted". In that picture, when closed the handle would be sticking out sideways to the right, because it can only go clockwise when the handle is mounted like that. So the handle has 2 positions = pointing up and pointing to the right

The handle can be repositioned 180degs from what is shown in that picture (no other choice is possible, only 180 degrees). If you do that, which means removing the handle and refitting it upside down, it would be pointing vertically down in 1st picture of post 26. Then, the handle has 2 positions, being pointing down and pointing to the left.

That's my point = these things are reversible to allow you to arrange valve handles in any way you want after you have installed the valves, which is especially useful in a busy installation. There is no concept of "correctly fitted"

But convention is that handle inline with pipe is open ... may not be a Rule - but its generally accepted.

Refueler

Visit site
I suspect that there is another handle available that has the fold to the right not the left

Usually the knuckles that provide the stop on the body for the handle are 180 deg from each other .. so in your photo here ... remove handle - place 180 so handle is pointing UP and then it opens and closes valve - but other direction. Its unusual for the 'ball' to have any stop - its why there's knuckles on the body.

Bouba

Visit site
Look everyone…let’s leave the argument of direction of the handle…and just leave it at, when the handle was one way it could not move…when I put it at 180 degrees it can now open and close
Case closed !

Bouba

Visit site
Latest news
Tomorrow the port will tow the boat to takeout and leave it in the slings overnight…so that I will have all the time in the world to do the job…and probably enough daylight hours to go to the chandler for emergency supplies. The port also gave me the number of a repairman just in case

MapisM

Visit site
The handle was against the stopper with the valve open..when I removed the handle and replaced it at 180 degrees...the handle was able to turn and close the valve.
The only logical reason why you think you couldn't close the valve because of the stopper is that, looking at your 2nd pic of post #24, you tried to rotate the handle CCW.
In fact, the stop the handle is against to in your pics does not restrict the handle movement at all if you rotate it correctly, i.e. CW.

And mounting the handle as it is in your pics or rotated by 180° round doesn't make the slightest difference, in this respect.
What jfm said is 100% correct, and if you've been able to close the valve only after disconnecting it and reinstalling it upside down, that can only be due to one of these two reasons:
1) you tried to rotate the handle CCW before, and CW afterwards. I can't think of any logical reason why you should do that, but... Hey-ho!
2) coincidence.

Refueler

Visit site
Latest news
Tomorrow the port will tow the boat to takeout and leave it in the slings overnight…so that I will have all the time in the world to do the job…and probably enough daylight hours to go to the chandler for emergency supplies. The port also gave me the number of a repairman just in case

Emergency supplies ? Close to the pub is it ?? ;)

MapisM

Visit site
when the handle was one way it could not move…when I put it at 180 degrees it can now open and close
Bouba, if that's what you experienced, I take your word for it.
But by saying that, you suggest something that (also for future reference to anyone reading this thread) doesn't make any sense, i.e. remove the handle and rotate it 180°, which doesn't change one iota.
See my previous post for the only 2 possible reasons behind your experience.

Refueler

Visit site
My engine seacock has similar valve .. its not the spindle that's broke - its the handle itself ...

Got a new one - but as usual - the spindle size is different ... spindle 6mm spanner moves it .. handle is 5mm !!

Boathook

Visit site
Latest news
Just ring the repairman. Sounds like the Port might have prewarned him !

Bouba

Visit site
Bouba, if that's what you experienced, I take your word for it.
But by saying that, you suggest something that (also for future reference to anyone reading this thread) doesn't make any sense, i.e. remove the handle and rotate it 180°, which doesn't change one iota.
See my previous post for the only 2 possible reasons behind your experience.
But I have to report the truth… if someone buys a new seacock from the chandler and no matter how hard they try it will not move…then remove the handle and replace it at 180 degrees.
That I think is a far more important practical advice than the (untested) theory that the handle is reversible.
It might just be this brand

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Latest news
With all due respect, given that you can't work out how to turn the handle (and still cannot grasp how it works) i would suggest getting the repairman in. Otherwise you run the risk of breaking something else, sinking the boat or not getting it sorted in time and having to pay the yard more money for chocking up and relaunching at a later date.

Bouba

Visit site
Ok…what would be really handy would be a pair of 70mm spanners…. I might go back to my workshop this afternoon and weld a couple up

PaulRainbow

Visit site
But I have to report the truth… if someone buys a new seacock from the chandler and no matter how hard they try it will not move…then remove the handle and replace it at 180 degrees.
That I think is a far more important practical advice than the (untested) theory that the handle is reversible.
It might just be this brand
I find it difficult to believe you cannot grasp how the handle works

Other threads that may be of interest