Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Novice Cruise - Spring 2012

ianat182

Visit site
Just a word of warning; when crossing Christchurch Bay and in the vicinity of Hengistbury Head there are many long-line and pots in the area with very small buoys marking them, well out into the bay, even close to racing marks(yellow buoys), and over the shallower waters here when approaching from the North Head mark.
Also be aware of the ferry at the Poole entrance which has right of way here.
Unless you have more than deep pockets I would not recommend the Salterns Marina on your right hand side at £43 for a 25 ft overnighter 2 years ago( think Sandbanks !!)

ianat182

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Poole Entrance Tides

The big ebb runs from 3 to 0.5 hr before LW at the entrance
The big flood runs from 0.5 to 3.5 hrs after LW at the entrance.

The small ebb runs from 4.5 to 5.5 hrs after LW
The small flood runs from 4.5 to 3.5 hrs before LW
The smaller ebb and flood are about half the rate of the big ones so not such a problem.

Slack slots are:
5 and 3 hrs before LW,
at LW, and
4 hrs after LW.

Note: Times are for Poole entrance
(UKHO admiralty free tides give times for Poole entrance).
Most publications refer to Poole Quay or Bridge where LW is 0.5 hr later than the entrance.

PhillM

Visit site
The big ebb runs from 3 to 0.5 hr before LW at the entrance
The big flood runs from 0.5 to 3.5 hrs after LW at the entrance.

The small ebb runs from 4.5 to 5.5 hrs after LW
The small flood runs from 4.5 to 3.5 hrs before LW
The smaller ebb and flood are about half the rate of the big ones so not such a problem.

Slack slots are:
5 and 3 hrs before LW,
at LW, and
4 hrs after LW.

Note: Times are for Poole entrance
(UKHO admiralty free tides give times for Poole entrance).
Most publications refer to Poole Quay or Bridge where LW is 0.5 hr later than the entrance.

Thank you that it REALLY helpful.

PhillM

Visit site
Looking at the Almanac, it appears that the weekend of 4th/5th/6th May would meet the requirements. All times in UTC.

Friday May 4th – Portsmouth
0240 1.0
0922 4.5
1501 0.8
So should facilitate a good morning sail to Yarmouth for people comming from the East.

Saturday May 5th – Portsmouth
0329 0.7
1015 4.7
1550 0.6
So if we leave 0915 UTC (10.15 BST) we should catch the stream going west. We should aim to arrive Poole just after LW, which is at 1535 0.5.

Sunday May 6th
Poole LW is at 0403 0.4 so looking at the tidal estimate in the Almanac it looks like the tide will be on the ebb from 10.00 onwards.

Portsmouth –
1106 4.8
1638 0.5
So using HW +5 we can get back into the Solent from 1606 onwards.

Depending on the weather we could then go back into Yarmouth or use the stream to get down as far as Cowes before sunset at 1952. I guess the decision as where each person wants to stop will be up to each skipper and depend on how tired they and their crew are.

Monday 7th May - for those who dont want to carry on East from Yarmouth until Monday (and that most likly would include us)

Portsmouth
0505 0.4
1159 4.9
1726 0.5
So there could be an early morning sail back eastwards.

My wife has also suggested that on the way back we could use Lyimington instead of Yarmnouth, so that if the weather breaks, we could at least get the train home and get to work for a few days, then return to pick up the boat when it improves. We dont want to get into a position where we are under pressure to get home for work and end up sailing in marginal weather.

As I say, I am VERY new to this sort of planning and would appreciate feedback, corrections and of course better suggestions!

OK so I have been sorting out holidays etc and the above works for me and the family. Of course its subject to weather and confirmation closer to the time.

Can we please take a roll call of who is in (in principle). Russell has been talking to the marinas, and there is nothing big planned in either that weekend.

If you are happy with the dates, please add your name below and PM me with your email address.

Thanks,
Phill

prv

Visit site
If you are happy with the dates, please add your name below and PM me with your email address.

I'm in!

My leave year is synced to the tax year, so I'll probably be hoarding the days by that point and may not take both the Friday and Monday off. But I can reach Yarmouth late on Friday or return to Southampton late on Sunday, depending on which the tide serves best.

EDIT: Just noticed the Monday is a bank holiday. Will probably be able to do all four days in that case - hurrah!

Pete

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Is the plan to have some kind of meetup in Yarmouth as well as Poole? If I'm merely pre-positioning to catch a tide through the Needles, I tend to just tuck in behind Hurst Spit for the night, being free, without the hassle of mooring up, and quicker to get away. But I might be tempted in to the bright lights if there's beer involved :D

Pete

Ru88ell

Visit site
Pete
I don't see why you couldn't do that, but as a Novice weekend we wanted to cater for those who may have nervous crew on board. A quiet night alongside can make all the difference. Same goes for Poole - some will aim for the marina for the same reason.

It may be that we have some who would like to be shown 'how to anchor just inside Hurst for the night', in which case you can be in charge. ;)

Russell

prv

Visit site
I don't see why you couldn't do that, but as a Novice weekend we wanted to cater for those who may have nervous crew on board. A quiet night alongside can make all the difference. Same goes for Poole - some will aim for the marina for the same reason.

It may be that we have some who would like to be shown 'how to anchor just inside Hurst for the night', in which case you can be in charge. ;)

This is a social event, so getting everybody in one place is more important than what any particular eccentric would normally do on his own :)

I do still like the idea of anchoring somewhere secluded as a group - that's exactly the kind of thing small boats are great for. Perhaps if we have a fair wind and get into Poole harbour with lots of time in the afternoon? But I'm not suggesting we spend the night at anchor - how am I to go to the pub with Colhel if we do that? :D

Pete

PhillM

Visit site
Just to throw another thought into the mix for you, when you suggested the above dates did you know that Mon 7 May is a Bank Holiday? so if you are going to use a marina, book well in advance. ;)

Agreed. Russell has checked out Yarmouth and Poole and providing we book early,we should be fine. I am hoping that we get this settled before Christmas and then get provisional booking in early Jan.

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
OK, I'm definitely up for this, will book the time off next week (6 months is USUALLY enough notice for my employers!). I confess to liking the anchoring idea, but will go with whatever everyone else wants. I may have to beach the auld tub for a scrub just before, so's I can keep up!

PhillM

Visit site
Hi all, just getting my diary sorted for 2012.

The plan is (weather depending) to:

Meet Yarmouth evening Friday 4th May 2012
Sail for Poole AM Saturday 5th May
Sail back to either Yarmouth or Lymington AM Sunday 6th May
Depart for home Monday 7th May

This being the Bank Holiday weekend, we will need to book early.

I have PM'd Russell as he talked to Yarmouth and Poole marinas to find out if we are group booking or making our ouwn arrangements. Russell can you please comment here, when you have the answer?

Last edited: