Seacock handle broke

PaulRainbow

Visit site
That might be correct....but it cost nothing but sweat to find out🤷‍♂️
Not true. Everyone here who has ever fitted a seacock knows that won't undo it.

You also consistently refuse to listen to warnings about putting a spanner on the through hull nut. Doing that is stupid, holding the nut does not stop the through hull from turning, it only stops the nut from turning ?

Knock a tapered wooden bung into the through hull from the outside and cut the flange off with a hole saw. Then unscrew what's left from the inside. Fit a new through hull, seacock and hosetail. Takes less than an hour, you know everything fits together, you know it's sealed and you know you won't have to be chocked up, costing more money and losing boating time.

I fully expect that you will ignore this advise, as you have done with everyone elses advice and turn this into one of your never ending sagas.

Refueler

Visit site

You also consistently refuse to listen to warnings about putting a spanner on the through hull nut. Doing that is stupid, holding the nut does not stop the through hull from turning, it only stops the nut from turning ?

Knock a tapered wooden bung into the through hull from the outside and cut the flange off with a hole saw. Then unscrew what's left from the inside. Fit a new through hull, seacock and hosetail. Takes less than an hour, you know everything fits together, you know it's sealed and you know you won't have to be chocked up, costing more money and losing boating time.

I fully expect that you will ignore this advise, as you have done with everyone elses advice and turn this into one of your never ending sagas.

I'd be even simpler .... take a grinder and carefully grind the outer flange off - in so doing also taking away all sealant and roughness that may be left ..

Bouba

Visit site

When i learned how to weld that was called "bird shit" ;)
Paul, write something constructive.......there, that should keep him busy until I’ve finished

jakew009

Visit site
@Bouba i think the part that you are missing is that unscrewing the valve off the skin fitting is going to be nigh on impossible. It will be absolutely stuck fast.

It’s even more patently absurd when you are going to try and do it without putting a locking spanner in the outside of the through hull to stop it from turning.

I just replaced all the through hulls in my Jenneau, and after a few hours of pissing about with spanners I just took a multi tool to it and sliced the valve in half. Took about 2 minutes.
I couldn’t easily cut it off from outside because it had one of those stupid strainer things on it.

Then stick a new tru design through hull in, sikaflex it up, put a tru design valve on top and back in the water.

You could do the hole thing in less than an hour.

What JFM is saying is that the hose between the engine and the thru hull is awful and will be like a bit of rigid pipe. It’s far easier to replace it with some fire rated exhaust hose then mess around with the original crap.

The fire rates bit comes from if you ever have a fire in your engine room, the current stuff will melt in about 3 seconds. Your boat will then start sinking even if the fire extinguisher manages to put the fire out.

Attachments

• 8BC400B4-77CF-4180-9E16-AF7269FA53B5.jpeg
    8BC400B4-77CF-4180-9E16-AF7269FA53B5.jpeg
    616.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 22CBCDFE-48DD-49E9-A7D7-50C2BF511F7A.jpeg
    22CBCDFE-48DD-49E9-A7D7-50C2BF511F7A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 4C0797AD-3EC2-4220-B710-905B8FBC938B.jpeg
    4C0797AD-3EC2-4220-B710-905B8FBC938B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

Bouba

Visit site
@Bouba i think the part that you are missing is that unscrewing the valve off the skin fitting is going to be nigh on impossible. It will be absolutely stuck fast.

It’s even more patently absurd when you are going to try and do it without putting a locking spanner in the outside of the through hull to stop it from turning.

I just replaced all the through hulls in my Jenneau, and after a few hours of pissing about with spanners I just took a multi tool to it and sliced the valve in half. Took about 2 minutes.
I couldn’t easily cut it off from outside because it had one of those stupid strainer things on it.

Then stick a new tru design through hull in, sikaflex it up, put a tru design valve on top and back in the water.

You could do the hole thing in less than an hour.

What JFM is saying is that the hose between the engine and the thru hull is awful and will be like a bit of rigid pipe. It’s far easier to replace it with some fire rated exhaust hose then mess around with the original crap.

The fire rates bit comes from if you ever have a fire in your engine room, the current stuff will melt in about 3 seconds. Your boat will then start sinking even if the fire extinguisher manages to put the fire out.
I have told everyone, a dozen times so far....that if I can’t get the seacock off without damaging the thru hull, I will replace the thru hull.

billskip

Visit site
Not following.....please elaborate
Many years back we could get repair kits for the ball valve (Italian make ss) the kit was Teflon ball seals,Teflon gland seal, shaft and ball.....basically all the guts without the body...I can't remember now dismantle them if the ball had to be removed to let the shaft out ...or the shaft removed via the gland seal and the ball removed....if the shaft is removable via the gland seal then a suitable sized drill bit shaft could be used as a temporary seal until a replacement shaft is located.(if available)

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I would get the tru design thru hull ordered up now 😀
Had my boat on the hard a few weeks ago for anti foul etc. One of the jobs was to replace one of the 1" heads seacocks with a 1 1/2" seacock. I went for one of these : Forespar Marelon Seacock Valve (Through Hull / 1-1/2" Hose)

Used a hole saw, as i mentioned in '181, cleaned and sanded the surfaces, fitted the new assembly and was all done in less than an hour. Next time we come out i'll replace the others, was short of time this year.

Refueler

Visit site
My SR25 ... being a 1970's build and based on a Poole Hbr workboat .. they created the Searider 24 and Sunrider 25 on that hull ...

I fitted a speed log ... The GRP of that hull is solid ... I went through 3 hole cutters to make the hole ! I was shocked at the hardness and how it just killed those hole cutters ... they were not cheapo local DIY shop cutters either.

Bouba

Visit site
Had my boat on the hard a few weeks ago for anti foul etc. One of the jobs was to replace one of the 1" heads seacocks with a 1 1/2" seacock. I went for one of these : Forespar Marelon Seacock Valve (Through Hull / 1-1/2" Hose)

Used a hole saw, as i mentioned in '181, cleaned and sanded the surfaces, fitted the new assembly and was all done in less than an hour. Next time we come out i'll replace the others, was short of time this year.
You went to sea with old thru hulls 🤷‍♂️😱.....how have you survived

Bouba

Visit site
My SR25 ... being a 1970's build and based on a Poole Hbr workboat .. they created the Searider 24 and Sunrider 25 on that hull ...

I fitted a speed log ... The GRP of that hull is solid ... I went through 3 hole cutters to make the hole ! I was shocked at the hardness and how it just killed those hole cutters ... they were not cheapo local DIY shop cutters either.
The Beneteau hulls are a little softer

jfm

Visit site
I really cannot see your point....
Yup I realise that. You are getting good advice here but ignoring it.

To be told that hoses, full of water, are a fire risk is just plain nonsense.
Your misunderstanding on this fire point is shocking. Jake has kindly explained in #187 but the fact you can't see it is a shocker (for the passengers in your boat, mostly).

Anyways good luck with the job today.

Other threads that may be of interest