Seacock handle broke

KevinV

Visit site
Would turning the large nut anti clockwise open the seacock or lead to disaster?
It's just a gland nut, worth a try easing it off - it'll certainly reduce friction on the shaft, or the shaft might well rotate with it. That would help get the valve open, but you'll still have to replace it at some point.

Bouba

Visit site
As far as I know the valve is stuck at nearly closed or completely closed. I won’t try to open it unless the port can’t tow me for whatever reason.
I will try to do the work in the sling….unfortunately my entire history of messing about in boats is that any little job takes way longer to do that what you plan for

benjenbav

Visit site
I can’t see whether the valve unit can be replaced independently of the skin fitting.

If it can then block the latter from the outside and replace the former.

Otherwise, get lifted out and replace the whole unit. It’s only money. Not worth worrying about.

If the valve is not, as assumed, closed but - in fact - open and the integrity of the unit has not otherwise been compromised, then the choices are similar but there’s more time to get around to dealing with the issue.

Bouba

Visit site
Ok…here is my replacement side by side…not an exact copy but the only one available in my vicinity…hopefully the thread sizes and diameters are the same…cost €220 😩
But someone please tell me…how do I close the new seacock ?…is there some kind of trick because it’s new?

penberth3

Visit site
Ok…here is my replacement side by side…not an exact copy but the only one available in my vicinity…hopefully the thread sizes and diameters are the same…cost €220 😩
But someone please tell me…how do I close the new seacock ?…is there some kind of trick because it’s new?

Turn the handle 90 degrees to close it. What's the problem? Or am I missing something?

penberth3

Visit site
Here's a daft thought .....

I would look at whether its possible to drill the broken spindle enough to get a stud remover screwed in ... then use that to turn the valve ? If valve is closed and needs opening ??

If it's so tight the valve spindle has sheared, I can't imagine a stud extractor would help.

KevinV

Visit site
This is my new seacock…will someone please tell me how to close the valve ?
Are you Donald Trump, or is that valve huge?!

It'll be stiff being new - again easing the gland nut may help. I'd be inclined to take it out completely, put a dab of silicone grease in there and reassemble - I've had them delivered almost dry. It'll also be easier to move when it's fixed to the through hull rather than loose in your hands.

Bouba

Visit site
Ok boys…can we save the forensics until after the job is finished…right now I need everyone’s brain power to be focused on the job at hand…which is how do I move the handle on the new seacock?

iantomlinson

Visit site
a tiny bit of wd40 but it should close by hand force.if it doesnt close by forcefull hands then sod it off. we have changed ours in desperate situation by "floating" a crappy sheet down under and back over the fitting so that when we take the hose off, it blocks the intake. were getting to the stage of 'not worth the risk syndrome kidda'. if your not 100% sure that the new valve is not the right size then time to spend. at 220 euros you could replace the skin fitting and valve with trudesign for less. that price isnt far off getting a blakes which will give you close to the same angle.

Other threads that may be of interest