Screwfix OB1 sealant / adhesive

penberth3

Visit site
It's a hybrid polymer. The CT1 MSDS sheet says Contains N-(3-(trimethoxysilyl)propyl)ethylenediamine, dioctyltinbis(acetylacetonate), N-[3-(dimethoxymethylsilyl)propyl]ethylenediamine.

OB1 MSDS says Contains N-[3-(dimethoxymethylsilyl)propyl]ethylenediamine, N-(3-(trimethoxysilyl)propyl)ethylenediamine, dioctyltinbis(acetylacetonate)

DOW Corning clear silicone MSDS sheet says: Triacetoxy(ethyl)silane, Methyltriacetoxysilane

The coloured and clear versions differ: I have not checked them all.

All contain at least some Si but to my untutored eye the hybrids look more complex.

So the alphabet soup tells us CT1 = OB1?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Not exactly the same but certainly similar.

Yes, seems to agree with Samyl's #9 post where he said it was an improved version of the CT1 formulation. I suspect that the additional component enhances cross-linking to either speed up setting time or strength of the material, probably both. Not my area of expertise, that was mostly related to water soluble organic molecules but I'd guess it promotes formation of urethane links.

I'm considering OB1 as neither Screwfix nor Toolstation sell CT1 and both shops are conveniently located a short drive from my home. I can't see it being worse than CT1 and probably better for my purposes. Still odd that it is difficult to find details of the manufacturer online. I think that must be for some legal reason and won't affect my decision to buy it.

V1701

Visit site
I don't like the clear CT1 either, it's too thick and a bit lumpy, have used grey and white which have both been fine and do what they're supposed to well. I will try OB1 next time...

sarabande

Visit site
CTec have confirmed by email that CT1 is made in the UK, so it looks as if the OP is wrong about Latvia.

"

Nicola Walsh - C-Tec HQ <nicolawalsh@ct1.com>
10:40 (12 hours ago)
to me
Our product is made in UK

Sent: 11 March 2020 16:52
To: Nicola Walsh - C-Tec HQ <nicolawalsh@ct1.com>
Subject: FW: New - EN - Technical Enquiry Form

Cantata

Visit site
I was going to use some Tek Dek on fiberglass in my cockpit with Sika Sikaflex EBT+ All-Weather Sealant Black 300ml
would it be better or equally as good as this OB1 ?
I've used Sika EBT (also from Screwfix, £6-something) recently, has the same appearance, consistency and smell as Sikaflex - any opinions on EBT? All the blurb on the container makes it sound good.

pandos

Visit site
This statement that you have made publicly is malicious, slanderous, without foundation and completely untrue. Unless you retract this immediately, we will be taking legal action against you in the High Court Belfast, where you will be affixed with all costs. We advise to give you this your most urgent attention.
That's a strong statement , can the pleadings be posted here so we can keep abreast of the litigation?

Hacker

Visit site
I've used Sika EBT (also from Screwfix, £6-something) recently, has the same appearance, consistency and smell as Sikaflex - any opinions on EBT? All the blurb on the container makes it sound good.
We use EBT as bedding compound for fitting hogs and garboards plus plank top stem/transforms. It’s good and much cheaper!

SAMYL

Visit site
CTEC_NI_Limited said:
This statement that you have made publicly is malicious, slanderous, without foundation and completely untrue. Unless you retract this immediately, we will be taking legal action against you in the High Court Belfast, where you will be affixed with all costs. We advise to give you this your most urgent attention.

Before you waste all your money threatening and chasing after me perhaps you should check what your employees are telling your stockists of CT1 about the change to OB1.
Please also check through all my posts and check the dozens of times I have promoted the use of CT1 to the members here and the advice I have given about its applications in many many situations.
I don't recall you threatening me about all that promotion of your product - I will certainly not be doing that again.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Troll alert!

viago

Visit site

welcome to the forum.

an interesting way to ingratiate yourself into this little community.

i was wondering if you feel this somewhat confrontational attitude does anything to promote either yourself or your products?

might i suggest you start again and should you feel any mutterings here are inaccurate or misleading that you take the time to explain the situation as you see it without resorting to threat.

fyi i have been using ct1 for many years and find it a first rate product.

based entirely on your approach my instinct is to give mr kinobi a spin around the block.

Last edited:

Aquaboy

Visit site
Errrr........ I always get confused by this. Silicone is a lubricant yet people wonder why I doesn't stick

Tomahawk

Visit site

Wow...

When I read the "statement". I thought good on you lot to have a go and try to keep your jobs.
But yur reaction persuades me to avoid your product and your company.

SAMYL

Visit site
CTec have confirmed by email that CT1 is made in the UK, so it looks as if the OP is wrong about Latvia.

I was only repeating what my local builders supplier, where I bought my CT1, told me what the reps from the CT1 company had been telling him.

Don't shoot the messenger :rolleyes: