Scottish red ensign

Frogmogman

Visit site
Even so, no harm is done. If people want to, let them. I appreciate it’s not legal for going foreign, though the French don’t seem to complain. I daresay if you’re a polite, friendly sort it’s fine, but it might be a stick to beat you with if you’re a miserable bar steward.
The French would probably like it. Tha auld alliance and all that.

How about a red ensign defaced with the lion rampant ?

srm

Visit site
and were concerned that on Orkney & Shetland they'd give offence by not having their flags.
A slightly faded Norwegian flag is the same as the Orkney flag. I remember a visiting Norwegian commenting favourably on the large number of Norwegian flags he saw in Kirkwall marina.
Not sure what the new owner of my last boat will make of it, but the flag collection included a nice big Shetland flag.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
A slightly faded Norwegian flag is the same as the Orkney flag. I remember a visiting Norwegian commenting favourably on the large number of Norwegian flags he saw in Kirkwall marina.
Not sure what the new owner of my last boat will make of it, but the flag collection included a nice big Shetland flag.
The Orkney flag probably is the Norwegian flag. The Norwegians left them flying when they were last in charge.

Aja

Visit site
Code flag M
M
Mike

[maɪk]
"My vessel is stopped and making no way through the water."

Which is sold in most chandleries as a 'Scottish Saltire' isn't. It's the wrong colour. It should be azure.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Code flag M
M
Mike

[maɪk]
"My vessel is stopped and making no way through the water."

Which is sold in most chandleries as a 'Scottish Saltire' isn't. It's the wrong colour. It should be azure.

Pantone 300 is the official colour

srm

Visit site
The Orkney flag probably is the Norwegian flag. The Norwegians left them flying when they were last in charge.
Its a bit more complicated than that:
A Shetlander designed their flag in the 80's, at first unofficial then eventually became accepted and ratified by the archaic body that governs such things. A few years later Orkney followed suit, using the same danborg cross as the Shetland version but red on a yellow ground. This was used unofficially for a few years then the Islands' Council decided to make it official. However, the archaic body decided that this was not possible as that flag had been used by some minor state that ceased to exist over 300 years ago. Instead they came up with the current official flag; basically a faded version of the Norwegian flag.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
I thought the regs say that the ensign/ flag SHALL be displayed. Which would make flying the wrong one illegal, but not many are going to take it so seriously.
Merchant Shipping Act Part 1, Section 5 - Duty to Show British Flag:

5Duty to show British flag.​

(1)Subject to subsection (2) below, a British ship, other than a fishing vessel, shall hoist the red ensign or other proper national colours—(i. E. White, Blue, defaced Blue or Red Ensigns)

(a)on a signal being made to the ship by one of Her Majesty’s ships (including any ship under the command of a commissioned naval officer); and

(b)on entering or leaving any foreign port; and

(c)in the case of ships of 50 or more tons gross tonnage, on entering or leaving any British port.