Seacock handle broke

jfm

Visit site
Bouba what you write seems insane.
The handle wasn't on back to front - there is no correct orientation- they are designed to be mountable either way which is obvious if you think laterally. These valves are often stiff when new, at 2 inch sizes and above, and you weren't applying enough torque.
Just lift the boat for 24 hours and do a proper job. It's a boat. Change everything including the thru-hull+nipple+elbow, both sides, and those manky (non fire rated, urgh!) hoses.

Bouba

Visit site
Bouba what you write seems insane.
The handle wasn't on back to front - there is no correct orientation- they are designed to be mountable either way which is obvious if you think laterally. These valves are often stiff when new, at 2 inch sizes and above, and you weren't applying enough torque.
Just lift the boat for 24 hours and do a proper job. It's a boat. Change everything including the thru-hull+nipple+elbow, both sides, and those manky (non fire rated, urgh!) hoses.
The handle was against the stopper with the valve open..when I removed the handle and replaced it at 180 degrees...the handle was able to turn and close the valve.

iantomlinson

Visit site
i notice youre in sof. mum and dads boat is in sof(agde). they could get lifted at lunchtime while we jetwashed the hull for about 50 euros. dunno if you could do it.

Bouba

Visit site
The handle was against the stopper with the valve open..when I removed the handle and replaced it at 180 degrees...the handle was able to turn and close the valve.
I only just put the boat in the water...if it was half way through the season I probably would take it out and clean the hull and check the anodes while I was at it...I have already replaced the generator thru hull and seacock with TrueDesign and would prefer to do this as well...but you can’t buy them off the shelf, they have to be ordered. So the boat would be out of action for a week by the time I’ve finished. I’m hoping that this will end up the quickest cheapest method but still be properly done

Bouba

Visit site
i notice youre in sof. mum and dads boat is in sof(agde). they could get lifted at lunchtime while we jetwashed the hull for about 50 euros. dunno if you could do it.
I don’t know what they charge just to keep it in the slings...plus they will have to tow me there because the the seacock is stuck in the closed position

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Your pictures in post #26 show that the handle was correctly fitted, now it isn't.

Look at the first picture in post #26, the valve is open and the handle is vertical, which is correct. push the handle so the spindle rotates clockwise 90 degrees and it's closed.

iantomlinson

Visit site
if its stuck closed then only options could be dinghy tied alongside, friends alongside or go the whole hog. were on a budget also but you seem to be running out of options. tru design skin fitting, valve and 291. sometimes you just gotta be safe.

Other threads that may be of interest