Ru88ell

Visit site
UPDATED 10/11/11 - The dates for this weekend has been set as:-

Meet Yarmouth Friday 4th May 2011
Sail for Poole AM Saturday 5th May

=============================

Following on from this post:-

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290454

PhillM and I thought it would be a good idea to put on a cruise from the West Solent area to Poole and back, aimed specifically at novices in small sailing boats, say up to 26' o/a. Think of it as a less daunting version of the Cherbourg cruise.

Obviously this needs to be discussed in more detail; 2 or 3 days, max/min numbers, destination, minimum experience? It would be good to have some of you more experienced chaps and chapesses along for advice, etc.

Looking at the Almanac, it appears that the weekend of 4th/5th/6th May would meet the requirements. All times in UTC.

Friday May 4th – Portsmouth
0240 1.0
0922 4.5
1501 0.8
So should facilitate a good morning sail to Yarmouth for people comming from the East.

Saturday May 5th – Portsmouth
0329 0.7
1015 4.7
1550 0.6
So if we leave 0915 UTC (10.15 BST) we should catch the stream going west. We should aim to arrive Poole just after LW, which is at 1535 0.5.

Sunday May 6th
Poole LW is at 0403 0.4 so looking at the tidal estimate in the Almanac it looks like the tide will be on the ebb from 10.00 onwards.

Portsmouth –
1106 4.8
1638 0.5
So using HW +5 we can get back into the Solent from 1606 onwards.

Depending on the weather we could then go back into Yarmouth or use the stream to get down as far as Cowes before sunset at 1952. I guess the decision as where each person wants to stop will be up to each skipper and depend on how tired they and their crew are.

Monday 7th May - for those who dont want to carry on East from Yarmouth until Monday (and that most likly would include us)

Portsmouth
0505 0.4
1159 4.9
1726 0.5
So there could be an early morning sail back eastwards.

Please leave a post if you would like your name added to the list.

Ru88ell - paid
PhillM - paid
prv - paid
Seajet - paid - Pulled out.
Giblets - paid
Laundryman - paid
Kylema 2 - paid
AuldSot - paid
colhel - not stopping at Yarmouth
Lustyd - paid
Paul_G - paid
Solentboat - paid - Pulled out, so we have a vacancy.
ib1 - paid
Chrissie - paid
Simondjuk - paid
BarryH - paid - Pulled out, so we have another vacancy. (Boat untested)
Gallan947 - paid - Pulled out, so we have another vacancy. (Boat untested)

The list is now closed. If you would like to come please note that we are starting a waiting list on a first come, first served basis.

Last edited:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Just starting to plan next year's fixture list for the sailing club and I note that there is an extra Bank Holiday for Betty's Diamond Jubilee. So 2nd to 5th June is an extra long weekend.

prv

Visit site
I might be interested, purely in the social aspects. Sailed over to Poole for the first time last year; didn't realise it was meant to be a big deal :p

(24 foot)

Pete

Ru88ell

Visit site
..didn't realise it was meant to be a big deal :p

It probably isn't, but two of us were thinking about doing it individually, but thought we make a social weekend of it. There will be people who've never been on 'the big sea' before, so hopefully this will flush them out. :)

fireball

Visit site
Sailed over to Poole for the first time last year; didn't realise it was meant to be a big deal :p
It isn't a big deal - really - but if you've only sailed in Lake Solent and have crew who aren't sure, then sailing over in company will help ...

Great idea - but I don't think my vessel will qualify ... perhaps I can come over in the dinghy! ...

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
Yes, as a novice (trust me on this!) I'd be up for that. Thought about doing summat similar this year, but domestic events prevented it........although my lack of forward planning ability may possibly have something to do with that, I'm no organiser, sadly. As long as the emphasis is on novice rather than boat size (we're hoping to trade up from 26' to a 32 ish footer soon) it sounds ideal for me.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
That is a fabulous idea, you should be encouraged to do this, there are, I'm sure lots of people who want to do their first 'long' cruise and what you propose is ideal.

PhillM

Visit site
It isn't a big deal - really - but if you've only sailed in Lake Solent and have crew who aren't sure, then sailing over in company will help ...

Great idea - but I don't think my vessel will qualify ... perhaps I can come over in the dinghy! ...

Fireball, don’t let the size of your vessel deter you form joining. Size really isn’t an issue. And if you’re so much faster than the rest of use you can be always greet us slow-coaches on the pontoon with the larger’s! :D

fireball

Visit site
Fireball, don’t let the size of your vessel deter you form joining. Size really isn’t an issue. And if you’re so much faster than the rest of use you can be always greet us slow-coaches on the pontoon with the larger’s! :D

The dinghy would be faster than most boats for sure ... bung the kite up and we can do 15 knots happily .... nowhere to put the largers though ... :p

graham

Visit site
Any dates pencilled in yet? I could be up for cewing if the dates suited and someone wanted a crew.

PhillM

Visit site
Nothing lined up yet date-wise. I need to buy next year's almanic so I can have a good look at tides (unless sombody knows how to get predictions for next year without one).

From my point of view, I would like to avoid Bank holidays as we only sail with part of the family on board, and leaving home for a whole Bank holiday could render me a "live-aboard" instead of happily married home dweller!

We are based in Swanwick and I was hoping to find a weekend where the tide is OK to get to Yarmouth on Friday afternoon or early evening, then sail to Poole on Saturday then with on Sunday from Poole to home berth. Not sure how realistic that is.

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
You're in Swanick? Excellent, just 1/2 mile upriver. I can fall in line astern as you go by. Seriously, I'm up for this, just need about 8 weeks notice to request the time off.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Nice to see some traction on this. I'll work with PhillM to find a date as soon as we can get some predictions.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
HW Portsmouth (BST):
Sat. 19/5/12 11:18
Sat. 26/5/12 15:35
Sat. 2/6/12 09:56
Sat. 9/6/12 16:05
Sat. 16/6/12 10:03
Sat. 23/6/12 14:38
Sat. 30/6/12 08:28
According to my free tables from Quay Lane Boatyard!

Sailfree

Visit site
We are members of Parkstone YC so if dates work for us we would like to join you on our 16' Wayfarer after the Saturday race if someone could let us squat for a few hours on their boat - will briing a few bottles!!.

fireball

Visit site
Wayfarer's can carry more than just "a few bottles" - so if anyone wants their wine order from the wine merchants ferried out - just get them to deliver to Roger's boat ...
Ok - it may slow his race down a little ... but he won't remember much about it having drunk his commission on delivery ! ;)

Sailfree

Visit site
Wayfarer's can carry more than just "a few bottles" - so if anyone wants their wine order from the wine merchants ferried out - just get them to deliver to Roger's boat ...
Ok - it may slow his race down a little ... but he won't remember much about it having drunk his commission on delivery ! ;)

Make my excuses now!! We have one of the new Hartley racing Mk4s so no front or rear buoyancy tanks for extra stores!! Buoyance is now between the hull and inner moulding.