sea sickness whats best

wooslehunter

Visit site
Avomine works for me. If the weather's expected to be a bit heavy, one the night before & one in the morning is recommended - read the instructions though. They do make me feel sleepy though.

Problem is people need to fine th ebest solution by trial and error. What works for one person won't work for everyone.

jimmynoboat

Visit site
As a sufferer I've tried drugs, patches and bands. And been seasick none-the-less.
My latest theory is;

- Diet. Don't put up with food you wouldn't normally go for. Make sure you have what you like and not too much of it but don't go hungry. Keep hydrated but avoid coffee and tea - sip water.

- Booze. Just avoid it completely at least 24 hours before sailing. I've been on a trip where nearly the entire crew fell sick and no-one thought it had anything to do with the 10 pints the night before!

- Attitude. If you are worried about the conditions or any aspect of the trip you can be more susceptible to sickness. So, preparation and planning are important too and a good skipper will want their crew to be fully informed. Pack Scopoderm or ginger capsules or whatever you think helps but don't start to worry about sea-sickness. Some sailors don't like to discuss sea-sickness for good reasons - respect this.

- Clothing. Don't get cold or wet. It's best to start with many layers and take them off if too warm than to put them on if too cold.

- Activity. Keep busy, stay interested in what's going on but try not to find jobs which involve concentrating on close objects (chart-work).

- Below decks. I have a bit of a phobia about going below because it is likely to make me sick. I fight it though by making short, planned trips below I.e. if I need to fetch something I first think about where it is, then plan the route in my head then do it. If I don't find it where I expect I come back up and think about where else it may be before trying again.

stephenmartin

Visit site
Been out in some real hooley's and been absolutely terrified....fear is a goood cure for sea-sickness...failing that let them take the helm....looking out on the horizon seems to do the trick

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Stugeron works well.. I suffer from land sickness more but swmbo suffers sea sickness. Quite good really, at least one of us is always fine! Good cure for land sickness is having a few pints.

Seagreen

Visit site
Yes echoing what's been said. Once you are a bit queasy, up on deck, sit down, strap on and stare at horizon, trying to feel the motion of the boat. This is quite important as motion sickness is caused by the inner ear not agreeing with what the eyes are telling you. If your eyes tell your brain that you are moving, both ends of the problem join up, as it were. Diet, still water and crackers, you must have something to come back up again..

Don't fighter pilots have a way of curing this in training? Someone here must know what it is?

Strathglass

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Stugeron works well.. swmbo suffers sea sickness. Quite good really,.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with that. SWMBO takes two about a couple of hours before going out when the weather is rough. It seems to settle her.

They certainly work for her.

Iain

Alastairdent

Visit site
Wrist acupuncture bands seem to keep off sea sickness from gentle rolling in swells.

Ginger works for when it is rougher - nibble crystalized ginger constantly.

clouty

janeclout.com
All the people I know with totally cast iron stomachs went to sea before birth - not something that can be arranged later in life!

riding the motion of the boat, keeping yourself in the same plane in relation to gravity, not to the boat, keeps you fit and seems to help.

otherwise, good advice is given above.

Dave99

Visit site
I have suffered and have tried the patches which made me more ill! Some people say its psychological - I can assure anyone who doesn't suffer that it's not. I take stugeron if its going to be rough - usually 2 before bed and then regularly throughout the storm! Some people say the bands work but have never tried them, patches work for some people but clearly not me! One last tip - after a heavy night at a party 2 stugeron and 2 paracetamol!

CLP

Visit site
As JimmyNoBoat says, a simple diet helps a lot. Keep hydrated. Try drinking hot water instead of tea or coffee or fizzy drinks etc. Hot water has proved a winner on many of my trips with all kinds of crew. Everyone is sceptical at first but it does seem to help.

nct1

Visit site
Best thing for sea sickness, now let me see.

Try a small boat in a force seven or above, though why you would want to beats me ! ;-)