Scottish red ensign

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Even so, no harm is done. If people want to, let them. I appreciate it’s not legal for going foreign, though the French don’t seem to complain. I daresay if you’re a polite, friendly sort it’s fine, but it might be a stick to beat you with if you’re a miserable bar steward.

lustyd

Visit site
I appreciate it’s not legal for going foreign
It's not illegal either as far as I can tell, just that the Navy won't be obliged to come to your aid if needed. I suspect the actual Saltire would draw fewer negative comments since it's a real flag of a country, while the one on red is not a real flag at all so may be taken as either a joke or an insult depending who you meet, but certainly not as an ensign or a national flag since it is neither.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It's not illegal either as far as I can tell, just that the Navy won't be obliged to come to your aid if needed. I suspect the actual Saltire would draw fewer negative comments since it's a real flag of a country, while the one on red is not a real flag at all so may be taken as either a joke or an insult depending who you meet, but certainly not as an ensign or a national flag since it is neither.
I thought the regs say that the ensign/ flag SHALL be displayed. Which would make flying the wrong one illegal, but not many are going to take it so seriously.

lustyd

Visit site
I thought the regs say that the ensign/ flag SHALL be displayed. Which would make flying the wrong one illegal, but not many are going to take it so seriously.
I thought it was the other way around. You're not allowed to wear the wrong one for your registered state, but you're not technically obliged to have a registered state or ensign. I'm sure some places would insist with local laws, so wouldn't dream of trying to sail internationally as unregistered.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I thought it was the other way around. You're not allowed to wear the wrong one for your registered state, but you're not technically obliged to have a registered state or ensign. I'm sure some places would insist with local laws, so wouldn't dream of trying to sail internationally as unregistered.
You could easily be right. We’d both do the same thing, so its not high on the urgent list.

jamie N

Visit site
In Kerrera a few weeks ago, I was discussing flags, ensigns & courtesy flags together with a couple of crews from German & French boats, that had both gone to great lengths to ensure that they'd the proper national flag for each separate country in the UK, and were concerned that on Orkney & Shetland they'd give offence by not having their flags.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
In Kerrera a few weeks ago, I was discussing flags, ensigns & courtesy flags together with a couple of crews from German & French boats, that had both gone to great lengths to ensure that they'd the proper national flag for each separate country in the UK, and were concerned that on Orkney & Shetland they'd give offence by not having their flags.

Is Britain’s reputation abroad that that bad?