Seacock handle broke

jfm

Visit site
Your pictures in post #26 show that the handle was correctly fitted, now it isn't.

Look at the first picture in post #26, the valve is open and the handle is vertical, which is correct. push the handle so the spindle rotates clockwise 90 degrees and it's closed.
Paul, there is no concept of "correctly fitted". In that picture, when closed the handle would be sticking out sideways to the right, because it can only go clockwise when the handle is mounted like that. So the handle has 2 positions = pointing up and pointing to the right

The handle can be repositioned 180degs from what is shown in that picture (no other choice is possible, only 180 degrees). If you do that, which means removing the handle and refitting it upside down, it would be pointing vertically down in 1st picture of post 26. Then, the handle has 2 positions, being pointing down and pointing to the left.

That's my point = these things are reversible to allow you to arrange valve handles in any way you want after you have installed the valves, which is especially useful in a busy installation. There is no concept of "correctly fitted"

Bouba

Visit site
Paul, there is no concept of "correctly fitted". In that picture, when closed the handle would be sticking out sideways to the right, because it can only go clockwise when the handle is mounted like that. So the handle has 2 positions = pointing up and pointing to the right

The handle can be repositioned 180degs from what is shown in that picture (no other choice is possible, only 180 degrees). If you do that, which means removing the handle and refitting it upside down, it would be pointing vertically down in 1st picture of post 26. Then, the handle has 2 positions, being pointing down and pointing to the left.

That's my point = these things are reversible to allow you to arrange valve handles in any way you want after you have installed the valves, which is especially useful in a busy installation. There is no concept of "correctly fitted"
I disagree (slightly) there is a correct orientation, I’ve proved it was impossible to turn when orientated the other way.... I think that if you want to reverse the handle then you have to use different handle to allow it to move towards the back stop

Bouba

Visit site
I suspect that there is another handle available that has the fold to the right not the left

Portofino

Visit site
If it was bonded to a external zinc I doubt it would have ever got sufficiently stiff ( corrosion of the brass eventually) to fracture .

Periodic exercising helps to keep them free .I tend to give them a quick 10 cycles a couple of times a week when on the boat . Agree with JFM you need proper black hoses as well .

Also @ lift out …you have just had one for the props AF , I close them .First to keep the systems primed esp the geny , You know rubber impellers and air locks and such like , second to mentally decided , call the shot if they need replacement…..add to the yard work .

The ones called out for replacement I tend to get the yard to do them …..because they have experience and have all the tools and the sizing is there problem .It s there day job .

Bouba

Visit site
If it was bonded to a external zinc I doubt it would have ever got sufficiently stiff ( corrosion of the brass eventually) to fracture .

Periodic exercising helps to keep them free .I tend to give them a quick 10 cycles a couple of times a week when on the boat . Agree with JFM you need proper black hoses as well .

Also @ lift out …you have just had one for the props AF , I close them .First to keep the systems primed esp the geny , You know rubber impellers and air locks and such like , second to mentally decided , call the shot if they need replacement…..add to the yard work .

The ones called out for replacement I tend to get the yard to do them …..because they have experience and have all the tools and the sizing is there problem .It s there day job .
I was wondering why they are not electrically bonded...but that is how the factory does it. I know I should have taken better care of them by exercising them more...I would prefer to give the job to someone else...but I think it would take a while to find someone and then impossible to coordinate that with the boat lift...it will be quicker to do it myself...we were planning on spending time on the boat this weekend

jfm

Visit site
I disagree (slightly) there is a correct orientation, I’ve proved it was impossible to turn when orientated the other way.... I think that if you want to reverse the handle then you have to use different handle to allow it to move towards the back stop
I'm afraid you're mistaken Bouba. You haven't proved that, you've just misunderstood the mechanics. My post #64 is correct. But I'm happy to A2D.

Bouba

Visit site
After a McDonald's breakfast !
I was supposed to go to a bbq at the neighbors this evening...but I was so knackered after all this (I’d been working on the boat all afternoon and was just checking the seacock before putting the boat to bed !)...so I told the wife that she has to go alone because I am going to have dinner at McDonalds and relax...I would not have been good company

Other threads that may be of interest